Is There A Cure For Genital Herpes
Treatment of genital herpes does not cure the disease. The virus usually lives in an infected person throughout their lifetime. Most people with genital herpes will have recurring outbreaks â sometimes 6 to 10 a year. Recurrences are likely to have less severe symptoms and sores usually last a shorter period of time.
How To Get Rid Of Genital Herpes Fast: Is It Possible
The herpes simplex virus type 2, better known as genital herpes, is a sexually transmitted infection without a known cure. Although its not yet possible to permanently get rid of genital herpes, a number of techniques are proven to speed up the recovery of an outbreak and reduce unwanted symptoms.
You may recognize a genital herpes outbreak by the appearance of blisters and lesions. Most people experience their first outbreak two to 12 days after initial exposure to the virus. After the blisters break, it may take up to four weeks for herpes ulcers to heal.
After the first outbreak, recurring outbreaks are common but dont last nearly as long. Sores tend to heal within three to seven days in recurring outbreaks, and the number of outbreak periods may even decrease over time.
What Are The Symptoms Of Herpes
Many people with genital herpes wonât get any symptoms, or may get symptoms for the first time months or even years after they were infected.
For most people, the first blisters go away within a month. Although the outbreaks clear-up by themselves, the virus stays in the body. This means that people usually get blisters again â which is called having a ârecurrent outbreakâ. Outbreaks usually become shorter and less severe over time.
Other symptoms can include:
tingling or burning around the genitals
feeling unwell, with aches, pains and flu-like symptoms
unusual vaginal discharge in women.
Recommended Reading: How To Control Genital Herpes
How Does Herpes Simplex Spread
Herpes spreads through close contact with a person who has the infection. The virus can be found in skin and saliva. If you have herpes simplex, you are most likely to pass the virus to another person when you have sores. But you can infect someone else even if you have no symptoms. Healthcare providers call this asymptomatic viral shedding.
People may get HSV-1 through
- Touching a persons skin near the mouth.
- Sharing food utensils, lip balm or razors.
- If you receive oral sex from someone who has a cold sore, it may spread a herpes infection to your genitals.
People may get HSV-2 through
- Oral sex with someone whos infected.
- Skin-to-skin contact without ejaculation.
- Touching open sores, including while breastfeeding.
- Childbirth by a mother or gestational parent who has an active infection.
You cant get genital herpes from objects like toilet seats. But you could pass genital herpes through shared sex toys.
Can Cold Sores Be Cured
Between outbreaks, HSV-1 hides inside your nerve cells, so it is never completely cured. After the first infection, the virus lays dormant inside the nerve cells of your face for the rest of your life. Although spontaneous recurrences are possible, a wide variety of internal and external triggers may lead to the virus transforming from dormant state to rapidly increasing number, leading to an outbreak of cold sores. These triggers cannot be generalized as they can differ for everyone, this means that certain events in your life can wake up the virus and lead to a recurrent cold sore outbreak. Knowing what triggers an outbreak for you is an important step to manage your cold sore outbreaks.
You May Like: Can Herpes Type 2 Be Cured
If You Have Genital Herpes Already Can It Be Spread To Other Parts Of The Body Such As The Arms Or Legs
No. Genital herpes cannot be transmitted to another part of your body such as your arm, leg or hand after the first infection occurs. If you have genital HSV II, you will not get HSV II at another site in your body. The immune system produces antibodies that protect other parts of your body from infection. However, there are cases where a person has multiple site infections from the same virus. This is usually acquired at the time of the first infection. For example, if someone has never had herpes but then has oral and genital sex with an infected partner, they can acquire the infection at both sites.
How To Get Rid Of Herpes Overnight
Unfortunately, it is impossible to get rid of the symptoms of a herpes outbreak overnight. Whilst there are genital herpes treatments designed to reduce the duration and severity of recurrences, no products exist that can eliminate the outbreak entirely within one day .
Medical intervention â along with homeopathic remedies â can reduce the discomfort, pain and length of a flare-up.
You May Like: Can I Have Sex With Herpes
What Makes Herpes Recur
After infection, the virus enters the nerve cells and travels up the nerve until it comes to a place called a ganglion. There, it resides quietly in a stage that is referred to as “dormant” or “latent.” At times, the virus can become active and start replicating again and travel down the nerve to the skin, causing a cold sore outbreak. The exact mechanism behind this is not clear, but it is known that some conditions seem to trigger recurrences, including:
- fever, cold, or the flu
- emotional or physical stress
- weakening of the immune system and
- trauma to the involved area such as dental work.
Sometimes, however, there is no apparent cause of the recurrence.
How To Heal Herpes Sores Faster
An outbreak of genital herpes can be upsetting and painful – so it comes as no surprise that if you are experiencing an outbreak, you want to know how to heal herpes sores faster than traditional methods of management.
The herpes simplex virus is a sexually transmitted disease categorized into two main variations, HSV-1 and HSV-2. While HSV-1 is primarily associated with cold sores that surface during times of stress or lack of sleep, genital sores attributed to HSV-2 frequently cause discomfort and pain.
This pain, coupled with the embarrassment and anxiety of a flare-up, often leaves infected individuals seeking medical aid to reduce their symptoms, and heal sores faster.
This article will explore the various methods utilised to successfully lessen the intensity of a genital herpes outbreak.
Don’t Miss: Can Herpes Be Cured Permanently
When To See A Healthcare Professional
If you notice any signs of infection or youre not sure of the cause of the blister, contact your healthcare provider to help determine if there are any underlying conditions causing the blister and to prescribe medication to treat any infections.
Signs of infection include:
- Pus, a yellow or green discharge from the blister
- Painful or hot area around the blister
- Red streaks around the blister
What Tests Do Health Care Professionals Use To Diagnose Oral Herpes
Diagnosis of herpes is easily made based on the visual appearance of the lesions, and the best approach is to see a doctor at the first sign of a blister.
If there is concern that the rash may not be herpes, a swab of blister fluid may be collected for viral culture or polymerase chain reaction test. This is most useful in the first 48 hours before the blister has crusted over. If lesions resolve, then cultures are of no help, because there’s nothing left to culture. Culture results take a minimum of 3-5 days.
PCR testing detects herpes DNA, but it is not as readily available as culture and is a very expensive test to do for simple cold sores.
Blood tests for herpes antibodies are not usually needed, since finding antibodies to herpes just means that the body has been exposed to this virus at some point in the past. It does not determine if the current lesion is due to herpes. They can be done, though, if the diagnosis is unclear or there is a specific reason to know for certain.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Know If You Have Mouth Herpes
How Do Cold Sores Spread
The virus is spread from person to person by kissing, by close contact with herpes lesions, or from saliva even when sores are not present. Infected saliva is a common means of virus transmission.
The contagious period is highest when people have active blisters or moist sores. Once the blisters have dried and crusted over , the risk of contagion is significantly lessened.
HSV can also be spread through personal items that are contaminated with the virus, such as lipstick, utensils, and razors. Despite popular myth, catching herpes from surfaces, towels, or washcloths is very rare, since the virus does not usually survive long on dry surfaces.
Simple Treatments For The Relief Of Discomfort
- Wear loose underclothes, preferably cotton , to help minimise discomfort and allow healing.
- Use plain water or saline solution with cotton wool to clean and soothe the area. To make a saline solution, use 1 teaspoon of salt in 600ml of water or a handful of salt in a shallow bath.
- Don’t use scented soaps, bubble bath, etc in the area, as these may irritate it.
- Using a hairdryer on its lowest setting to dry the area may be more comfortable than using a towel.
- Pain relief medication such as paracetamol and ibuprofen may ease the pain. Check with your pharmacist or other health professional whether taking these is suitable for you.
- Ice wrapped in a face cloth or flannel and placed over the sores for 510 minutes may be soothing. Don’t apply ice directly to the sores as this can cause ice burn.
- If you find peeing painful, try applying Vaseline® to the area or sitting in a warm bath before urinating or using a pump bottle full of water and spraying water on yourself while peeing.
- You can also try applying a pain relief cream such as lignocaine cream to the painful area. This is applied 5 minutes before peeing and should be used for a maximum of 12 days.
- Drink plenty of fluids as this dilutes your pee and may help reduce stinging.
Recommended Reading: How Long Does Herpes First Outbreak Last
Herpes Symptoms And Signs
In order to diagnose herpes, a health care provider can swab an area of visibly active herpes infection or, if symptoms arent active, a blood test can be given that measures the number of herpes antibodies present in the body. The antibodies dont indicate herpes itself, but rather show the immune systems response to the presence of the virus in the body. Its important to note that sometimes a swab can give false negative results since herpes lesions need to be large enough to yield enough detectable virus and if the outbreak is already healing it also may not be detected in a swab.
The most common herpes symptoms include:
- Developing either a single cold sore or cluster of multiple cold sores that form on the lips, inside the mouth, or on the genitals, buttocks and upper thighs.
- Sores can sometimes be severe, painful and rupture and cause fluid to be secreted out.
- Some herpes canker sores develop a thin, white coating and burn when touched while they healing.
- Around herpes cold sores, its common to feel pain, tenderness and other symptoms of a rash, such as redness or signs of swelling.
- Some people are able to tell before an outbreak if one is going to occur because they feel tingling, itchy sensations near the affected area.
- Some people develop other symptoms during herpes outbreaks that are similar to those caused by a cold or the flu. This may include fatigue, irritability, aches or a slight fever.
When To Get Tested
Consult a doctor about any of the following symptoms:
- tingling or itching around the genitals
- pain when peeing
- unusual vaginal discharge
The World Health Organization describes the risk of the herpes virus passing to a newborn during childbirth. Although this is rare, people who are pregnant and have herpes should let their doctors know.
Using a condom or another barrier method of protection during sex reduces the risk of the virus transmitting. It is also a good idea to avoid sharing sex toys with someone who has herpes.
Several online companies offer STI testing kits, including:
- EverlyWell: This company sells tests for chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, and HIV.
- LetsGetChecked: This company sells tests for several common STIs, and it provides prescriptions at no extra cost if a test result is positive.
- PriortitySTD: This company returns results within 3 days.
Anyone with a positive test result should contact a healthcare professional.
Recommended Reading: At Home Test For Herpes
Preventing The Spread Of Herpes
Even when you do not have sores, you can pass the virus to someone during sexual or other close contact. To protect others:
- Let any sexual partner know that you have herpes before having sex. Allow them to decide what to do.
- Use latex or polyurethane condoms, and avoid sex during symptomatic outbreaks.
- Do not kiss or have oral sex when you have a sore on the lips or inside the mouth.
- Do not share your towels, toothbrush, or lipstick. Make sure dishes and utensils you use are washed well with detergent before others use them.
- Wash your hands well with soap and water after touching a sore.
- Consider using daily antiviral medicine to limit viral shedding and reduce the risk of passing the virus to your partner.
- You may also want to consider getting your partner tested even if they have never had an outbreak. If you both have the herpes virus, there is no risk for transmission.
What If I Am Pregnant
It is important to tell your obstetrician that you or a partner have had genital herpes, so that they can monitor you for symptoms and manage your pregnancy safely. There is a risk you can pass the virus on to your baby if you have a vaginal delivery during a first attack of genital herpes. If this happens you may be recommended to have a caesarean delivery.
You May Like: Can I Get Rid Of Herpes Forever
What Are Canker Sores
Canker sores, or aphthous ulcers, are ulcerations that occur inside the mouth along the mucosa. They are found on the inner cheeks and lower lip as well as on the tongue, palate, and the gums. Canker sores are round and very painful. They are gray in color with a distinct edge. They are not contagious and are caused by stress or trauma to the area. They are not related to herpes, although they be may confused with oral ulcers caused by herpes.
How Do I Know If I Have Herpes
If a person has an active herpes outbreak with visible sores, a physician or specialist such as a dermatologist can make a diagnosis based on a physical examination. If the physical symptoms alone are not enough, a doctor may take a swab of the sore and send it to a lab for analysis.
If a person does not have physical sores but is concerned, blood tests are available.
People can also take at-home herpes tests, though they should seek a consultation with a doctor to confirm a diagnosis and seek treatment.
Don’t Miss: Is Hiv And Herpes Test The Same
How Does Genital Herpes Spread
Herpes can be spread when an infected person has lesions blisters and open sores on their body or when you do not have any symptoms. Taking antiviral medicine can help you reduce the risk of spreading genital herpes to your sexual partners. You can also:
- Inform your sexual partner that you have genital herpes.
- Use a condom every time you have sex.
- Refrain from having sex when you have symptoms.
- Abstain from performing oral sex if you have blisters or open sores around your mouth.
Home Remedies For Removing Scars
Follow different remedies for getting those scars removed for good:
- Aloe Vera: get an Aloe Vera plant and remove the dark green skin off of it and below the skin, there will be an almost transparent green gel. Apply it on scars. Aloe Vera is recommended by many skin specialists. Do this every day and keep applying it until the scar is gone.
- Vitamin E: get vitamin E capsules from any pharmacy and cut open it and squeeze the oil on the skin. Use 2 capsules one in the morning and once at night. Keeping doing this till the scar has gone.
- Honey: before you go to bed, apply honey on the scar and cover it with a bandage. Leave it all night just as it is and wash it in the morning. You have to keep doing that till the scar gives up.
- Coconut oil: heat the oil just a little bit and apply on the scar and leave it to absorb. Do this as much as you can all day and night.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: follow the procedure as it is written, add 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with distilled water, the water should be 2 tablespoons. Dip a ball of cotton in the solution.
Now dab that on the scar and leave it be. Repeat this in your free time and keep doing this till the scar fades away.
- Lavender and Olive Oil: only do these steps, add three drops of lavender essential oil with three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Apply on the scar and let it absorb it in the skin.
Or if you want to go outside, rinse it with warm water. Repeat this until the scar goes away forever.
Read Also: Is It Safe To Date Someone With Herpes