Who Should Not Take Valacyclovir Tablets
Do not take valacyclovir tablets if you are allergic to any of its ingredients or to acyclovir. The active ingredient is valacyclovir.Before taking valacyclovir tablets, tell your healthcare provider: About all your medical conditions, including:
Certain people should not take valacyclovir and others should use decreased doses of valacyclovir. Below are some important examples.
Sensitivity or Allergies: Patients with sensitivity or an allergy to any of the following medications should not use Valacyclovir: Acyclovir, Famciclovir, ganciclovir, penciclovir, valacyclovir, or valganciclovir.
Kidney Issues: Dose adjustments should be made for those with kidney impairment or issues. Decreased doses are needed as kidney impairment slows the clearing from the body of valacyclovir. The degree of impairment determines the decrease in the dosage. The PDR states, Acute renal failure and CNS toxicity have been reported in patients with underlying renal dysfunction who have received inappropriately high doses of valacyclovir for their level of renal function. Patients receiving potentially nephrotoxic drugs together with valacyclovir may have an increased risk of renal dysfunction .
Dehydration: When patients are dehydrated acyclovir can reform as a solid in the kidney leading to kidney damage. Patients should all remain well hydrated when taking valacyclovir.
See here for other special groups, warnings, and precautions
Treatment For Genital Herpes
There are three antiviral medications that are FDA-approved for the treatment of genital herpes:
- Acyclovir: The oldest antiviral medication for herpes is acyclovir. It has been available since 1982 in a topical form and sold since 1985 in pill form. Acyclovir has been shown to be safe in persons who have used it continuously for as long as 10 years.
- Valacyclovir: A newer drug, valacyclovir, actually uses acyclovir as its active ingredient. This medication delivers acyclovir more efficiently so that the body absorbs much of the drug, which has the advantage of taking the medication fewer times during the day.
- Famciclovir: Famciclovir uses penciclovir as its active ingredient to stop HSV from replicating. Like valacyclovir, it is well absorbed, persists for a longer time in the body, and can be taken less frequently than acyclovir.
Antiviral medication is commonly prescribed for patients having a first episode of genital herpes, but they can be used for recurrent episodes as well. There are two kinds of treatment regimens: episodic therapy and suppressive therapy.
How Should I Take Valacyclovir Tablets
- Take valacyclovir tablets exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider. Your dose of valacyclovir tablets and length of treatment will depend on the type of herpes infection that you have and any other medical problems that you have.
- Do not stop valacyclovir tablets or change your treatment without talking to your healthcare provider.
- Valacyclovir tablets can be taken with or without food.If you are taking valacyclovir tablets to treat cold sores, chickenpox, shingles or genital herpes, you should start treatment as soon as possible after your symptoms start. Valacyclovir tablets may not help you if you start treatment too late.
- If you miss a dose of valacyclovir tablets, take it as soon as you remember and then take your next dose at its regular time. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, do not take the missed dose. Wait and take the next dose at the regular time.
- Do not take more than the prescribed number of valacyclovir tablets each day. Call your healthcare provider right away if you take too much valacyclovir tablets.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Mouth Herpes Naturally
What Can Trigger An Outbreak Of The Disease
There is not a huge amount known about the causes of recurrent outbreaks, but existing evidence suggests that the following are common triggers:
- Not feeling well generally
- Being exposed to ultraviolet light by using sunbeds, for example
- Having surgery on your genitals or the surrounding area
- Having a weakened immune system,
How Can I Reduce My Risk Of Herpes Simplex
You can reduce your risk of contracting HSV-1 by avoiding physical contact with someone who has a cold sore. People can still spread HSV-1 when cold sores arent present, but its less likely.
If someone has an active HSV-1 infection, avoid:
- Sharing utensils, cups, lip balms or other personal care products.
- Touching the skin near their mouth.
If youre sexually active, you can take these steps to protect yourself and others from the herpes virus and other STIs:
- Be monogamous with one sexual partner or limit your number of partners.
- Get tested for STIs and complete any prescribed treatment.
- Tell your sexual partners if you have genital herpes so they can get tested.
- Use condoms during intercourse and dental dams during oral sex.
Wash your hands often if you have an outbreak or are around someone with symptoms.
If your sexual partner has genital herpes, these actions can lower your risk of getting the virus:
- Dont have sex when your partner has active symptoms. Condoms may not cover all sores, so you may still get the virus.
- Make sure your partner takes antiviral medication as prescribed.
- Wait to have sex until scabs fall off active lesions.
Read Also: How To Help Herpes Itching
What Is The Best Medication For Herpes
The effectiveness of a particular medication varies depending on the person, so there’s no single “best” herpes treatment. Doctors prescribe the most suitable drug for each patient’s condition, medical history, and current medications. That said, here are a few of the drugs most commonly used to treat HSV:
|Best medication for herpes|
This doesn’t encompass the full scope of potential side effects, just the most common ones. Anyone considering treatment with one of these medications should speak with a healthcare professional for a more comprehensive list.
What Is Neonatal Herpes
Neonatal herpes can be a very serious infection. Babies generally contract the virus from their birthing parent during childbirth even if the parent doesnt have active lesions. They may also get HSV-1 if an adult with an active cold sore kisses them. Breastfeeding babies can also get HSV-1 from the breast if there are lesions present. But babies cant get herpes from breast milk, so its safe to pump and feed.
Herpes simplex can be more dangerous for young babies because they dont have a fully developed immune system. But most babies with neonatal herpes can recover fully with treatment.
The dangers of neonatal herpes are much higher if the infection spreads to the babys organs. If youre pregnant and have herpes, speak with your healthcare provider about how to lower the risk of passing the infection to your baby.
Don’t Miss: Can Mouth Herpes Be Cured
Who Should Use Scream Cream
Scream Cream is a generally well-tolerated medication that is suitable for many women ranging from those that have lost sex drive or desire due to medical or hormonal issues, to women who just want to add in a little extra spark to the relationship.So, while the majority of women who are interested in trying something new in the bedroom are candidates for therapy, certain people should steer clear of scream creams.If you are currently pregnant or trying to become pregnant you should not use scream creams as certain medications inside may not be suitable for a developing child.If you are currently breastfeeding you should not use scream creams as the minute amounts of medication that may get into circulation may not be appropriate or may be untested in a child who is drinking the breastmilk.If you have genital herpes you should avoid scream creams that have the ingredient Arginine, as this amino acid may increase the replication of the herpes virus. Often, scream creams can be formulated without this ingredient if you have herpes.If you know that you have an allergy to any of the ingredients contained in the product you should avoid using the scream cream. Your pharmacy will be able to supply you with a list of all contained ingredients before you receive the product.
Risks And Side Effects
The three main treatments for herpes acyclovir, famciclovir, and valacyclovir are all FDA-approved drugs, though there are side effects and interactions to be aware of.
Common side effects of these antiviral drugs include headaches and nausea. Famciclovir can cause dizziness, confusion, or sleepiness.
Acyclovir and valacyclovir, which are very similar to each other, can cause your kidneys to stop working. If you have kidney problems, your doctor may prescribe a lower dose. These medications may interact with other drugs such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, which may weaken kidney function.
Also Check: Can I Use Abreva On Genital Herpes
Related Resouruces For Herpes
* Prescription savings vary by prescription and by pharmacy, and may reach up to 80% off cash price.
Pharmacy names, logos, brands, and other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This article is not medical advice. It is intended for general informational purposes and is not meant to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your physician or dial 911.
Simple Treatments For The Relief Of Discomfort
- Wear loose underclothes, preferably cotton , to help minimise discomfort and allow healing.
- Use plain water or saline solution with cotton wool to clean and soothe the area. To make a saline solution, use 1 teaspoon of salt in 600ml of water or a handful of salt in a shallow bath.
- Dont use scented soaps, bubble bath, etc in the area, as these may irritate it.
- Using a hairdryer on its lowest setting to dry the area may be more comfortable than using a towel.
- Pain relief medication such as paracetamol and ibuprofen may ease the pain. Check with your pharmacist or other health professional whether taking these is suitable for you.
- Ice wrapped in a face cloth or flannel and placed over the sores for 510 minutes may be soothing. Dont apply ice directly to the sores as this can cause ice burn.
- If you find peeing painful, try applying Vaseline® to the area or sitting in a warm bath before urinating or using a pump bottle full of water and spraying water on yourself while peeing.
- You can also try applying a pain relief cream such as lignocaine cream to the painful area. This is applied 5 minutes before peeing and should be used for a maximum of 12 days.
- Drink plenty of fluids as this dilutes your pee and may help reduce stinging.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Get Rid Of Genital Herpes
Read Also: How Do Herpes Look Like On Lips
How Should I Take Famvir
Take Famvir exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides or instruction sheets. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose.
Taking more Famvir than prescribed will not make this medicine more effective
For cold sores or genital herpes, you should start taking Famvir as soon as possible after the first appearance of symptoms .
You may take Famvir with or without food.
Lesions caused by herpes viruses should be kept as clean and dry as possible. Wearing loose clothing may help to prevent irritation of the lesions.
To prevent recurrent genital herpes, you may need to take Famvir for up to 1 year. Follow your doctor’s instructions.
Use this medicine for the full prescribed length of time, even if your symptoms quickly improve. Skipping doses may increase the risk of your virus becoming resistant to medication.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Are Antiviral Medications Safe
Antiviral medications are considered to be very safe. They are nearly always well tolerated because the active ingredients only have an effect in cells that have been infected by the virus.
People who have kidney failure may need to take a lower dose because the medication is removed from the body through the kidneys.
Don’t Miss: Herpes In Roof Of Mouth
How To Get Rid Of Genital Herpes Fast: Is It Possible
The herpes simplex virus type 2, better known as genital herpes, is a sexually transmitted infection without a known cure. Although its not yet possible to permanently get rid of genital herpes, a number of techniques are proven to speed up the recovery of an outbreak and reduce unwanted symptoms.
You may recognize a genital herpes outbreak by the appearance of blisters and lesions. Most people experience their first outbreak two to 12 days after initial exposure to the virus. After the blisters break, it may take up to four weeks for herpes ulcers to heal.
After the first outbreak, recurring outbreaks are common but dont last nearly as long. Sores tend to heal within three to seven days in recurring outbreaks, and the number of outbreak periods may even decrease over time.
When To Contact A Doctor
A person should consider contacting a doctor if their cold sores are large, feel painful, and keep coming back.
The AAD recommends that people seek medical help if they have other health conditions, such as cancer or HIV, or take medications that suppress the immune system. This is because cold sores may not clear without treatment, and they may spread to other parts of the body.
A doctor can advise on treating cold sores and whether or not prescription medications are most suitable for the persons needs.
Read Also: Is Genital Herpes An Autoimmune Disease
Also Check: How To Stop Herpes Simplex 1 Outbreaks
How Is Genital Herpes Spread
Genital herpes is usually transmitted by having sexual contact with someone who carries HSV. You can get genital herpes through direct contact with an infected blister or sore, usually through sexual contact. You can also transmit or get the virus when you or your partner have no symptoms present .
Most people who infect others donât realise they are putting their partners at risk.
- Around 80% of people with genital herpes donât know they have the virus because they have very mild symptoms or none at all.
- More than 75% of people who have genital herpes get it from people who are entirely unaware that they have it themselves.
Using condoms reduces your risk of passing on the virus by about 50%, but does not remove it completely.
You cannot catch genital herpes by sharing cups, towels or bath water, or from toilet seats. It can only be spread by close skin-to-skin contact.
HSV that causes genital herpes does not cause cervical cancer.
Order Antiviral Treatments For Herpes
If you have genital herpes, you can get an online prescription for antiviral herpes medication discreetly and easily. Our doctorâs prescribe aciclovir, valaciclovir or famciclovir via our online service.
Order for a herpes outbreak: if you have a flare-up of symptoms, you can get a short course of medication to help control the outbreak.
Order to prevent outbreaks: if you get outbreaks more than 6 times a year or find your symptoms are hard to deal with, you can have suppressive treatment. This is where you take a low dose of antiviral medication every day to help prevent outbreaks.
Order a herpes test: if you need to check if youre a carrier of herpes, you can order a herpes test online now.
|1st outbreak â up to 10 days||Â£25.00|
Click & Collect: free Next Day Delivery: Â£3.99Dispensing and standard delivery included.
You May Like: Can You Be An Egg Donor With Herpes
Is There A Cure Or Treatment For Genital Herpes
There is no cure for genital herpes. However, daily use of antiviral medicines can prevent or shorten outbreaks. Antiviral medicines also can reduce the chance of spreading it to others.
Though several clinical trials have tested vaccines against genital herpes, there is no vaccine currently available to prevent infection. One vaccine trial showed efficacy among women whose partners had HSV-2, but only among women not infected with HSV-1. Efficacy was not observed among men whose partners had HSV-2. Another trial testing the same vaccine showed some protection from genital HSV-1 infection, but none from HSV-2.
What Causes Genital Herpes
Herpes is a virus. Whenever HSV is on the skin, it can be passed to another person. It is passed between people by direct skin-to-skin contact, including sex. You can also catch it if you share sex toys .
HSV cannot live for a very long time outside the human body. This is why it is assumed you cannot catch herpes by sharing baths or using swimming pools, using a toilet seat, or from sharing plates/cups/cutlery. However, you should avoid sharing towels or flannels just in case. While it is unlikely that the virus could survive this way, this is an extra precaution that you can take to avoid infection.
Read Also: How Contagious Is Herpes 1
Do Not Try To Pop A Cold Sore
As discussed, cold sores are not canker sores. Something else theyre not? Pimples. While popping a pimple can be a quick, effective, and profoundly satisfying way to reduce the unsightliness of a pimple, trying to squeeze a cold sore is likely to blow up in your faceand other places besides. See, pimples form when sebum clogs a pore in your skin. Cold sores, on the other hand, are the result of an infectious virus . Get that infectious viral fluid on your fingers, and youre risking spreading cold sores to other parts of your body or the body of someone else. So relax, dont do it.
Cream For Genital Herpes
Wash your hands before and after using the cream.
Put a thin layer of cream on the affected area 5 times a day. Do this every 4 hours for example, at 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7pm and 11pm.
Use the cream for at least 5 days. If the genital herpes sore has not healed by then, you can carry on using the cream for another 5 days.
If the affected area has still not healed after a total of 10 days, stop using the cream and tell your doctor.
Also Check: How Do You Keep Herpes From Spreading
Don’t Miss: How To Treat Herpes Sores On Buttocks