Home Remedies And Lifestyle
At-home treatments for herpes are used to relieve pain. They do nothing to alter the course of the infection but can make you more comfortable as the herpes sores begin to heal.
There are several things you can do if have an outbreak of oral or genital herpes:
- Use a cold compress. Place a cloth-covered ice pack on the sores for 15 minutes several times daily to reduce pain. Keep the ice pack moving to prevent frostbite.
- Do not touch or scratch. Avoid touching and rubbing the sores. Doing so can spread the infection to other areas of the skin.
- Keep the sores clean. Herpes sores can become infected with bacteria if touched with soiled hands. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after going to the bathroom or before applying medications.
- Reduce stress. Stress can increase your sensitivity to pain during a herpes outbreak. You can reduce stress by performing gentle exercises or practicing mind-body therapies like meditation, yoga, and guided imagery.
To reduce the risk of spreading herpes, avoid kissing and sharing objects that come into contact with saliva, like drinking straws and eating utensils.
Itâs important to note that oral herpes can be spread to the genitals, and that genital herpes can be spread to the mouth. To reduce the risk of infection, use condoms and dental dams during oral sex. Better yet, avoid sex altogether if you are having an active herpes outbreak .
How Can I Best Learn To Cope With Herpes Simplex
Some people feel distressed or embarrassed about their herpes simplex infection. Its important to understand that the herpes virus is common. For most people, herpes doesnt significantly interfere with daily life.
To cope with negative feelings, you may consider:
- Connecting with others through support groups or online forums.
- Sharing your feelings with a trusted friend or loved one.
- Speaking with a therapist.
Why Are My Herpes Outbreaks Getting Worse
Manypeople with herpes go to the forum and ask a so common question Why aremy herpes outbreaks getting worse? If youre in the same situation, thisarticle is for you.
Herpesis a common skin infection in the United States. It has 2 main types includingoral herpes and genital herpes . Accordingto the NCHS, half of Americans have oral herpes and 12% of adults have genitalherpes. This means that anyone can contract herpes at some point in theirlifetime.
Differentpeople may have different symptoms. While some people have 1 or 2 outbreaks peryear, others have more than 5 outbreaks. Without treatment, herpes can go awayon its own in 2-3 weeks. However, symptoms are very painful and you can developoutbreaks frequently. In some cases, herpes may get worse and there are manyreasons for this.
Read Also: How To Make Herpes Not Contagious
When To See A Doctor
Most of the time, cold sores go away on their own within a couple of weeks. If your cold sore lingers beyond 2 weeks, it might be time to check with your healthcare professional.
If you feel like youre constantly dealing with cold sores several times a year or more thats another good reason to check with your doctor. You may benefit from a prescription-strength antiviral medication.
Other reasons to see your doctor:
- sores near your eyes
- sores that have spread to other parts of your body
If you have eczema, which is also called atopic dermatitis, you may have some cracked or bleeding areas on your skin. If HSV-1 spreads into those openings, it can cause complications, according to the National Eczema Association.
What Are The Risk Factors For Herpes Simplex Infections
The virus can also be shed from saliva when there are no visible lesions. This is called “asymptomatic shedding.” Therefore, a person can be contagious without having a cold sore outbreak.
- Direct contact with the virus, from kissing or sharing personal items, or skin-to-skin contact, will increase the chance of getting infected with HSV.
- Abnormal areas of skin such as eczema may be especially prone to herpes infection.
- Health care workers, such as dentists, dental hygienists, and respiratory therapists, are at risk of developing herpetic whitlow because of contact with people’s mouths.
- Medical conditions or treatments that weaken a person’s immune system can increase the risk of severe complications from the virus. These include:
Oral herpes is contagious to others who do not have it.
Don’t Miss: How To Heal Herpes Outbreak Quickly
Why Do I Keep Getting Cold Sores
If youve ever patiently nursed a pesky cold sore back to health just to have it pop up again in a few weeks, you understand the pain of recurring cold sores. But why does this happen? Why can a person keep getting cold sores one after another? Below, well investigate the reason behind the phenomenon of recurring cold sores and give you some tips and tricks on how to avoid spreading the virus.
What Is The Outlook For Patients Who Have Cold Sores
The majority of people who develop cold sores learn to live with and manage their outbreaks. In healthy people, cold sores usually clear up in one to two weeks and have no lasting effects. However, in young babies, immunocompromised people and those with eczema, cold sores can cause life-threatening infections.
Don’t Miss: What Are Hiv Hpv And Herpes
Try Essential Oils At Genital/mouth Sores
Essential oils are extracted from medicinal plants, where they get their healing properties from.
However, these are potent liquids that can be too harsh on the skin if applied directly. So, you will have to dilute them in a carrier oil such as olive oil or coconut oil before application.
Some of the most recommended essential oils for healing genital and oral herpes are tea tree oil, thyme oil, and ginger oil.
How to use:
You can either use them all together or individually, but make sure to add olive oil/coconut oil to the mix as well. Apply the oil blend to the infected area.
At What Stage Is Herpes Contagious
It is crucial to take measures to prevent the spread of herpes. These include using condoms and dental dams, refraining from sexual activity and touching, including kissing , when you are experiencing an outbreak.
A great way to prevent herpes and the spread of herpes is by using prescription medication from a doctor. Wait until your sores have healed and the scabs have fallen off before having sex again. Dont touch your sores, as this is an easy way to spread the virus.
Recommended Reading: Can You Have Kids With Herpes
Topical Treatments For Early Cold Sores
There are several ways to treat cold sores while theyre still in the itching/tingling stage. If you rarely get cold sores, over-the-counter topical treatments like docosanol can provide a modest amount of relief and potentially shorten the amount of time needed for the cold sore to heal.
Topical medications are only effective on the area to which theyre applied, meaning youll need to use the medication over the area surrounding the cold sore as it begins to form.
Most topical medications will speed up the healing process, but theyre rarely the best option for preventing cold sores. If you get frequent outbreaks, the best option is usually to treat your cold sores using oral antiviral medication
Home Remedies For Herpes On Lips Using Lemon Balm
Lemon balm is also one of the top home remedies for herpes on lips. Lemon balm helps to heal herpes because it owns antiviral and antibacterial properties. Besides, lemon balm acts as a great natural pain reliever thanks to a compound named eugenol in it.
Take some lemon balm at first and directly apply on your lips. After that, leave this balm for a couple of minutes till it completely dries. To cope with herpes on lips, continue this process about 3 to 4 times per day.
- 4 to 5 lemon balm leaves or 2 tbsp of dried lemon balm leaves.
- 2 cups of boiling water
Add dried lemon balm or 3 to 4 fresh leaves of lemon balm to two cups of boiling water. Next, steep it for fifteen minutes and leave it to cool naturally. Then, strain the tea and consume it warm. Or, cleaning the affected area with this tea compress is also very effective. Follow this process 2-3 times in a day to remove herpes on the lips.
You May Like: How To Treat Herpes On Face
Also Check: What Percentage Of The Us Has Herpes
When To Seek Medical Care
When to call the doctor
- Because the sores are painful, you may have difficulty eating or drinking. To prevent dehydration, call your doctor as soon as you cannot eat or drink.
- Call your doctor immediately if any of these symptoms, which suggest dehydration, occur:
- A decrease in urination
When to go to the hospital
Signs and symptoms of dehydration may warrant going to a hospital’s emergency department.
Can I Treat Herpes Simplex At Home
Avoiding known triggers, such as illness or stress, can help reduce how often you have herpes outbreaks.
How can I ease my symptoms during an outbreak of HSV-1 ?
- Over-the-counter creams such as L-lysine, benzocaine or docosanol .
- Applying ice to blisters or sores.
How can I ease my symptoms during an outbreak of HSV-2 ?
- Apply an ice pack to your genitals. Wrap the ice pack in a washcloth or apply it over your underwear.
- Keep your genitals dry. Wear cotton or other nonsynthetic underpants and avoid tight-fitting clothes. Moist sores take longer to heal.
- Soak in a warm bath.
- Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve pain.
- Topical 1% or 2% lidocaine may be used as a topical analgesic.
Also Check: How Effective Is Antiviral Medication For Herpes
Simple Treatments For The Relief Of Discomfort
- Wear loose underclothes, preferably cotton , to help minimise discomfort and allow healing.
- Use plain water or saline solution with cotton wool to clean and soothe the area. To make a saline solution, use 1 teaspoon of salt in 600ml of water or a handful of salt in a shallow bath.
- Dont use scented soaps, bubble bath, etc in the area, as these may irritate it.
- Using a hairdryer on its lowest setting to dry the area may be more comfortable than using a towel.
- Pain relief medication such as paracetamol and ibuprofen may ease the pain. Check with your pharmacist or other health professional whether taking these is suitable for you.
- Ice wrapped in a face cloth or flannel and placed over the sores for 510 minutes may be soothing. Dont apply ice directly to the sores as this can cause ice burn.
- If you find peeing painful, try applying VaselineÂ® to the area or sitting in a warm bath before urinating or using a pump bottle full of water and spraying water on yourself while peeing.
- You can also try applying a pain relief cream such as lignocaine cream to the painful area. This is applied 5 minutes before peeing and should be used for a maximum of 12 days.
- Drink plenty of fluids as this dilutes your pee and may help reduce stinging.
Also Check: Can You Get Hiv From Herpes 2
What Is Herpes Simplex
Herpes simplex is a virus that causes skin infections. The infection lasts your lifetime, and it causes painful or itchy sores and blisters that come and go. Herpes simplex virus typically doesnt cause severe problems. But it can be dangerous in infants and people with weakened immune systems. There are two types of herpes simplex:
- Herpes simplex 1 tends to affect your mouth or face. It causes cold sores. HSV-1 spreads through contact with saliva .
- Herpes simplex 2 is a sexually transmitted disease . It causes sores on skin that comes in contact with the genitals of an infected person.
Sometimes a herpes infection can affect other parts of your body, such as your eyes or other parts of your skin.
Recommended Reading: What Medicine Prevents The Spread Of Herpes
Treatment Of Cold Sores
Currently, there are no cures or vaccines for cold sores caused by the herpes simplex virus . Frequent hand washing will help reduce the spread of the virus to other parts of the body or to other people. Also, applying cool, moist compresses to the lesion may decrease pain and keep the lesion from drying and cracking.
- Many people acquire the virus and have no symptoms or signs.
- For others, painful fluid-filled small blisters appear near the area where the virus entered the body.
- Typically, the blisters heal completely but may reappear at some point in the future.
- In between attacks, the virus resides deep in the roots of the nerves of the involved area.
- When herpes simplex flare-ups appear in their most common location, around the mouth, chin, and upper lip, people often refer to them as “cold sores” or “fever blisters.”
- Oral herpes may cause ulcers, fluid-filled blisters, or sores anywhere inside the mouth, including the gums and the tongue.
- It may also cause sores inside the nose and around the nostrils. Herpes may also affect the eye.
Easy Herpes Pain Relief Tips
While herpes has no cure, even though there are methods to stop outbreaks, there are none that are totally fool-proof. The following tips can help relieve your herpes pain and discomfort.
You May Like: How Long Does It Take To Test For Herpes
How Do Dermatologists Treat Herpes Simplex
There is no cure for herpes simplex. The good news is that sores often clear without treatment. Many people choose to treat herpes simplex because treatment can relieve symptoms and shorten an outbreak.
Most people are treated with an antiviral medicine. An antiviral cream or ointment can relieve the burning, itching, or tingling. An antiviral medicine that is oral or intravenous can shorten an outbreak of herpes.
Prescription antiviral medicines approved for the treatment of both types of herpes simplex include:
Taken daily, these medicines can lessen the severity and frequency of outbreaks. They also can help prevent infected people from spreading the virus.
How Far Away Is A Cure For Herpes
Theres currently no cure for herpes, but that might change in the future.
According to 2020 research published in Nature, scientists from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center removed 90 percent of the HSV-1 virus from cells in mice using gene editing.
However, it takes time to transition potential treatments from animals to humans. In a 2020 news article, one of the researchers that authored the Nature paper estimated that it would be at least 3 years before human trials.
Scientists are also researching the possibility of creating a vaccine to prevent herpes. A 2022 study outlined a new approach to developing an mRNA vaccine for herpes. The vaccine mentioned in the study worked well in mice and guinea pigs.
The researchers say that theyre aiming to conduct human trials before the end of 2022, and the vaccine could be available within the next 10 years.
Donât Miss: How To Cure Vaginal Herpes
Also Check: What Does Herpes Look Like On Lips
What Does Herpes Look Like
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Heres our process.
Herpes sores can affect many areas of the body, including the mouth, genitals, and eyes. Knowing what herpes looks like across the body can help people diagnose the condition.
Herpes is a skin condition caused by the herpes simplex virus. The symptoms include sores that come and go over time. Different types of herpes affect different body parts.
This article will explain what herpes is, how people get it, and what herpes looks like with pictures.
Most people with HSV are asymptomatic, meaning they will not experience any symptoms. Others will notice sores or lesions. These sores look like blisters filled with fluid. Over a few days, the sores break open, ooze, and form a crust before healing.
People may also notice a tingling, itching, or burning feeling a few days before the sores appear. Some people may also experience flu-like symptoms, such as:
Someone who has contracted the virus will usually have their first sores, or an outbreak, between 2 and 20 days later. The sores may last up to a week or 10 days.
An outbreak may involve a single sore or a cluster of sores. They often affect the skin around the mouth, the genitals, or the rectum. The blisters can take between 2 and 4 weeks to heal.
The symptoms will usually reappear from time to time, though they do not tend to be as severe as the first time.