How Do I Treat Genital Herpes
For most people antiviral medicine is not necessary either because their body prevents recurrent symptoms or because they find that adopting a healthier life style makes a difference. See What can I do to prevent frequent recurrences?For people who are unlucky and get frequent recurrences, there are two ways that antiviral tablets can be used.
Treatment For Genital Herpes
There are three antiviral medications that are FDA-approved for the treatment of genital herpes:
- Acyclovir: The oldest antiviral medication for herpes is acyclovir. It has been available since 1982 in a topical form and sold since 1985 in pill form. Acyclovir has been shown to be safe in persons who have used it continuously for as long as 10 years.
- Valacyclovir: A newer drug, valacyclovir, actually uses acyclovir as its active ingredient. This medication delivers acyclovir more efficiently so that the body absorbs much of the drug, which has the advantage of taking the medication fewer times during the day.
- Famciclovir: Famciclovir uses penciclovir as its active ingredient to stop HSV from replicating. Like valacyclovir, it is well absorbed, persists for a longer time in the body, and can be taken less frequently than acyclovir.
Antiviral medication is commonly prescribed for patients having a first episode of genital herpes, but they can be used for recurrent episodes as well. There are two kinds of treatment regimens: episodic therapy and suppressive therapy.
Before Using Topical Acyclovir
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to acyclovir, valacyclovir , any other medications, or any of the ingredients in acyclovir cream or ointment. Ask your pharmacist for a list of the ingredients.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what other prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take. Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had any condition that affects your immune system such as human immunodeficiency virus or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome .
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while using acyclovir, call your doctor.
Don’t Miss: Medicine For Herpes Over The Counter
How To Apply Aciclovir Cream
- Before you start the treatment, read the manufacturer’s printed information leaflet from inside the pack. It will give you more information about using aciclovir cream and will provide you with a full list of the side-effects which you could experience from using it.
- Apply the cream five times a day. The best way to do this is to use it every four hours during the day . Dab the cream on to the area rather than rubbing it in. This will minimise any damage to the blisters, which could cause pain and spread the virus around.
- Start using the cream at the first sign of infection and continue to use it for five days. This is often sufficient time for the sore to heal but you can continue to use the cream for a further five days if needed. Remember to wash and dry your hands before and after using aciclovir, to prevent spreading any infection.
- If you forget to use the cream, apply it as soon as you remember and then continue using it again at your usual times.
Eutectic Mixture Of Local Anesthetics Cream
EMLA cream is a prescription medication made up of a 1-to-1 ratio of 2.5 percent lidocaine and 2.5 percent prilocaine.
A 2018 case study of one person found that EMLA cream may make an effective alternative to lidocaine cream for treating PHN in people with special situations like kidney failure. However, theres not much available research about its effectiveness. Most existing research is from the 1980s and 90s.
A doctor can give you specific instructions on how to use EMLA cream.
Read Also: How To Treat Herpes Virus
Important Information About All Medicines
This preparation is for use on the skin only. If you suspect that someone has swallowed some of it by accident, contact the accident and emergency department of your local hospital for advice.
If you are having an operation or dental treatment, tell the person carrying out the treatment which medicines you are using.
This medicine is for you. Never give it to other people even if their condition appears to be the same as yours.
Do not keep out-of-date or unwanted medicines. Take them to your local pharmacy which will dispose of them for you.
If you have any questions about this medicine ask your pharmacist.
Further reading and references
Manufacturer’s PIL, Zovirax® Cream GlaxoSmithKline UK, The electronic Medicines Compendium. Dated November 2020.
Medicines Complete BNF, 83rd Edition British Medical Association and Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, London
- Next Review 08 November 2024
- Document ID 3252
Terrasil Shingles Treatment Cream
Terrasil shingles cream may provide relief from itchy and painful shingles rashes.
It contains all-natural ingredients that may appeal to people looking to avoid putting synthetic chemicals on their skin. In addition to cottonseed oil and beeswax, it contains activated minerals.
There are claims the minerals can help clear the skin, but there is no evidence of this. Of nearly 1,700 users on , the product earns a 4.3 out of 5 star rating, with many users indicating that the product works well for them.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Get Herpes 2
Can I Get A Genital Herpes Relief Cream For A Reasonable Price
Lifelong companionship is typical for genital herpes relief cream. When you fast open your lid, spending more money will reward you with increased speed, a better view, and better quality of the product. Again, the average price of a new genital herpes relief cream is between $$ and $$$. Okay, so some luxury options are not available.
Complementary And Alternative Medicine
Some people use natural therapies to treat herpes, either on their own or to support standard medical care. The research supporting their use is generally weak, with little evidence that they can reduce either the severity or duration of an outbreak. Even so, many people swear by their effectiveness and consider them a vital part of managing herpes outbreaks.
Complementary and alternative therapies sometimes used to treat herpes include:
- Propolis: This is a sticky substance produced by bees that may help speed the healing of genital herpes. A 2017 study found that people who used propolis ointment experienced better healing by the 10th day of treatment compared to those who used a sham ointment.
- Algae extract: Lab studies suggest that algae extract can inhibit the growth of HSV-2 in test tubes. Whether it can do so in humans has yet to be proven.
- Acupuncture: A 2011 study concluded that acupuncture was mildly effective in reducing pain caused by the herpes zoster virus , the type of herpes virus that causes shingles. While this suggests that acupuncture may be useful in easing genital herpes pain, this has yet to be proven.
Don’t Miss: Is There Over The Counter Medicine For Herpes
About Herpes Local Anaesthetic Gel
Using herpes local anaesthetic gel
Wash and dry the affected area. Apply the gel as needed to the affected area. Wash your hands afterwards.
Side effects of Instillagel
Some people might experience an allergic rash or local skin irritation when using the gel.
For full information on side effects and correct use, see the patient information leaflet. If any side effects concern you, contact us via your Patient Record.
Effectiveness of Instillagel
Works immediately to ease pain and irritation. Instillagel does not affect the duration or severity of an outbreak.
How Instillagel for herpes works
Instillagel, is a local anaesthetic gel. Its active ingredient is lidocaine hydrochloride 5%, which numbs the area it’s applied to.
Genital Herpes And Pregnancy
Women with herpes before pregnancy can usually expect to have a healthy baby and a vaginal delivery.
If you have genital herpes during pregnancy, there’s a risk your baby could develop a serious illness called neonatal herpes.
This can be fatal, but most babies recover with antiviral treatment.
The risk of your baby getting neonatal herpes is low if you have had genital herpes before.
It’s higher if you get genital herpes for the first time in pregnancy.
Recommended Reading: How Does Genital Herpes Spread
What Can I Do To Prevent Frequent Herpes Recurrences
There is no need to change your lifestyle or take steps to prevent recurrences until you know whether or not you are going to get any. You will see plenty of internet sites offering dubious treatments that are unnecessary and probably have no effect for treating herpes.
These suggestions to help control outbreaks come from people with genital herpes, based on their own experiences. The HVA cannot confirm that any of them will work for you, but we believe they are worth considering:
Should I Take Antiviral Pills For My Herpes
Reasons for choosing short course/episodic treatment:
Reasons for choosing suppression/prophylactic/long-term treatment:
See section above for the dosing.
Advertisement:There are now UK-based websites, such as MedExpress, which are authorised by the Care Quality Commission to sell aciclovir for treating genital herpes to diagnosed patients.
Beware: Many other websites advertise fake treatments or even cures. They may include testimonials and statements by people who claim to be doctors. They are scams. Do not be fooled.
Recommended Reading: What Do They Prescribe For Herpes
What Should I Watch For While Using This Medication
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse.
Do not get this medicine in your eyes. If you do, rinse out with plenty of cool tap water.
This medicine can make certain skin conditions worse. Only use it for conditions for which your doctor or health care professional has prescribed.
Be careful to avoid injury to the treated skin while the area is numb and you are not aware of pain.
Abreva Cold Sore Cream
Best cold sore cream
This antiviral cream has been approved for use by the Food and Drug Administration , and it contains 10% docosanol. This helps treat recurrent cold sores by stopping the herpes virus from entering surrounding cells. This helps protect the healthy area around the cold sore.
The manufacturer claims that if a person uses the cream at the first sign of a cold sore, the cream can heal the sore in as few as 2.5 days. However, the company acknowledges that the average time of healing for someone using their product is 4.1 days.
The company says that this white cream penetrates deep into the skin, is tasteless, and has no smell.
A person should not use the product if they are pregnant or breastfeeding unless their doctor says that it is safe.
Also Check: How Does Herpes Flare Up
Treating A First Outbreak Of Herpes
A first outbreak of genital herpes can cause a long illness with severe genital sores and can also affect the nervous system. Even if your first episode of herpes is mild, you may have severe or prolonged symptoms later. For this reason, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that everyone who has a first episode of genital herpes take antiviral drugs.
Almost everyone who has one episode of genital herpes caused by HSV-2 also has later breakouts of sores. Later episodes are less common if your case of genital herpes is due to an HSV-1 infection.
The frequency of genital herpes outbreaks slows down over time in many people.
How Should I Use Emla
Use Emla cream exactly as directed on the label, or as it has been prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not apply Emla cream in larger amounts than recommended.
You may need to apply Emla at home up to 4 hours before your surgery or procedure. You will be given instructions about how much medicine to use and how long to leave it on the skin. Follow these directions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Use the smallest amount of Emla cream needed to numb the skin. Your body may absorb too much of this medicine if you use too much, if you apply it over large skin areas, or if you apply heat, bandages, or plastic wrap to treated skin areas. Skin that is cut or irritated may also absorb more topical medication than healthy skin.
You may need to cover the skin to help keep the medicine in place. Do not cover treated skin unless your doctor has told you to.
Carefully follow dosing instructions when applying this medicine to a child. Emla doses are based on weight in children. Do not allow a child to use this medicine without adult supervision.
Store Emla cream at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Do not allow the cream to freeze.
Don’t Miss: What Does Herpes Look Like On The Face
Before Using Aciclovir Cream
To make sure that this is the right treatment for you, before you start using aciclovir cream it is important that your doctor or pharmacist knows:
- If you are pregnant. This is because, if you are expecting a baby, medicines should only be used on the advice of a doctor.
- If your immune system is not working as well as it should . This is because you may need additional antiviral treatment.
- If you are taking or using any other medicines. This includes any medicines you are taking which are available to buy without a prescription, as well as herbal and complementary medicines.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to a medicine or skin product.
Does Herpes Need To Be Treated
Treating herpes simplex symptoms may not be necessary. Herpes simplex infections clear up even if no treatment is given. But treating genital herpes can be helpful particularly if there are severe symptoms. Some people are affected more than others. See below for the rare occasions when it can be serious.
Also Check: How Long Does An Untreated Herpes Outbreak Last
Earth Mama Herbal Perineal Spray
Earth Mamas motto is to take care down there by providing new mamas with healthy, gentle products that alleviate the pain postpartum. The brands Herbal Perineal Spray is no exception, and is truly a birthing bag essential for new moms. The formula is an herbal blend of cooling cucumber, soothing organic witch hazel, peppermint and lavender, among others commonly used to treat postpartum ailments. The inverted sprayer makes it easy to spritz without having to bend or maneuver much, so you can spray as much as you need for instant relief.
Topicals Are Not A Substitute For Medical Treatment
Topical products can help you manage your symptoms. But they arent a substitute for proper medical treatment.
Its important to visit your doctor if youre dealing with shingles. Your doctor can prescribe antiviral drugs and other medications that can shorten the duration of your infection and help you avoid severe complications.
The following creams may be able to help you manage shingles symptoms.
You May Like: Can You Have Sex With Someone With Herpes
Here Are Some Tips For Choosing Genital Herpes Relief Cream
Are you stressed out by finding the perfect genital herpes relief cream? When considering the purchase of genital herpes relief cream in general, have you ever felt uncertain about what model to select?
Its sometimes enough to know that youre not alone. genital herpes relief cream is often difficult to find for many people. Our aim is to help you find it!
This page is obviously regarding Cheap genital herpes relief cream Reviews which is why youve come here. Youll find a lot of information available online, so research a few options before committing to anything.
Many sources can provide you with information about products- buying guides, reviews, word-of-mouth recommendations, online forums, independent product reviews found throughout the internet, and even YouTube channels. Only thorough research can help you find the right product.
Thats right? Arent doing that sometimes difficult? In order to prevent you from worrying, we have put together a list of the top genital herpes relief cream products on the market, for your benefit.
Who was involved in compiling this list? What motivated us to create this buying guide?
We first gathered product information from reliable sources using the algorithms we had created.
Both Artificial Intelligence and large amounts of data volumes were used to validate all collected information.
Based on these quality/price ratios, the artificial intelligence then selected the most excellent product on the market!
Lidocaine Cream And Patches
PHN is a complication of shingles characterized by long-term nerve pain after your rash disappears. The CDC says that about 10 to 18 percent of people experience PHN after shingles.
Lidocaine is often administered in patches. The study linked above notes that up to 3 patches can be applied in a 12-hour window.
Recommended Reading: How To Cure Herpes Simplex 2 Naturally