What Causes Cold Sores
The Herpes simplex virus-1 causes cold sores. In a similar manner to the chickenpox virus, HSV lives in a nerve with branches to the skin. Small amounts of it are constantly in the skin, even if there is not a visible lesion, says Tsippora Shainhouse, MD, FAAD, a dermatologist at SkinSafe Dermatology and Skin Care.
There are two versions of HSV:
- HSV-1 usually refers to cold sores of the mouth, though it can be transmitted to the genitals via oral sex. HSV-1, or oral herpes, is incredibly common, with an estimated 50% to 80% of adults carrying the virus in the US.
- HSV-2 is genital herpes. This is far less common, and about 17% of Americans aged 14 to 49 have HSV-2. Just because you have cold sores on your mouth, or HSV-1, does not mean you are more likely to get HSV-2.
Cold sores are tiny, recurring fluid-filled blisters. “Many people feel itching, burning or tingling around the lips for a day or so before a small, hard, painful spot appears and blisters erupt,” says Chun Tang, MRCGP/DFFP, a general practitioner at Pall Mall Medical in the UK. To resolve a cold sore as quickly as possible, you should begin treating it as soon as you feel tingling on or around your lips.
Most cold sores should not require visiting a doctor, as they will go away on their own within two to three weeks. However, if you regularly get cold sores, these six home remedies may speed up the healing process. It’s important to note that the effectiveness of home remedies will vary from person to person.
Soothe Your Warts With Some Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a pacifying herbal remedy to soothe your genital warts and provide some relief to the discomfort. Its anti-inflammatory properties can relieve itching.
Aloe vera has been known to stimulate the immune response against viral infections.
Also, drinking aloe vera juice daily can boost your immune system and ameliorate its ability to fight infections.
How To Treat Mild Genital Herpes With Baking Soda
Baking soda is remarkably effective for how to treat mild genital herpes and how to treat genital herpes rash and lesions.
How to use?
- Prepare a paste by mixing a teaspoon of baking soda with a tablespoon of water
- Apply the paste to the genital herpes sores and genital herpes lesions
- Rinse the paste off as soon as it dries up
- Do this on a daily basis for how to treat genital herpes
Benefits of using baking soda
Baking soda works as a wonderful exfoliator and sloughs off the dead skin cells and scabs after the genital herpes blisters rupture. It helps to cure the itchiness and inflammation of the skin as well.
Do not scrub your skin too hard with the paste otherwise, your skin might get bruised.
Don’t Miss: Can You Pass Herpes Through Saliva
Natural Remedies And Herbs For Herpes
While the herpes simplex viruses 1 and 2 have no known cure, there are genital herpes treatments available to manage the STD symptoms: 3
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is an acidic substance that can be used as a topical treatment to help heal herpes sores.
- Lysine – Lysine is a naturally occurring amino acid which can be taken as a supplement during a herpes outbreak.
- Peroxide – Peroxide has natural antibacterial and antiviral health benefits that can help heal genital herpes sores quickly.
- Prunella Vulgaris – Prunella vulgaris is an oral or topical treatment that can be taken during a herpes outbreak. Its antiviral health benefits can help to lessen the duration of an outbreak.
- Coconut Oil -Use coconut oil as a natural topical herpes treatment during outbreaks. Apply directly to genital herpes sores to help moisturize and heal the sores.
- Propolis – As a natural antioxidant, propolis is a resin made by bees that can be an effective herpes treatment. Take propolis supplements to help boost immune function and fight herpes infections.
Taking natural genital herpes treatments can help to prevent outbreaks as well as treat symptoms quickly when they do occur.
Which Doctor Treats A Cold On The Lips
Herpes on the lips belongs to the category of labile herpes, which passes without any special consequences. The main problem is a cosmetic defect and prolonged healing of wounds.
If the disease proceeds for a long time or new foci of inflammation occur, as well as in relapses, you need to consult a therapist. He will decide on treatment or refer to narrower specialists: immunologist, dermatologist, infectious disease specialist.
Against cold sores on the lips a lot of products of both natural and synthetic origin help to quickly cope with an ugly and painful defect. The main thing is to notice the first manifestations of the disease in time and keep the ointment in reserve in the medicine cabinet so that the virus does not catch by surprise.
In addition, with congenital herpes, multiple malformations, and the death of a newborn are possible, and long-existing genital herpes significantly increases the risk of developing cervical cancer in women and prostate cancer in men.
Read Also: Over The Counter Drugs For Herpes
Coconut Oil For Genital Herpes
Besides being great for cooking, coconut oil can provide some significant health benefits. In some cultures, the coconut tree is even referred to as the tree of life. Clinical studies on coconut oil and its components have even backed some of these benefits:
Not enough evidence exists yet on coconut oil for genital herpes to prove that it directly treats herpes lesions however, its many beneficial qualities may soothe irritated skin around outbreaks and moisturize dry herpes scabs.
Monolaurin, a coconut-oil-derived fatty acid, has also shown some promise as a natural treatment for genital herpes.
Baking Soda For Genital Herpes
During the blistering phase of your genital herpes outbreak, you may want to try using baking soda. In addition to keeping the area dry and making it less hospitable to bacteria, baking soda may help to gently speed up the drying of your herpes blisters.
To try this method, mix pure baking soda with a little water until it forms a thick paste. Apply the paste to your sores with a cotton swab or cotton ball, being careful to use a new swab each time so you don’t contaminate your baking soda mixture.
Also Check: How Doctors Test For Herpes
Home Made Remedies For Herpes
Herpes is a highly contagious infection. It is caused by a virus called simplexherpes virus or herpessimplex virus. There are basically two types of herpes- oral herpes which causes cold sores or fever blisters around the mouth. The other is known as genital herpes and it causes blisters or sores below the waist line. It is usually transmitted sexually. Let us now know in detail what actually causes herpes, its common symptoms and how to treat herpes with homemade ways.
Vi Take A Warm Bath With Epsom Salt:
Epsom salt is also used as an operative measure to treat the infection. You need to soak the infected area for about 15-20 minutes in half a bucket of warm water mixed with a handful of Epsom salt. Later, you could also soak yourself in a hot tub of bathing water mixed with Epsom salt for ½ an hour to relax the sore muscles and make your genital herpes recovery faster.
Recommended Reading: How To Prevent Lip Herpes Outbreaks
Contraindications Of Grapefruit Essential Oil
Like all essential oils, grapefruit is a highly concentrated substance that should not be used pure , but always diluted in a solvent or in a carrier oil. Avoid contact with eyes and mucous membranes. Do not exceed the recommended daily dose. Keep out of the reach of children under the age of 3. During treatment with this essence, avoid prolonged exposure to the sun, as it is photosensitizing. Contraindicated in pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Petroleum Jelly Soothes Irritation And Discomfort
If you have petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline, on hand, try dabbing a bit over your cold sore. This provides a soothing aspect, says Russell. For many people thats the major concern its just uncomfortable having a cold sore. Vaseline also provides a small amount of a barrier. Keeping some petroleum jelly over the cold sore will give you a little more relief.
Also Check: Can You Stop Herpes From Spreading
How To Relieve The Troubles Of Genital Herpes
In addition to the medications prescribed by the doctor, in the case of genital herpes , there are various remedies to calm the discomfort related to the symptoms: here are some that you can try if you are struggling with this infection.
- The first tip is to take care of intimate hygiene as much as possible, with delicate washes but above all being careful to always dry the area thoroughly to prevent secondary infections.
- In order not to worsen the local irritation, wear only cotton linen, preferably not too tight.
- When you have genital herpes, the useful remedies are also those that limit the spread of the infection, such as baths with slightly salted water for the intimate area.
- To get rid of the swelling and get relief from the itching caused by genital herpes, resting on the sores of the ice wrapped in a soft cloth can help. The application can also be repeated several times a day.
- To “dry” the lesions, natural substances such as corn starch or baking soda can be useful, which moreover reduce chafing and itching.
- To heal the sores, apply a few drops of tea trea oil directly on the area using a dropper.
- Genital herpes can also be treated with homeopathic remedies , to be chosen after consulting with your doctor.
- In the days when herpes occurs in the acute phase, it is better to avoid having sexual intercourse , not to infect the partner but also not to aggravate the current situation.
How To Treat Genital Herpes
There is no cure for genital herpes. It lays dormant in the body for long periods, then reappears as an outbreak of sores.
However, doctors can prescribe medications that reduce the likelihood of recurring outbreaks. These medicines may also lower the risk of transmitting the virus.
When a person has a genital herpes outbreak, they may be able to promote healing and lower the risk of transmitting the virus by:
- avoiding sexual contact with another person until the sores have healed
- keeping the sores clean and dry
- refraining from touching the sores whenever possible
- washing the hands immediately after touching the sores
- using barrier protection during sexual contact until told otherwise by a doctor
The first herpes outbreak is usually the worst subsequent outbreaks tend to become less bothersome.
Genital herpes does not typically cause serious health complications. However, it can make a person more vulnerable to contracting HIV.
If a person has genital herpes sores, viruses and bacteria, including HIV, have more opportunity to enter the body. Avoid scratching the sores, as this can lead to bacterial infection.
Also, having HIV can make genital herpes outbreaks more severe.
Read Also: Does Abreva Work On Genital Herpes
Treatment Of Herpes On The Lips With Folk Remedies: Top 10 Best
Along with well-known medications, alternative methods of treating herpes are no less successful, since they are tested not only by time, but also have practical effectiveness:
Rules for the use of folk recipes for the treatment of herpes on the lips at home:
What Is The Treatment Of Genital Herpes
To treat genital herpes your doctor may prescribe some anti-viral drugs. These drugs can reduce the duration and frequency of herpes outbreaks. They can also help reduce the risk of transmission of the virus to a susceptible partner. The treatment plan will depend on your general health condition. If other health complications such as, encephalitis or AIDS develop due to the genital herpes infection, the doctor will prepare a treatment plan for you accordingly.
It is necessary to describe your medical history and symptoms in detail to your doctor, so that he can perform the appropriate tests for the diagnosis.
You May Like: Herpes At Corner Of Mouth
Tea Tree Oil And Herpes
Tea tree is a very popular bush in China, India and Japan. The discovery of the drink that gets ready from its leaves is attributed to the emperor Shen Nung in China and to the monk Bodhidharma in India, founder of the Zen Buddhism. Tea tree contains mineral salts of sodium, potassium and nickel.
It also contains fluorine, tannins, caffeine, theophylline and theobromine. The essential oil extracted from leaves of tea tree has antibacterial, antiseptic and antiviral properties. It can be used to fight herpes, applying a fine layer on the skin twice a day.
The Antibiotic Plant That Grows Nearby
Did you know there is a sort of natural “doxycycline” to be found as close as your own backyard?
The plant is called Usnea, and itâs popularly known as Old Manâs Beard. This wild plant grows all over North-America and once you gather some, Iâll show you how to turn it into an antibiotic tincture to greatly increase its potency and shelf-life.
Don’t Miss: How Long Does Herpes Itching Last
Olive Oil And Beeswax Ointment
Both olive oil and beeswax are natural moisturizers which will soften and soothe your outbreak area. In addition, olive oil is a natural antioxidant that will help draw out toxins from the infected area. The best part of this remedy is that it is a blend of two substances that smell good together which is something of value for anything you have to put on or near your mouth!
How To Use Neem Oil
A powerful mixture against cold sores can be created: a spoonful of Neem oil in which to add 2 drops of Tea-tree essential oil . Mix with a simple cotton swab to be used to apply the oil on both lips, with the foresight to start first from the healthy mucosa and lastly leave the direct application on herpes . Repeat this several times a day.
When the virus reaches the lips and manifests itself, it has already affected the oral cavity. It is therefore appropriate to disinfect the part through gargling with a solution of 10 drops of Ribes Nigrum in mother tincture with 5 drops of Neem Oil and 5 drops of propolis tincture diluted in a Malva herbal tea .
Gargles are used to clean and disinfect, so it is best not to swallow the solution!
As a preventive measure, it is possible to enrich our cocoa butter stick with two drops of Neem oil, enhancing the simple gesture of hydrating the lips with an antiviral action that protects the mucous membranes of the lips from inflammatory and bacterial agents.
Read Also: Does Taking Medication For Herpes Prevent Spreading
Treating Herpes Naturally With Herpesyl
The increased use of natural products is a current trend in the treatment of herpes simplex.
Herpesyl is a blend of 26 natural ingredients for the treatment of herpes simplex in men and women.
This natural product is available in capsules. If you have a herpes outbreak and take these capsules, you will quickly notice its effects.
Also Herpesyl capsules are effective in preventing outbreaks they have no harmful side effects on your health and do not interfere with medications or food.
You would need several capsules of other products to get the ingredients provided by a single capsule of Herpesyl.
If you want to learn more about Herpessyl, visit the official website of the product by clicking on the image.
How Do You Stop A Herpes Outbreak In Tracks
- You may talk to your doctor over antiviral medication. the physician may also help you know common antiviral herbs for your herpes.
- Understand your triggers so that you can avoid some and combat other with antiviral medications.
- Recognize symptoms early and respond effectively.
- Use essential oils for lubrication during sexual intercourse.
- Talk to your healthcare practitioner before using any antiviral medications or remedies.
Recommended Reading: How Can You Get Herpes 2
How To Cope After Diagnosis
Many posters were occupied with the issue of passing on the infection. Yolandayw points out that you can minimise the risk of transmission by postponing sex until all the sores have healed. She also mentioned that condoms should be used. They won’t completely prevent transmission but they will help.
Ending on a positive note, many posters emphasised that there was light at the end of the tunnel. Learning of the diagnosis may feel stressful at first, but it’s a manageable condition and certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Lucy03934 has had genital herpes for 25 years. She’s been married for 18 years and has two sons – living proof that there is life after herpes.