How Did I Get Herpes
In 90 percent of cases, genital herpes is the result of contracting HSV-2 through direct genital-to-genital contact 1. However, according to the Mayo Clinic, genital herpes can also be spread through oral sex 1. The HSV-1 virus that causes oral herpes can be passed to an uninfected sexual partner, especially when oral lesions are present 1. Genital outbreaks caused by HSV-1 are typically milder and shorter, and result in fewer subsequent outbreaks.
Speaking of HSV-1, hereâs where herpes gets complicated for both genders: the HSV-1 that causes fever blisters also causes the body to produce antibodies to fight off subsequent herpes infections 1. So when youâre exposed to HSV-2, symptoms are so mild as to almost go undetected.
- In 90 percent of cases, genital herpes is the result of contracting HSV-2 through direct genital-to-genital contact 1.
- So when youâre exposed to HSV-2, symptoms are so mild as to almost go undetected.
Recommended Reading: Is Genital Herpes An Autoimmune Disease
What Is Primary Oral Herpes
Primary oral herpes refers to the initial outbreak of symptoms after infection, often presenting with painful sores on the lips, gums, and mouth.
In some people, primary herpes is associated with:
- and sore throat.
These signs and symptoms may last several days. Difficulty in eating and drinking may lead to dehydration. The sores heal completely in 2-6 weeks, usually without scarring. Virus can be recovered from the saliva for days after the lesions heal. Primary herpes usually occurs during childhood.
Not everyone has a severe primary attack when they are first infected with herpes. In most people, the virus infects the body without causing any symptoms. The process generates an antibody response, causing the immune system to produce antibodies against the herpes virus. This antibody response helps reduce recurrences and keep them mild. Antibodies also make it harder for the virus to get a foothold somewhere else in the body. However, it is possible to transfer the herpes virus to other parts of the body .
There are two types of HSV, herpes simplex virus type 1 and type 2.
- In general, HSV-1, also known as herpes labialis or oral herpes, causes infections above the waist, most commonly as “cold sores.”
- HSV-2 infections occur mainly below the waist, leading to genital herpes.
Treatment Of Cold Sores
Currently, there are no cures or vaccines for cold sores caused by the herpes simplex virus . Frequent hand washing will help reduce the spread of the virus to other parts of the body or to other people. Also, applying cool, moist compresses to the lesion may decrease pain and keep the lesion from drying and cracking.
- Many people acquire the virus and have no symptoms or signs.
- For others, painful fluid-filled small blisters appear near the area where the virus entered the body.
- Typically, the blisters heal completely but may reappear at some point in the future.
- In between attacks, the virus resides deep in the roots of the nerves of the involved area.
- When herpes simplex flare-ups appear in their most common location, around the mouth, chin, and upper lip, people often refer to them as “cold sores” or “fever blisters.”
- Oral herpes may cause ulcers, fluid-filled blisters, or sores anywhere inside the mouth, including the gums and the tongue.
- It may also cause sores inside the nose and around the nostrils. Herpes may also affect the eye.
You May Like: What Is Herpes Simplex Virus 2
Cure : Essential Oils For Herpes
Consuming food or additional supplements can reduce the pain, and sore to some extent it is always advised to apply the oil directly over the affected areas to prevent the growth of virus to a larger extent. Direct contact of the vitamins and minerals over the infected area can increase the rate of healing.
Many oils can cause burning sensation hence it is advised to dilute the oil to prevent so. These oils can reduce the healing time, relieve itching. Some of the commonly used oils for herpes are
Is There Any Resistance To Genital Herpes Medication
Resistance to drugs that treat genital herpes even after 20 years of use is very rare. Herpes medications may not work as well in patients who are very immunosuppressed and have been treated with these drugs for a long time. Each individuals response to treatment may vary. In some cases, patients may need more drugs to suppress their viral outbreaks than others.
Also Check: What Do You Do For Herpes
Is One Type Of Herpes More Easily Spread Than Another
No, not really. Both HSV1 and HSV2 can be easily transmitted via skin-to-skin contact. HSV1 tends to prefer locations above the waist, such as the mouth, and HSV2 tends to prefer locations below the waist, such as the genitals, but both can also be easily spread to other parts of the body.
Both types are most contagious during active outbreaks when visual symptoms are present but they are also commonly spread when there are no recognizable symptoms through asymptomatic shedding.
How Can I Keep From Getting Cold Sores
HSV-1 isnt a big deal. But its a good idea to try to keep cold sores as far away as possible. If someone you know has a cold sore:
- Dont kiss him or her.
- Dont drink out of the same glass or use the same knife, fork, or spoon.
- Dont share towels, washcloths, or napkins.
If youve had cold sores before, it can be hard to tell what might make them come back. For some kids, too much stress, too much time in the sun, or getting sick can cause cold sores to reappear. Eating well, getting enough rest, and learning how to deal with stress are important things for any kid to do, especially a kid who is likely to get cold sores.
Putting on sunblock lip balm and sunscreen on the face before going out in the sun may help prevent cold sores from reappearing in kids who tend to get them.
Read Also: How To Get Someone Pregnant With Herpes
A Workhorse Of Gene Therapy
The researchers also refined their methods of transporting the molecular scissors to targeted nerve cells. From the beginning, Jerome and his team have relied on a harmless, hollowed-out virus that is drawn to the surface proteins of nerve cells. Called an adeno-associated virus vector, or AAV, it is the little workhorse of gene therapy. In this case, it is used to ferry to the infected nerve cells genetic instructions that cause them to make those meganucleases.
Ã¢We inject the AAV vector, and it finds its way,Ã¢ Aubert said.
Latent herpes viruses lurk in clusters of nerve cells called ganglia, and researchers have found that some ganglia are harder to reach than others. Over the years, they discovered that some AAV strains are better suited than others to find specific types of nerve clusters, and this has helped them fine-tune the selection of these delivery viruses to match infected cells in different places.
In their mouse experiments, the team continued to improve their results, nudging them up to a 95% reduction in herpesvirus infection in one prominent nerve cluster using a selection of two different meganucleases carried by three different flavors of AAVs. By selecting vectors that are primed for harder-to-reach nerve clusters, the group expects to continue improving their ability to eradicate the virus.
Stoddard is also tweaking the meganucleasesÃ¢ structures to make them a better fit against HSV-2.
Aubert said that comes naturally to her.
Is Oral Herpes Permanent
Yes. Once a person contracts the herpes virus, they will always have it.
However, this doesnt mean theyll have active recurrences throughout their lives. There are things you can do to reduce the risk of recurrence. For example:
- Mitigate fevers
- Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight
If unavoidable circumstances such as menstruation, surgery, or physical injuries trigger an outbreak, the treatments listed above can reduce your risk of an outbreak and/or lessen the severity of an outbreak.
Don’t Miss: How To Test For Herpes Simplex Virus
How Can I Reduce My Risk Of Herpes Simplex
You can reduce your risk of contracting HSV-1 by avoiding physical contact with someone who has a cold sore. People can still spread HSV-1 when cold sores arent present, but its less likely.
If someone has an active HSV-1 infection, avoid:
- Sharing utensils, cups, lip balms or other personal care products.
- Touching the skin near their mouth.
If youre sexually active, you can take these steps to protect yourself and others from the herpes virus and other STIs:
- Be monogamous with one sexual partner or limit your number of partners.
- Get tested for STIs and complete any prescribed treatment.
- Tell your sexual partners if you have genital herpes so they can get tested.
- Use condoms during intercourse and dental dams during oral sex.
Wash your hands often if you have an outbreak or are around someone with symptoms.
If your sexual partner has genital herpes, these actions can lower your risk of getting the virus:
- Dont have sex when your partner has active symptoms. Condoms may not cover all sores, so you may still get the virus.
- Make sure your partner takes antiviral medication as prescribed.
- Wait to have sex until scabs fall off active lesions.
What Can I Do To Help My Partner
For starters, you can understand that having genital herpes is common. More than 1 in 6 people ages 14-49 in the U.S. have it, according to the CDC.
If you or your partner is upset about having herpes, joining a support group might help. And if you think genital herpes is harming your relationship, you could try couples therapy.
Also Check: How To Heal Herpes Sores In Mouth
Recommended Reading: How Can You Get Herpes Without Being Sexually Active
Avoid Spreading The Virus
The following may reduce the risk of spreading the herpes simplex virus:
Oral herpes If you have sores on your face:
- Do not kiss anyone.
- Do not have oral sex.
- Do not share items such as silverware, cups, towels, and lip balms.
If you have tingling, burning, itching, or tenderness where you had a herpes sore, keep that area of your body away from others.
You can prevent spreading the sores to other parts of your body by:
- Washing your hands after touching a cold sore.
- Using a cotton-tip swab to apply herpes medicine to a cold sore also helps.
Genital herpes When you have sores or symptoms do not have sex with uninfected partners.
- If you do not have sores or symptoms, use a latex condom to lower the risk of spreading the virus. You should know that even with a condom, it is possible to spread the virus if it lies on nearby skin that the condom does not cover.
- If you are pregnant tell your doctor if you or your partner has genital herpes. You may need to take medicine at the end of your pregnancy to prevent passing the virus to your baby.
You Might Also Enjoyâ¦
Also Check: Why Is My Herpes Flaring Up
How Are Oral Herpes Simplex Virus Infections Treated
HSV infection sores normally heal on their own without scarring. You may need any of the following to help manage symptoms:
- Antiviral medicine: This decreases symptoms and shortens the amount of time blisters are present. You may also need to take it daily to prevent blisters. The medicine may be given as a liquid, , pill, or ointment. Use as directed.
- Numbing medicine: This decreases mouth pain. It is usually given as a mouth rinse. Use it before you eat or drink, or as directed.
Read Also: What Is Anti Herpes Medication
How Common Is Herpes Simplex Virus Of The Mouth
Oral herpes is very common.
According to the National Institutes of Health , about 90 percent of adults have been exposed to the virus by the time theyre 50.1 But this doesnt mean they have it.
Some people are exposed but never contract the virus, while others catch it immediately after exposure.
Statistics show that as of 2016, an estimated 3.7 billion people under the age of 50, or 67% of the global population, had an oral or genital HSV-1 infection.
The highest prevalence of the infection was in Africa and the lowest was in the Americas .2
I Gave Him Herpes Now What
This is one of the scariest things that cross our minds when were first diagnosed with herpes. A typical thought that goes through our minds is how awful our diagnosis was and how wed never want anyone to experience the physical pain of the outbreak. Sometimes we feel like the guilt of giving herpes to someone would be the worst thing too.
I get asked all the time in our Secret Society about how to deal with giving herpes to your partner. The truth is Ive never touched on this because Ive never passed herpes to my partners. Ive only wanted to talk about experiences that Ive personally had. But this is something that happens all the time so Its something Ive needed to talk about. I reached out to the Secret Society for thier stories so that as a community we could talk about this today.
Regardless of passing it or not we still have to have the conversation with our partner about having herpes. This is very hard to do but so worth it. If you wait until youve had sex or are in a relationship to tell them it will be harder and you face a couple of obstacles. Either the person wont trust you or you could unknowingly pass herpes to them. Now youre in a pickle. I talk about this in other episodes so youll have to check them out.
But back to giving him or her herpes.
Read Also: How Does Genital Herpes Heal
Herpes Symptoms And Signs
In order to diagnose herpes, a health care provider can swab an area of visibly active herpes infection or, if symptoms arent active, a blood test can be given that measures the number of herpes antibodies present in the body. The antibodies dont indicate herpes itself, but rather show the immune systems response to the presence of the virus in the body. Its important to note that sometimes a swab can give false negative results since herpes lesions need to be large enough to yield enough detectable virus and if the outbreak is already healing it also may not be detected in a swab.
The most common herpes symptoms include:
- Developing either a single cold sore or cluster of multiple cold sores that form on the lips, inside the mouth, or on the genitals, buttocks and upper thighs.
- Sores can sometimes be severe, painful and rupture and cause fluid to be secreted out.
- Some herpes canker sores develop a thin, white coating and burn when touched while they healing.
- Around herpes cold sores, its common to feel pain, tenderness and other symptoms of a rash, such as redness or signs of swelling.
- Some people are able to tell before an outbreak if one is going to occur because they feel tingling, itchy sensations near the affected area.
- Some people develop other symptoms during herpes outbreaks that are similar to those caused by a cold or the flu. This may include fatigue, irritability, aches or a slight fever.
What Treatments Are Available For Hsv Mouth Infection
Although there is no cure for an HSV infection, there are treatments that minimize the discomfort associated with a recurrence.
- Anesthetic creams like lidocaine and prilocaine
- Antiviral topical medicines like zinc oxide and glycerin
- Oral antiviral medications, including acyclovir, famciclovir, and valacyclovir
- Heat application sticks that warm the affected area to 122 degrees F within seconds, blocking the replication of the virus and the formation of a sore3
Doctors and general dentists recommend treatment options based on a patients:
- Tolerance for a specific therapy or medication
Read Also: Can Mouth Herpes Be Cured
Realistic And Unrealistic Expectations
People may just need a little time to assimilate the information. This is where having well-written information helps. Consider giving them reading the material or referring them to a Sexual Health Centre, the Herpes Helpline: 0508 11 12 13 or the herpes website www.herpes.org.nz, to verify the information youve given them.
Whatever the reaction, try to be flexible. Remember that it took you time to adjust as well.
Negative reactions are often no more than the result of misinformation. In some cases, they are brought on when a person fears that youre asking them to commit to a relationship, instead of just informing them of the situation. If your partner decides not to pursue a relationship with you simply because you have herpes, its better to find out now. It takes a lot more than the occasional aggravation of herpes to destroy a sound relationship.
Some people react negatively no matter what you say or how you say it. Others might focus more energy on herpes than on the relationship. These people are the exception, not the rule. This is not a reflection on you. You are not responsible for their reaction. If your partner is unable to accept the facts about herpes, encourage him or her to speak with a medical expert or counsellor.
All relationships face challenges, most far tougher than herpes. Good relationships stand and fall on far more important issues including communication, respect and trust.
What Types Of Doctors Treat Cold Sores
Most pediatricians and primary care providers are very familiar with cold sores and their treatment. Most cases do not need the services of a dermatologist . An infectious-disease specialist is often consulted in complicated cases, such as herpes encephalitis or herpes in a person with a weak immune system. The care of an ophthalmologist is important in managing ocular herpes, or herpes keratitis.
Also Check: Is Turmeric Good For Herpes