How Soon Can You Get Tested For Stds
If you have potentially been exposed to an STD, you may think that getting tested immediately is imperative. But in fact, getting tested too early may lead to inaccurate results. It takes time for your body to recognize and respond to the STD once you are exposed to it. If you get tested before your body has responded to the STD, it will be too early for the test to detect the STD in your system. How long does it take to get an STD? When should you get tested? Heres what you need to know:
Also Check: How Can I Cure Herpes Forever
Myth #: A Blood Test Is The Best Way To Know If You Have Herpes
Blood tests are not always accurate and testing for herpes can be tricky. It can take two weeks to six months after being exposed to herpes before it is detected in the blood. To make matters more complicated, if you are low risk for herpes and asymptomatic, it increases your risk of a false positive result. Because of this, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends against routine testing for herpes unless you or your partner have symptoms. The most accurate test is when you are able to take a swab sample from a new herpes lesion, but often times the diagnosis is made by a clinician based on your history and report of symptoms.
Because the blood test can be expensive and inaccurate, it is not typically included in a sexually transmitted disease evaluation unless you ask your provider for it specifically.
In short, if you dont have symptoms, you dont necessarily need a blood test. If you do experience an outbreak, a skin swab not a blood test is your best bet for confirmation.
Critical Appraisal Of The Literature
A literature search was performed using PubMed and the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, with the search terms, sexually transmitted disease, sexually transmitted infection, bacterial vaginosis, chlamydia, genital herpes, gonorrhea, human papillomavirus, syphilis, trichomoniasis, and expedited partner therapy. The search was focused on articles published in the English language that are relevant to the emergency clinician, those published after 1990, and on articles that discussed current STD first-line treatment, management, and diagnostic evaluation. Priority was given to clinical trials, evidence-based guidelines, and high-quality reviews, which resulted in the 107 references cited. The National Guideline Clearinghouse was also accessed and identified guidelines that provide recommendations general to all STDs, including the key resource published by the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention , Sexually Transmitted Diseases Treatment Guidelines 2015.3 When available, recommendations in this article are evidence-based however, most of the studies are retrospective, with the prospective studies focused primarily on treatment.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Treatment For Genital Herpes
How Does Genital Herpes Spread
The herpes virus that causes genital herpes spreads through saliva, semen and vaginal secretions. Its possible to get genital herpes from someone who doesnt have visible symptoms. You can have the infection, not know it and infect someone else.
Research has found it is possible for genital herpes to spread through:
- Oral sex with someone whos infected.
- Skin-to-skin contact without ejaculation.
- Touching open sores, including while breastfeeding.
- Childbirth by a mother who has an active infection.
You cant get genital herpes from objects like toilet seats. But you could pass genital herpes through shared sex toys.
You May Like: Why Does Herpes Cause Blisters
How Does Genital Herpes Affect Pregnancy
- If you get genital herpes during pregnancy, you can spread genital herpes to your baby during delivery.
- If you had genital herpes before pregnancy, your baby is still at risk of getting herpes, but the risk is lower.
Most women with genital herpes have healthy babies. But babies who get herpes from their mother have neonatal herpes. Neonatal herpes is a serious condition that can cause problems in a newborn baby such as brain damage, eye problems, or even death.
Read Also: Can The Emergency Room Test For Herpes
Read Also: Is Hiv And Herpes The Same
What Happens During An Hsv Test
HSV testing is usually done as a swab test, blood test, or lumbar puncture. The type of test you get will depend on your symptoms and health history.
- For a swab test, a health care provider will use a swab to collect fluid and cells from a herpes sore.
- For a blood test, a health care professional will take a blood sample from a vein in your arm, using a small needle. After the needle is inserted, a small amount of blood will be collected into a test tube or vial. You may feel a little sting when the needle goes in or out. This usually takes less than five minutes.
- A lumbar puncture, also called a spinal tap, is only done if your provider thinks you may have an infection of the brain or spinal cord. During a spinal tap:
- You will lie on your side or sit on an exam table.
- A health care provider will clean your back and inject an anesthetic into your skin, so you wont feel pain during the procedure. Your provider may put a numbing cream on your back before this injection.
- Once the area on your back is completely numb, your provider will insert a thin, hollow needle between two vertebrae in your lower spine. Vertebrae are the small backbones that make up your spine.
- Your provider will withdraw a small amount of cerebrospinal fluid for testing. This will take about five minutes.
- Your provider may ask you to lie on your back for an hour or two after the procedure. This may prevent you from getting a headache afterward.
How Do I Find A Good Std Test Kit
Its important to use a reputable STD test kit company. Here are some features to look for in a provider that can help you narrow down your options.
The most reputable companies will go through a certified laboratory. Make sure the companys lab meets the standards of the CLIA .
Healthcare professionals on staff:
A good STD test-kit company will have a medical support team on staff to answer questions and provide next steps. Qualifications and availability will differ from one company to the next: some have physicians on staff, others nurses or physicians aides. A good company will offer a professional staff with medical credentials.
Resources on web page:
An in-depth FAQ is one good sign of a legitimate company. Another good sign is supplementary resources. A company with a strong library of articles and links to sexual health resources on its site is likely to be more invested and reliable.
Though STD test kits are relatively simple to use, there are plenty of questions that can come up during the process, and a good company will be available to answer them directly. Check the customer service policy to see how and when youll be able to contact someone. Live chats and 24/7 services are the best signs that support will be available.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Cure For Herpes Virus
Also Check: How Effective Is Herpes Medicine
How Do I Talk To My Sex Partners
Telling them about your condition can be hard. Take some time to learn what you can and understand your own feelings first. You may be more at ease to talk openly.
Some people you tell might not think its such a big deal. Others will have strong feelings about it.
You cant control how anyone else reacts. All you can do is share what you know, answer questions, and give them time to think about it.
Is Alzheimers Disease Related To Hsv
Alzheimers disease is a progressive brain disease that develops as a result of a complex series of events occurring in the brain over a long period of time. The causes of Alzheimers disease may include genetic, environmental, and other factors. Several different factors have been statistically linked to Alzheimers disease, including HSV-1 infection. However, some investigations suggest that viruses other than HSV-1 may influence Alzheimers disease. More research is needed to determine whether or not there is a causal link between HSV-1 infection and Alzheimers disease.
Read Also: How To Treat Herpes Without Medication
Don’t Miss: How To Deal With Having Genital Herpes
Confidential Treatment For Stds
Herpes is a very common condition that affects an estimated one in five people in the United States. However, it is believed that up to 90 percent of people do not realize they have genital herpes. You may wonder how you can have herpes without knowing it, but this is very common. In many cases, people have very mild symptoms that are often mistaken for another condition or missed altogether.
One of the most frustrating aspects of herpes is that the symptoms can vary so widely from person to person. This is why we recommend you come into Urgentology Care forsexually transmitted disease testing. If you notice any lesions or other marks that you have not seen before, we encourage you to come into our urgent care clinic to be tested for herpes.
Schedule a same-day appointmentat Urgentology Care for herpes diagnosis and treatment in Arlington.
Is There A Cure Or Treatment For Herpes
There is no cure for herpes. Antiviral medications can, however, prevent or shorten outbreaks during the period of time the person takes the medication. In addition, daily suppressive therapy for herpes can reduce the likelihood of transmission to partners.
Several clinical trials have tested vaccines against genital herpes infection, but there is currently no commercially available vaccine that is protective against genital herpes infection. One vaccine trial showed efficacy among women whose partners were HSV-2 infected, but only among women who were not infected with HSV-1. No efficacy was observed among men whose partners were HSV-2 infected. A subsequent trial testing the same vaccine showed some protection from genital HSV-1 infection, but no protection from HSV-2 infection.
Don’t Miss: How To Keep Genital Herpes Dormant
Can Symptoms Be Treated
There is no cure for genital herpes. But the symptoms can be lessened and prevented with treatment. Treatment can also reduce the risk of infecting others.
Your health care provider may prescribe antiviral medications to help prevent or reduce the pain and discomfort from an outbreak of symptoms. Medication taken on a daily basis to suppress the virus can reduce the number of outbreaks and reduce the risk of infecting others.
To Be Eligible To Donate Blood You Must
- be in good health and feel good
- be aged between 18 and 70. You can donate for the first time until the age of 59 and, after you have turned 66, you can continue if you have donated less than two years ago. If youre over 60 years of age and theres been a long break since your previous blood donation, or if youve previously donated blood outside Finland, bring with you a document showing your previous donations.
- weigh at least 50 kg and no more than 200 kg. The minimum weigh is due to the amount of blood collected and the maximum due to the carrying capacity of our donation beds.
- have a Finnish personal identity code
- have an official photo ID with you or a driving licence . If you dont have a Finnish personal identity code on your ID you also have to bring an official document to verify it . Together they are a valid ID.
- your blood haemoglobin concentration must be good . Your heamoglobin concentration will be measured by us, so you don´t have to know your value in advance.
- have lived at least for the last three months in Finland or some other EU or EFTA state or in the UK
- be capable of filling in the donors health questionnaire in Finnish, Swedish or English, and have a short discussion with the nurse on your state of health
Fill in the electronic health questionnaire on the day of the blood donation or the day before.
You can check your minimum interval date with the donation date calculator.
Read more about possible blood donation restrictions below:
You May Like: Has Anyone Been Cured Of Herpes
What Is Hiv Is Hiv The Same As Aids
Human Immunodeficiency Virus or HIV damages your immune system so that it can be very difficult for your body to fight off diseases and bad bacteria. HIV can lead to a more dangerous STD known as AIDS. While there is no cure for HIV, there are ways to manage it so that it does not get to this point.
Many people do not experience symptoms for the majority of the time they have HIV. In the early stages, you may experience flu-like symptoms such as:
- Swollen Lymph Nodes
HIV affects roughly 38,000 people every year. Because this virus can lead to serious health problems down the road, its important to get tested at some point for HIV so that you can manage it well. There are ways to manage it to significantly reduce the risk of passing it on to sexual partners or a baby during pregnancy. With the proper treatment, its very possible to have HIV and still live a long and healthy life.
Is There Any Resistance To Genital Herpes Medication
Resistance to drugs that treat genital herpes even after 20 years of use is very rare. Herpes medications may not work as well in patients who are very immunosuppressed and have been treated with these drugs for a long time. Each individuals response to treatment may vary. In some cases, patients may need more drugs to suppress their viral outbreaks than others.
Recommended Reading: Can Herpes Type 2 Be Cured
Should You Be Tested For The Herpes Virus
The CDC does not recommend herpes testing for people who have no symptoms. They point out that diagnosing genital herpes in someone lacking any symptoms does not lead to them making changes in their sexual choices. They are no more likely to use condoms or to refrain from having sex than if they hadnt been tested.
Also, false-positive test results can happen. A false positive is a test result saying you have herpes when actually you do not.
Even if you have no symptoms of herpes or of any other sexually transmitted disease, though, you should talk frankly with your doctor or another healthcare provider about your sexual activities to see if you should be screened for STDs, including herpes.
There are some situations where herpes blood tests can be useful, says the CDC:
- If you have genital symptoms that could be related to herpes
- If you now have, or have had, a sex partner with genital herpes
- If you want a complete STD exam, especially if you have multiple sex partners
Polymerase Chain Reaction Test
As with the viral culture, your doctor swabs or scrapes a sample from one of your sores. A lab gets the sample and looks for genes from the herpes virus. PCR test results usually come back to you within 24 hours.
Youre more likely to get this test if you have symptoms but its been longer than 48 hours since they showed up. In this case, you can rely on the results from this test more than the viral culture.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Herpes Discharge
What Should I Do If I Think I Have An Std
Your doctor will provide medication and therapy if your test tests positive. It is essential to know that it is not possible to cure all STDs. The antibiotic will generally clear the infection if the STD is bacterial or parasite and avoid complications. Many STDs can be successfully treated when detected early.
Consult one of our doctors in person or video chat with a Brooklyn area doctor for advice on the treatment of your STD.
Start care immediately, take the full course of medicine, and follow the advice of your doctor.
- Do not breastfeed an infant or use breast milk to feed a child.
- Any sexual activity should be with a single uninfected partner. And find out if they have any other partners.
- Delay having sex for as long as you can. The younger you are, the more likely you are to get an STD when you start having sex.
- Use a condom any time you have sex. They cant fully prevent an STD, but they decrease the chances.
- Notify and allow all prospective sexual partners to undergo medical assessments.
- Stop sexual intercourse while on STD treatment.
Symptoms Of Genital Chlamydia
Some of the common symptoms of genital chlamydia include:
- A burning sensation during urination
- Pain or swelling in the testicles
- Pain during sex
Often people who have chlamydia in the mouth will not be aware of their condition due to the fact that they are not experiencing significant symptoms.
This is why it is so important to get tested as soon as you think you may have been exposed to the chlamydia. You could have no symptoms but continue to spread chlamydia onto other people.
In this case it is always better to be safe than sorry.
Dont Miss: Azithromycin 500mg Tablets For Chlamydia
Recommended Reading: How To Make Herpes Go Dormant
Can Genital Herpes Come Back
Yes. Genital herpes symptoms can come and go, but the virus stays inside your body even after all signs of the infection have gone away. The virus becomes âactiveâ from time to time, leading to an outbreak. Some people have outbreaks only once or twice. Other people may have four or five outbreaks within a year. Over time, the outbreaks usually happen less often and are less severe.
Experts do not know what causes the virus to become active. Some women say the virus comes back when they are sick, under stress, out in the sun, or during their period.
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Stds
Many STDs dont have symptoms. Its possible to have a sexually transmitted disease without showing signs. If youve had sexual contact with another person, you are at risk of developing an STD.
Some STDs do have symptoms, which vary depending on the type of STD. Some symptoms include:
- Sores or bumps on genitals
- Abnormal discharge
- A burning sensation when urinating
- Itching, irritation or pain around the genitals
Because other conditions can cause similar symptoms, getting screened for STDs is the only way to know for sure if you have one. Studio City Urgent Care and Medical Center, Inc offers confidential and compassionate STD screening and treatment.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Oral Herpes Outbreak Fast