Features To Consider When Buying Cat Eye Drops
One product that cat owners should have on hand is a bottle or two of eye drops for their cats, especially if their furry friends frequently experience allergies or conditions that directly affect their eyes.
Cats that wander in and out of the house may occasionally get some irritants like dirt and dust in their eyes. Hence, even perfectly healthy cats would greatly benefit if their fur parents have readily available eye drops at home.
Since this type of medication often addresses symptoms and is not directly used for a full treatment of any ailment, they are safe to use daily. When buying, find a medication with these features to ensure that you get the best product for your furry friends:
Safe Ingredients. Examine the ingredients list and make sure that the eye drops youre getting are entirely safe to use even without a prescription from a veterinarian. One example of a safe ingredient is hypochlorous acid, a safe antimicrobial agent. Bear in mind that the use of incorrect medication may result in further irritation which we do not want to happen. If you find products that contain alcohol or bleaching agent, its best to avoid them.
Application.Find a product that is easy to apply. Some drops may come with droppers, which make it a lot easier for cat owners to administer the application of eye drops on their fur babies.
What Types Of Herpes Are There
There are two types of herpes: herpes simplex virus type 1 and herpes simplex virus type 2. Both can cause genital herpes. The virus is passed from person to person by physical contact. Usually, people get infected with genital herpes by having sex . Even if someone has no symptoms, they can still pass on the virus. This is known as asymptomatic shedding. Often people carry the virus for a while, before their first outbreak is triggered. After the first outbreak, the virus retreats into your system and stays dormant, until something triggers a recurrent outbreak.
Overdose: What Happens If I Take Too Much Valtrex
If you take too much Valtrex, it can lead to acute kidney damage. This is a medical emergency that can cause toxicity in your body and the inability to make urine.
Hemodialysis is a procedure that helps your body eliminate toxins and balance fluidthis may be necessary until your kidney function is restored.
You May Like: How Long Does Second Herpes Outbreak Last
What If I Am Pregnant
It is important to tell your obstetrician that you or a partner have had genital herpes, so that they can monitor you for symptoms and manage your pregnancy safely. There is a risk you can pass the virus on to your baby if you have a vaginal delivery during a first attack of genital herpes. If this happens you may be recommended to have a caesarean delivery.
Also Check: Will You Know If You Have Herpes
How Herpes Outbreaks Occur
Once it enters a human cell, the HSV virus penetrates the cell’s nucleus and begins the process of replication. Even though cells may be infected, you probably will not experience any symptoms at this stage.
During the initial infection, the virus is transported through nerve cells to nerve-branching points, known as ganglia. There, the virus will stay in an inactive, dormant state, neither replicating nor presenting any signs that it’s even there.
On occasion, the dormant virus may suddenly reactivate, starting the replication process anew. When this happens, the virus will travel back through the nerve to the surface of the skin. With this, many of the infected skin cells are killed, causing blisters to form. The eruption of these blisters creates the characteristic ulcers that are recognized as cold sores or genital herpes.
Don’t Miss: Alternative Treatment For Genital Herpes
How Effective Are Medications For Herpes
Prescription antiviral medications have proven effectiveness in managing HSV symptoms.
A 2017 study comparing the antiviral medications acyclovir, famciclovir, penciclovir and valacyclovir to treat herpes simplex labialis found all antiviral medications were effective to shorten healing time for lesions and reducing pain. The comparison study found valacyclovir had the fastest healing time and pain reduction.
Is It A Cold Sore
Cold sores are a symptom of herpes, a viral illness.
The herpes virus can lie dormant for long periods. When it is active, it can cause cold sores in response to certain triggers, such as stress or exposure to sunlight.
People may confuse cold sores with other lesions, such as canker sores. Canker sores are ulcers that form inside the mouth and may look like white circles with reddish halos. Cold sores are fluid-filled blisters that usually appear on the lips or around the mouth. They go through these stages:
Cold sores can resemble other skin lesions, so it is a good idea to get a diagnosis from a doctor, nurse, or pharmacist before considering a treatment.
the symptoms and slightly speed up healing.
Effective cold sore creams may include:
A cold sore cream works best if a person applies it as soon as they notice any symptoms.
Recommended Reading: Herpes Medication To Prevent Outbreaks
Dosage: How Much Valtrex Should I Take
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor’s orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
- For oral dosage form :
- For treatment of chickenpox:
- Adults and children below 2 years of ageUse and dose must be determined by your doctor.
- Children 2 to 18 years of ageDose is based on body weight and must be determined by your doctor. The usual dose is 20 milligrams per kilogram of body weight, taken three times a day for 5 days. However, the dose is usually not more than 1000 mg three times a day.
- For treatment of cold sores:
- Adults2000 milligrams every 12 hours for one day.
- Children 12 years of age and above2000 milligrams every 12 hours for one day.
- Children below 12 years of ageUse and dose must be determined by your doctor.
- For treatment of genital herpes, first outbreak:
- Adults1000 milligrams two times a day for ten days.
- ChildrenUse and dose must be determined by your doctor.
Is There A Cure To Genital Herpes
Unlike bacterial infections that can be quickly cured with antibiotics, a virus such as HSV-2 causing genital herpes has no immediate cure. But that doesnt mean a painful genital herpes outbreak is out of your control!
These genital herpes natural treatments make it possible to reduce inflammation, irritation, and other common symptoms. When you take the following steps to minimize the effects of genital herpes, you can escape the worst effects of an outbreak and get back to living your life.
You May Like: Dr Seni Cure For Herpes
How To Cope With Side Effects
What to do about:
- headaches make sure you rest and drink plenty of fluids. Do not drink too much alcohol. Paracetamol is safe to take with aciclovir if you need a painkiller. Speak to your doctor if this does not help or your headaches are severe.
- feeling dizzy if aciclovir makes you feel dizzy, stop what youre doing and sit or lie down until you feel better. Do not drive, ride a bike, or use tools or machinery if you feel dizzy.
- feeling or being sick stick to simple meals and do not eat rich or spicy food. It might help to take your medicine after you have eaten. If youre being sick, try small, frequent sips of water to avoid dehydration. Signs of dehydration include peeing less than usual or having dark, strong-smelling pee.
- diarrhoea drink lots of fluids, such as water or squash, to avoid dehydration. Signs of dehydration include peeing less than usual or having dark, strong-smelling pee. Do not take any other medicines to treat diarrhoea without speaking to a pharmacist or doctor.
- skin being sensitive to sunlight stay out of bright sun and use a high factor sun cream even on cloudy days. Do not use a sun lamp or sun beds.
- burning or stinging feeling after applying the cream this usually goes away after a short time. Ask a pharmacist or your doctor for advice if it continues to be a problem.
- itchy, dry or flaking skintry using an unscented moisturiser. Do not apply the moisturiser at the same time as your aciclovir cream.
Otc Herpes Treatment Today
Over the counter herpes treatment can be effectively used for controlling the Herpes virus, HSV-1 and HSV-2, which is highly contagious virus. The virus cannot be cured completely, but its symptoms can be managed to avoid suffering from them. There are many options to deal with the virus including medications and ointments.
It is well known that the Herpes Virus can be in two major states: active and inactive, or dormant. When flare-ups come in the virus active state, it is very important to keep a good hygiene. Avoid touching the sores, keep the area clean and dry. You can wash the area in lukewarm water and use cornstarch on it. There are other handy things that can be used to bring some relief: ice, wearing sun block and cotton loose clothing .
The most unpleasant thing with the herpes besides its bad look is pain and itching sensation. So the main treatment here is the one that simply brings the relief. OTC or over the counter medicines for herpes and cold sores are widely available. They are fall into three main groups: one group gives relief to pain and itch and is applied in the tingling stage of cold sores other two groups prevent or slow down the cold sore lesion from aggravating. The result may vary though, since everybody has the unique health conditions and different stage of the cold sore severity.
You May Like: How To Get Tested For Herpes For Free
Most Effective Home Remedies For Genital Herpes 100% Natural & Safe
Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease which is caused by a virus of the same name as herpes simplex . There are two types of HSV virus: HSV type 1 and HSV type 2. They cause genital herpes in different positions in your body. HSV type 1 mainly infects and causes the disease in the respiratory tract, gastrointestinal tract and mucosal skin, and the manifestation of the disease usually occurs in the mouth. The HSV type 2 virus primarily infects the body through sexual contact, which usually manifests itself in the lower genital organs. The virus is highly transmissible. However, there is also the case of HSV type 1 that causes genital herpes in genitalia and HSV type 2 that causes genital herpes in upper organs.
Genital herpes is a common disease so anyone can catch it but women are at the higher risk of catching this sexual disease than men. According to a research of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, for every six people between the ages of 14 and 49, there is one person with genital herpes. Due to the fear and embarrassment of catching genital herpes, many patients choose home remedies instead of going to hospitals or gynecology clinics. However, information as well as advice on home remedies are often not sufficiently synthesized, making it difficult for patients to find appropriate methods to get rid of the disease. Todays article will let you know 27 most effective home remedies for genital herpes that work 100% naturally & safely.
Complementary And Alternative Medicine
Some people use natural therapies to treat herpes, either on their own or to support standard medical care. The research supporting their use is generally weak, with little evidence that they can reduce either the severity or duration of an outbreak. Even so, many people swear by their effectiveness and consider them a vital part of managing herpes outbreaks.
Complementary and alternative therapies sometimes used to treat herpes include:
- Propolis: This is a sticky substance produced by bees that may help speed the healing of genital herpes. A 2017 study found that people who used propolis ointment experienced better healing by the 10th day of treatment compared to those who used a sham ointment.
- Algae extract: Lab studies suggest that algae extract can inhibit the growth of HSV-2 in test tubes. Whether it can do so in humans has yet to be proven.
- Acupuncture: A 2011 study concluded that acupuncture was mildly effective in reducing pain caused by the herpes zoster virus , the type of herpes virus that causes shingles. While this suggests that acupuncture may be useful in easing genital herpes pain, this has yet to be proven.
Don’t Miss: How To Keep Herpes From Coming Back
What Is The Outlook
The main concern with corneal infection is that it can cause scarring of the transparent front part of the eye . With scarring, the normally clear cornea can become like frosted glass. This may sometimes seriously affect vision.
- Epithelial keratitis tends to settle and go away within a few weeks. It has a good outlook and often causes little or no scarring.
- Stromal keratitis is more likely to result in corneal scarring and loss of vision.
- Recurring episodes of active infection can make any existing scarring worse.
- Prompt treatment with antiviral eye ointment or drops helps to minimise damage during each episode of active infection.
Overall, good vision remains in about 9 in 10 eyes affected by herpes simplex infection that is, vision good enough to drive. However, severe and recurrent herpes simplex eye infections may lead to serious scarring, impaired vision and even severe sight impairment in some cases. If severe sight impairment does develop, a corneal transplant may be the only option to restore vision.
Further reading and references
Herbs And Natural Remedies Useful For Genital Herpes
What is genital herpes?
Genital herpes is a viral infection caused by the herpes simplex virus. Herpes simplex virus type 1 is the leading cause of cold sores in the mouth and lips. It is transmitted through saliva, for example when kissing or sharing utensils and cutlery. HSV-1 can also cause genital herpes, although the main cause is HSV-2 .
Also Check: Does Abreva Help With Genital Herpes
What Are The Symptoms Of Herpes Simplex
Many people with the infection never experience any herpes symptoms. If you do notice symptoms, youll experience them differently depending on whether youre having your first herpes outbreak or a repeat outbreak. Recurring symptoms are usually milder than the first outbreak. Symptoms dont last as long with later outbreaks. Some people may only have one or two outbreaks during their lifetime. Others may have as many as four or five outbreaks a year.
People who do have herpes symptoms may experience:
- Cold sores around their lips, mouth or tongue. They may look crusty or like fluid-filled blisters.
- Tingling, itching or burning.
- Pain while urinating.
Are There Home Remedies For Herpes
You can also try the following home remedies to help you manage your symptoms during a herpes outbreak:
- Get over-the-counter painkillers to help ease the pain
- You can also get numbing ointments from your local pharmacy to help relieve itching and pain
- Try to keep the area clean, using plain or salt water to prevent blisters becoming infected
- Ice wrapped in a tea towel placed over the sores for 5-10 minutes may be soothing, but do not put ice directly on your skin because it can cause ice burn
- Avoid wearing tight clothing that may irritate blisters or sores
- Drink plenty of water to help dilute your urine and make it less painful when peeing. Applying Vaseline or petroleum jelly can also help ease the pain when urinating
- Avoid scented soaps and bubble baths which may cause irritation
- Avoid herbal remedies not approved by a medical professional because they may not have been proven to work, and may not be regulated, so they may not be safe to use
If youre having trouble with your symptoms, or getting outbreaks more than 6 times a year, we recommend thinking about medical treatment instead of just home remedies.
Don’t Miss: How To Detect Herpes Virus
Home Care Measures For Genital Herpes
First, simple self-care may be enough to relieve most discomfort caused by genital herpes. Taking an over-the-counter pain reliever, such as aspirin, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen, can help ease the pain of herpes symptoms. Doctors sometimes recommend soaking the affected area in warm water. But the area should be kept dry most of the time. If toweling off after bathing is uncomfortable, try using a hair dryer. Then put on cotton underwear. Cotton absorbs moisture better than synthetic fabric does.
Education Is An Integral Part Of Herpes Treatment
If you have genital herpes, its important for you to get educated about herpes and have the opportunity to ask questions in a supportive environment.
Becoming informed will help you learn to cope with the illness. It will also help you prevent sexual transmission of the illness, or transmission to an infant during a pregnancy.
Herpes has a tremendous psychosocial overlay. But knowledge about it and understanding about how well it can be managed can reduce that, says Handsfield.
Your doctor may be able to provide you with all the information you need, or you may choose to seek counseling from a mental health professional or at a clinic that specializes in sexual health, such as Planned Parenthood.
If you have a regular sexual partner, that person should also have the chance to learn about herpes and ask any questions they may have about it.
Also Check: What Can Look Like Herpes