Complications Of Cold Sores
Cold sores are usually mild, but may cause complications in rare cases. People with weak immune systems caused by illness or treatments such as chemotherapy are particularly at risk of complications.
Dehydration sometimes occurs if drinking fluids becomes painful. Young children are particularly at risk of becoming dehydrated.
The herpes simplex virus can also spread to other parts of your body. Examples of when this can occur include:
- skin infections these often occur if the virus comes into contact with broken skin, such as a cut or graze, or a skin condition such as eczema
- herpetic whitlow this causes painful sores and blisters to appear on and around your fingers
- herpetic keratoconjunctivitis this causes swelling and irritation of your eye area and sores to develop on your eyelids
Left untreated, herpetic keratoconjunctivitis can cause the cornea, the transparent layer at the front of your eye, to become infected, which can eventually lead to blindness.
It’s therefore important not to touch your eyes if you have an unhealed cold sore. If you must touch your eyes for example, to remove contact lenses wash your hands thoroughly first.
In very rare cases, encephalitis, a condition where the brain becomes inflamed and swollen, can be caused by the cold sore virus spreading to the brain. It can be treated with intravenous injections of antiviral medications, such as aciclovir.
How Is Genital Herpes Spread
If you do not have herpes, you can get infected if you come into contact with the herpes virus in:
- Saliva or genital secretions
- Skin in the oral area if your partner has an oral herpes infection, or skin in the genital area if your partner has a genital herpes infection.
You can get herpes from a sex partner who does not have a visible sore or who may not know he or she is infected. It is also possible to get genital herpes if you receive oral sex from a sex partner who has oral herpes.
You will not get herpes from toilet seats, bedding, or swimming pools, or from touching objects around you such as silverware, soap, or towels. If you have additional questions about how herpes is spread, consider discussing your concerns with a healthcare provider.
The Early Warning Signs Of Genital Herpes
Once you learn to identify the early warning signs of a genital herpes outbreak, you can take action to avoid the worst outbreak symptoms.
The most common sign of genital herpes is the development of blisters around the genital area. Herpes simplex blisters are often itchy and painful.
Other symptoms may accompany the blisters to indicate early warning signs of genital herpes:
- -Difficult or painful urination
- -Wash your hands immediately after any possible contact with sores to prevent the spread of infection
- -Take medication as directed by your healthcare professional
- -Use natural treatments known to reduce discomfort and accelerate healing
- -Use foods and supplements known to strengthen your immune system
- -Use the Luminance RED on current outbreaks and in-between
Also Check: How Does Dr Sebi Cure Herpes
How To Get Rid Of Genital Herpes Rash And Genital Herpes Lesions By Using Raw Milk
Milk is one of the best natural remedies for how to treat genital herpes sores, rashes, and lesions.
How to use?
- Fill a small cup with cold milk
- Add a few drops of rose water in the milk
- Dip a cotton swab in the cold milk and then dab the mild genital herpes sores and lesions with the soaked cotton swab
- Do this in every two hours to heal the genital herpes
Benefits of using milk
Make sure that the milk is fresh and comfortably cold before using it on the affected areas of the skin.
Also Check: Where To Get Checked For Herpes
How To Get Rid Of Herpes Overnight
Unfortunately, it is impossible to get rid of the symptoms of a herpes outbreak overnight. Whilst there are genital herpes treatments designed to reduce the duration and severity of recurrences, no products exist that can eliminate the outbreak entirely within one day .
Medical intervention â along with homeopathic remedies â can reduce the discomfort, pain and length of a flare-up.
You May Like: Can Campho Phenique Be Used For Genital Herpes
How To Get Rid Of Cold Sores In 24 Hours
Also known as fever blisters, cold sores are a common viral infection. They look like small blisters that are filled with fluid and on and around your lips. Many times, these blisters form in patches. Once they break, a crust develops over the sore. Fortunately, cold sores usually go away within two to four weeks and dont leave a scar. The most painful cold sores are the ones that show up on the cracks of the cheeks and where the teeth hit the inside of ones lips. They can sometimes be so painful that it brings tears to the eyes.
Many people have reached out to us asking the fastest ways to get rid of a cold sore or if there are any at home remedies that can fix the pain in 24 hours or less.
If two to four weeks seems like a long time or you have an upcoming important event and would like to get rid of your core sore as soon as possible, you may be able to. There are a number of natural home remedies that may get the job done. We recommend you try the following:
Tea Tree Oil
Dab a bit of tea tree oil on a cotton swab and apply it to the sore directly. Be sure to repeat this several times during the day and before you go to bed. Tea tree oil is a great option because it contains anti-viral properties that kill infection that spread bacteria and expedite the healing process.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Contact River Run Dental
How To Get Rid Of Cold Sores
- Medical Author: Mohamad El Mortada, MD
- Medical Author: MaryAnn Tran, MD
- Medical Author: Corrine Young, PharmD
Cold sores are small, painful, fluid-filled blisters or sores that appear on the lips, mouth, or nose that are caused by a virus. The sores can be painful and usually last a few days. Unlike most viral infections, the cold sore virus is not completely eliminated by the body defenses. For this reason, cold sores often recur.
Also Check: How To Heal Herpes Outbreak Naturally
How Hsv Is Transmitted
The herpes simplex virus spreads between people, usually through contact with saliva or direct contact with a blister. The most infectious time is in the first few days when the blister is forming. Sometimes, people can pass the virus to others when they have no symptoms. This is because the virus may be lying dormant in the skin cells of the lips.
Medical Testing For Herpes
Doctors will give you a full diagnosis based on a physical examination, but generally the characteristic sores leave little room for doubt. Unless you are showing no symptoms, further testing is not necessary.
However, if you do require a definite diagnosis for situations in which you believe it may affect your organs, the doctor may conduct laboratory tests. A biopsy procedure may be conducted, in which the doctors remove a sample of a sore to identify the virus.
A Tzanck Smear may also be done. This is used to determine whether skin lesions are cause by the herpes virus. A sore is scraped at in the procedure and they smear the contents onto a slide. The slide is then stained and viewed under a microscope.
Blood studies are also another way for doctors to determine herpes.
Read Also: What Does The Beginning Of Herpes Feel Like
How To Prevent The Spread Of Oral Herpes
A cold sore is highly contagious and can spread to other parts of the body or to other people. Herpes transmission can occur through direct contact, such as kissing, or indirect contact from shared items, such as infected drinking glasses, towels, or utensils.
The herpes simplex virus type 1the virus responsible for cold sorescan be spread to the genitals of both men and women through oral sex. If this happens, it becomes a case ofgenital herpes.
Although the virus can be transmitted from person to person at any time, the most acute infection period is when the sores are visible. Once the sores have crusted over, oral herpes is no longer contagious.
Follow these tips to keep the infection from spreading:
- Wash your hands immediately after touching the sores or before touching another person.
- Abstain from intimate contact until the sores have dried and scabs have formed.
- Do not share utensils, drinking glasses, napkins or other items that may have been in contact with a cold sore.
- Do not touch, rub or scratch sores.
- Do not touch your genitals or eyes after touching a cold sore the cornea is extremely sensitive to infection from the herpes virus.
- Stay away from people for whom a herpes outbreak could have serious consequences .
Facts And Statistics About Herpes
- According to the World Health Organization, an estimated two-thirds of the global population under 50 years old are infected with herpes simplex virus type 1 .
- Estimates for HSV-1 prevalence in the U.S. among people aged 049 years are 178 million women and 142 million men .
- In total, about 75 percent or more of the American adult population has the HSV-1 virus that usually causes oral herpes , and about 20 percent to 30 percent have HSV-2 that usually causes genital herpes.
- Men and women are affected by HSV-1 about equally. Roughly 6 million women in the U.S. become infected with HSV-1 each year, along with 5 million men.
- Slightly more women than men are affected by genital herpes, whether from HSV-1 or HSV-2. Middle-aged women are most likely to acquire genital herpes.
- Transmission of HSV most often occurs without symptoms, so its estimated that 85 percent of people with genital herpes dont know it. Many dont have any symptoms at all after the initial infection, and only about 15 percent ever receive a HSV-2 infection diagnosis in their lifetimes.
- Most primary oral/facial HSV infections are caused by HSV-1 however, facial infection by HSV-2 is increasingly becoming common.
- Less children are becoming infected with HSV-1 than in the past in high-income countries, mostly due to better hygiene and living conditions.
- After someone comes into contact with an active herpes outbreak on another person, the incubation period takes about one week.
Read Also: How To Cope With Having Herpes
Itchy Tongue During Pregnancy
Are you experiencing an itching on your tongue during your pregnancy? There are number of reasons one can have itchy tongue during pregnancy including oral thrush, allergies among others. However, during pregnancy hormonal fluctuation can be attributed to itching on the tongue and sometimes swollen lips. For instance having yeast infection or thrush during can severely cause a painful itching on tongue and mouth.
Thrush is more common in pregnant women although medics arent sure why. But changes in hormones and immune system are believed to be the cause. Similarly if you are diabetic, youre at greater risk of having oral thrush and other mouth problems.
Can Genital Herpes Be Cured With Drugs
The answer to this question is not affirmative because there are no medications to cure genital herpes.
There is an intermediate solution because with the available medicines the disease can be treated to shorten the duration of outbreaks and decrease the frequency of recurrences.
Treatment of genital herpes with drugs is based on the use of an antiviral agent that stops the reproduction of the virus, although it does not eliminate it definitively. The simultaneous use of several antiviral agents does not make the treatment more effective that is why only one is used.
Acyclovir is available in various forms: tablets, injections, capsules, suspensions for oral use, ointments and creams. Its topical presentations are the creams and ointments and the non-topical ones, the rest.
The use of creams on the genitals is contraindicated due to the high content of water in its chemical composition, which creates a suitable habitat for fungi that can damage them.
People who dont know that creams shouldnt be used on the genitals often ask for creams for genital herpes when they should be interested in ointments, which are compounds without water or with a lower water content than creams.
Non-topical presentations of acyclovir often have several harmful health side effects including hair loss, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach upset, and changes in vision.
Valacyclovir is available in tablet form and when metabolized by the body it becomes acyclovir. The same is true of famciclovir.
Don’t Miss: Can You Cure Herpes 1
What Causes Cold Sores
There are 2 types of herpes simplex virus. Cold sores are usually caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1 . Herpes simplex virus type 2 causes most cases of genital herpes. However, both viruses can cause either cold sores or genital herpes.
About 80 per cent of adults are infected with HSV-1. Most people are infected when they are young and the infection lasts for life. However, the virus can remain dormant in many people, meaning that cold sores may never appear.
Various factors can cause the virus to become active resulting in one or more cold sores. They can include:
- tiredness and fatigue
- colds, flu or fevers that make the body less able to fight off infection
What Are The Cures For Genital Herpes
Although conventional medicine does not provide a cure for genital herpes, the doctor can prescribe one of these three drugs to treat or prevent future episodes.- AciclovirFamciclovirValaciclovir
During one of the periods of herpes activity, whether it is the first or a recurrence, some simple instructions should be followed in order to speed up healing and avoid the spread of the infection in other areas of the body or the infection of other people .
Keep the area of infection clean and dry to avoid the development of other infections.- Try to avoid contact with sores.- Wash hands after contact with sores.- Avoid sexual contacts from the first appearance of any symptom to the complete recovery of wages, that is, the fall of the crust and the formation of new skin in the affected area.
Also Check: Are All Cold Sores Herpes
Itchy Tongue A Sign Of Oral Cancer
Is your itchy tongue an indication of oral cancer? Oral cancer is linked to heavy smoking of tobacco and drinking excessive alcohol. Similarly, if you have human papilloma virus that can be passed on by oral sex through kissing you may develop cancer of the oropharynx. This include at the back of your throat, mouth, tonsils and base of your tongue.
The use of marijuana is also linked to be the cause of oral cancer. If you started smoking recently you should quit the habit. Itching and bumps under the tongue are the symptoms of onset of oral cancer. Mouth or oral cancer start as white patch that can be visible on the cheek or gums or tongue sore that doesnt go away.
What Are Canker Sores
Canker sores, or aphthous ulcers, are ulcerations that occur inside the mouth along the mucosa. They are found on the inner cheeks and lower lip as well as on the tongue, palate, and the gums. Canker sores are round and very painful. They are gray in color with a distinct edge. They are not contagious and are caused by stress or trauma to the area. They are not related to herpes, although they be may confused with oral ulcers caused by herpes.
Read Also: Over Counter Medicine For Genital Herpes
Tips To Prevent Tongue Blisters
- Avoid consuming acidic vegetables and citrus fruits.
- Stay away from anything too spicy until the blisters go away.
- Do not chew gum.
- Do not scratch the blisters with your tongue.
- Avoid using toothpastes that contain sodium lauryl sulfate .
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water every day.
- Use OTC oral anti-analgesic medications under your doctors supervision.
These remedies and preventive tips may help you get rid of tongue blisters. But if your blisters are stubborn and do not go away in spite of using these remedies, there is a possibility that they are a result of some other underlying medical condition. In such situations, you must seek medical help immediately to identify the cause. However, if the blisters are just a result of a minor burn or bite, use these remedies for quick relief.
Home Remedies For Herpes Treatment
Herpes is an infection, caused by the herpes simplex virus. It is a very itchy and painful problem, generally seen in both men and women. It appears in the form of small red, swelled and liquid-filled blisters or sores near eyes, mouth, lips, and genitals. But can you treat herpes at home? Well, yes! Here are some easy and quick natural remedies for a herpes treatment. Take a look.
Recommended Reading: How Contagious Is Herpes 1
Don’t Miss: How To Prevent Genital Herpes Breakouts
How Long Can Herpes Last Without Medication
Herpes outbreaks usually last for about one to two weeks, though the first outbreak after infection may last longer. The symptoms typically go away on their own without treatment. However, there are at-home remedies and prescription treatments which may help to ease symptoms and shorten the length of outbreaks.
Cold Sores: Common And Contagious
Cold sores are common and mostly harmless. Theyre caused by the herpes simplex virus, which spreads easily from person to person.
In some lucky people, the virus might cause a cold sore onceor twice and never rear its head again. But for other people, they come backagain and again, sometimes several times a year. And that gets old real fast.
They tend to go away on their own in 10 to 14 days, says Dr.Beers. But that doesnt make them any less annoying.
Recommended Reading: Can You Get Herpes Medication Over The Counter
Also Check: How To Get Rid Of Herpes Inside Mouth