What Are The Complications Of Genital Herpes
Genital herpes may cause painful genital ulcers that can be severe and persistent in persons with suppressed immune systems, such as HIV-infected persons. 5 Both HSV-1 and HSV-2 can also cause rare but serious complications such as aseptic meningitis . 5 Development of extragenital lesions may occur during the course of infection. 5
Can I Treat Herpes Simplex At Home
Avoiding known triggers, such as illness or stress, can help reduce how often you have herpes outbreaks.
How can I ease my symptoms during an outbreak of HSV-1 ?
- Over-the-counter creams such as L-lysine, benzocaine or docosanol .
- Applying ice to blisters or sores.
How can I ease my symptoms during an outbreak of HSV-2 ?
- Apply an ice pack to your genitals. Wrap the ice pack in a washcloth or apply it over your underwear.
- Keep your genitals dry. Wear cotton or other nonsynthetic underpants and avoid tight-fitting clothes. Moist sores take longer to heal.
- Soak in a warm bath.
- Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve pain.
- Topical 1% or 2% lidocaine may be used as a topical analgesic.
How To Reduce Cold Sore Swelling & Pain At Home Fast
Cold sores hurt even more when theyre swollen. From when they first erupt to the time they form a nasty scab, theyre uncomfortable and unattractive. But there are ways to lessen the pain and reduce the time they take to heal. You understandably want to know how to reduce cold sore swelling overnight so that you can look better and feel more confident.
Cold sores start to fill up with a clear liquid, so theyre going to grow bigger. The problem is exacerbated by infection and irritation, which causes cold sores to swell up further. Youll likely notice that the skin around the cold sores turns a pinky-red and becomes painful to touch.
Although swelling makes cold sores more noticeable, you shouldnt try to cover them up with makeup. That will only cause them to look worse, as the makeup will start to crack. It wont allow the cold sore to breathe, and this will lengthen the time it takes to heal. If you do want to hide the swelling, you can do so with the Compeed Invisible Cold Sore Patch. This will treat the cold sores, as well as hiding them from staring glances.
In this article, we will let you know how to heal a swollen cold sore. Well look at the best over-the-counter cold sore medicines and some 100% natural treatments. While theres no current cure available, youll find out ways of reducing the swelling so that you can recover in just 3 days.
Also Check: How To Take Valacyclovir For Genital Herpes
Don’t Miss: What Is Anti Herpes Medication
Home Remedies And Lifestyle
There are some things that you can do at home to lessen the pain of a cold sore or genital herpes, prevent worsening of your condition, and reduce the risk of spreading the infection to others.
- Apply cold compresses: Place a well-insulated ice pack on your lesions for as long as it makes you feel better. The cold will not worsen or improve the lesion, but it can lessen the pain.
- Dont scratch: Avoid touching and scratching lesions caused by herpes, as this can spread the infection to other areas of your own skin.
- Keep the sores clean: Cold sores and genital herpes infections can become infected with bacteria from your hands or, in the latter case, from urine or feces. Keep the sores and blisters, and the areas around them, clean and dry to avoid an additional infection.
- Reduce stress: Stress can affect how well your immune system can keep your herpes infection in check. Reducing your stress may help prevent excessive herpes recurrences.
How To Get Rid Of Genital Herpes Fast: Is It Possible
The herpes simplex virus type 2, better known as genital herpes, is a sexually transmitted infection without a known cure. Although its not yet possible to permanently get rid of genital herpes, a number of techniques are proven to speed up the recovery of an outbreak and reduce unwanted symptoms.
You may recognize a genital herpes outbreak by the appearance of blisters and lesions. Most people experience their first outbreak two to 12 days after initial exposure to the virus. After the blisters break, it may take up to four weeks for herpes ulcers to heal.
After the first outbreak, recurring outbreaks are common but dont last nearly as long. Sores tend to heal within three to seven days in recurring outbreaks, and the number of outbreak periods may even decrease over time.
You May Like: Genital Herpes On Inner Thigh
Herpes Symptoms And Signs
In order to diagnose herpes, a health care provider can swab an area of visibly active herpes infection or, if symptoms arent active, a blood test can be given that measures the number of herpes antibodies present in the body. The antibodies dont indicate herpes itself, but rather show the immune systems response to the presence of the virus in the body. Its important to note that sometimes a swab can give false negative results since herpes lesions need to be large enough to yield enough detectable virus and if the outbreak is already healing it also may not be detected in a swab.
The most common herpes symptoms include:
- Developing either a single cold sore or cluster of multiple cold sores that form on the lips, inside the mouth, or on the genitals, buttocks and upper thighs.
- Sores can sometimes be severe, painful and rupture and cause fluid to be secreted out.
- Some herpes canker sores develop a thin, white coating and burn when touched while they healing.
- Around herpes cold sores, its common to feel pain, tenderness and other symptoms of a rash, such as redness or signs of swelling.
- Some people are able to tell before an outbreak if one is going to occur because they feel tingling, itchy sensations near the affected area.
- Some people develop other symptoms during herpes outbreaks that are similar to those caused by a cold or the flu. This may include fatigue, irritability, aches or a slight fever.
Preventing The Spread Of Herpes
Even when you do not have sores, you can pass the virus to someone during sexual or other close contact. To protect others:
- Let any sexual partner know that you have herpes before having sex. Allow them to decide what to do.
- Use latex or polyurethane condoms, and avoid sex during symptomatic outbreaks.
- Do not kiss or have oral sex when you have a sore on the lips or inside the mouth.
- Do not share your towels, toothbrush, or lipstick. Make sure dishes and utensils you use are washed well with detergent before others use them.
- Wash your hands well with soap and water after touching a sore.
- Consider using daily antiviral medicine to limit viral shedding and reduce the risk of passing the virus to your partner.
- You may also want to consider getting your partner tested even if they have never had an outbreak. If you both have the herpes virus, there is no risk for transmission.
You May Like: How Do You Stop Herpes From Spreading
You May Like: When You Have Herpes Do You Take Medicine Everyday
Can Cold Sores Be Cured In 1 Day At Home
Curing bubble rashes on the lips quickly in one day is difficult. The manifested herpes goes through different stages of development: the vesicles containing serous fluid burst, forming crusts. The passage of the virus relapse cycle takes 7 to 9 days. Then a pink spot remains at the site of inflammation, which turns pale after a while.
However, it is possible to prevent the clinical manifestation of the disease bubble rashes on the lips. Treatment should be started before the rash occurs, at the initial stage of infection activation, when there is a burning sensation, itching, pain in the lips. The site of inflammation must be lubricated with an antiviral cream. Early treatment will prevent the development of cold sores on the lips.
It is necessary to use a cream, ointment based on the same active substance as tablets that are taken from the virus: for example, tablets based on acyclovir and cream based on acyclovir.
Table 2 lists the topical medications for the treatment of herpes virus. table 2
|Ointment||3-5 times a day|
Herbal preparations based on St. Johns wort and licorice also have an effective effect against viruses. Also, Epigen Labial vegetable cream is used to treat herpes infection. It significantly reduces the recovery period of mucocutaneous inflammation, as it contains salts of glycyrrhizic acid. With strong weeping, itching, Epigen cream, Allomedin gel, interferon in the form of a gel Viferon are used.
How Can My Dentist Help With A Coldsore
We thought youd never ask.
In addition to the usual creams and anti-viral treatment out there, we have a less fiddly, one-off treatment that works wonders in minutes.
At Warragul Dental Care we have a laser that can literally zap the virus away. Its low level laser treatment that targets the cold sore and stops the Herpes virus in its tracks. Its completely painless and the full treatment takes no more than 20 minutes.
All we do is hold the laser over the cold sore for a few minutes and youre done! The only downside is that you wont have enough time to watch a full episode of your favourite Netflix show during the treatment.
Youll get immediate relief from the blisters and within a few days the scabs should have completely disappeared.
Read Also: Can You Get Rid Of Herpes 1
Don’t Miss: What To Put On Herpes Scabs
Symptoms Of Genital Herpes
Many people who have genital herpes may not be aware they have the infection, because they may not have any symptoms.
The first episode of herpes can cause considerable pain and distress. Symptoms of the first episode may include:
- flu-like symptoms such as feeling unwell, headaches and pains in the back and legs, with or without enlarged glands in the groin
- small blisters around the genitals these break open to form shallow, painful ulcers, which scab over and heal after one to two weeks
- small cracks in the skin with or without an itch or tingling
- redness or a distinct rash
- some people also have considerable pain and swelling in the genital area, and hence may have additional pain and difficulty passing urine.
Dont Miss: How Long Can I Live With Herpes
How To Treat Herpes Scars
If you do end up with scarring from herpes sores, you may be able to reduce their appearance with home treatments. Keep in mind that many scars fade gradually on their own, even without treatment.
Be aware that evidence for the effectiveness of these treatments is mostly anecdotal. Theres little clinical evidence to support these claims.
Home treatments for herpes scars include:
- Vitamin E. You can purchase vitamin E in gel caps in the vitamin section of your drug store or online. Pierce the capsule with a needle and squeeze out the liquid. Rub the liquid on the scar, massaging gently for three to five minutes. Repeat this daily as long as you see results.
- Coconut oil. Some claim that coconut oil can help to reduce scarring over time, though research is mixed. To use coconut oil on your herpes scar, heat the oil in the microwave, making sure its not too hot. Gently massage the oil into the scar and the area directly around it. Repeat one to two times per day until youre satisfied with the change.
- Aloe vera. This cooling product may be commonly associated with burns, but it may also help ease scarring. Apply the gel directly to the scars. Leave it on for 30 minutes, then rinse with warm water and soap.
These home remedies for scarring usually wont get rid of a scar completely.
Recommended Reading: Do Most People Have Herpes
Antivirals That Require A Prescription
- Acyclovir is a prescription medication used to improve the healing of sores or blisters caused by a number of conditions, including first-time and repeat outbreaks of genital herpes. It works by slowing or stopping the spread of the herpes virus within the body, but it cannot cure genital herpes.
- Valacyclovir is another antiviral prescription drug used to treat genital herpes and shingles. Taken twice a day for five days, Valtrex may decrease uncomfortable symptoms and help sores heal faster. In some cases, this antiviral can also prevent new sores from forming.
Consider Home Remedies And Over
Antiviral medications may only be prescribed for those who have recurrent cold sores. For an occasional sore that does not need a prescription medication, over-the-counter products or natural remedies may help with healing and appearance.
Some steps that people can take to treat cold sores early include the following:
- Docosanol is an over-the-counter treatment that may shorten a cold sores duration. Like prescription medicines, it works best when taken at the earliest stage. Abreva can also be purchased online.
- Other over-the-counter cold sore products that contain tea tree oil, menthol, and antibacterial agents may also be helpful in managing the pain. Various products are available to purchase online.
- Rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide may help dry out the sore and speed up healing. People should stop using it, however, if it causes more pain or irritation.
- Topical or oral numbing medicines, which can be purchased in stores, can help with discomfort. These may be safe for children, but caregivers should ask a pediatric doctor before using them on a child.
- Cold packs, ice, or cold foods and drinks may help soothe the area. They may also help with the healing process by fighting inflammation.
Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus . Though HSV can be spread through sexual contact, the HSV that causes cold sores is not usually spread this way.
Once a person gets HSV, they will have it for life as the virus stays in the body and has no cure.
How To Prevent Cold Sores
Prevention of cold sores largely depends on how an individual cares for themselves by observing and also keeping measures to the required levels. These include self-care and cautionary steps such as
- Avoiding kissing with individuals diagnosed with herpes simplex on lips
- Keeping the sores clean with plain cool water
- If it is discovered that sunlight triggers recurrence you better stay away from sun when outdoors
- Avoid making skin contacts especially with one who has had HSV reactivated
- It will also be of help if you stopped sharing towels, lipstick and other lip cosmetic products
Sometimes antiviral medicines , when taken as per your doctors descriptions, will help avoid the recurrence of a cold sore on the lip in the future.
Treating Swollen Lips From Allergic Reactions
If you have swollen, red and itchy lips for no reason, it could be caused by allergies. Avoid contact with allergens e.g. some foods that cause the allergy, pet dander, latex, lip care products some medications, pollen grains, etc.
Secondly, reduce lip swelling from allergies, ensure you get an antihistamine such as benadryl to reduce the allergic reaction as well as apply cold compresses. For excessive swelling, you might be required to take oral corticosteroids for fast action.
If you suffer from an extreme allergic reaction, that will have other severe symptoms other than the lip swelling, see a doctor since some allergic reactions such as anaphylaxis allergy is life threatening and it can cause death.
Also Check: Do We All Have Herpes
Home Remedies For Herpes On Lips Using Garlic
One of the most effective home remedies for herpes on lips is using garlic since it is full of anti-inflammatory properties. It will help subside its symptoms and give instant relief from the swelling, pain, and itching and burning sensation. Eating raw garlic every day in your diet is also very useful in dealing with this condition.
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves
Take 4-5 cloves of garlic and finely chop them or grind them to make a fine paste. Next, to the garlic paste, mix 2 teaspoons of honey and mix well. Swallow this mixture slowly to fight herpes as well as the reoccurrence. To cure herpes on lips fast, follow this process daily for some days.
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup of olive oil
You need to peel 5-6 garlic cloves then crush them softly. Next, pour olive oil in 1 pan and heat it. Into the oil, add the crushed garlic and then cook until the color of garlic becomes brown. Strain the oil afterwards and keep it in 1 bottle. Apply on the affected areas with the oil. To remove herpes on lips soon, its suggested to repeat this process twice to thrice in a day.
Treating A Herpes Cold Sore
Because a herpes cold sore is caused by the virus, it needs to be treated with antiviral medicines. These medicines include:
- Valacyclovir , Famciclovir and Acyclovir . These meds can help to relieve pain and discomfort. Also, they can keep the sores from popping up in the first place. To get the best results, you need to take them before an outbreak occurs. Once the sores are present, these medicines will not help much.
- Prosurx- Nanomedicine HSV-1 & HSV-2 treatment. Prosurx is one of the best over-the-counter topical medicines to treat a herpes cold sore. This cream can provide immediate relief from herpes symptoms. Also, it can help to prevent the sores before they start. Prosurx can attack HSV-1 at its root, thus helping prevent future outbreaks. You can apply this every time you think you have a herpes cold sore. This will stop your outbreak, soothe the symptoms and heal your damaged skin.
Donât Miss: How Would I Know If I Have Herpes
Also Check: How To Stop Genital Herpes From Spreading