What Are The Signs Of Herpes In Men
In about two-thirds of cases, men will have no symptoms of herpes. Symptoms of herpes in men may include:
It is unclear if genital herpes affects fertility in men because it affects such a large part of the population. However, a recent study found that herpes may lower the sperm count in men and may have an effect on mens ability to get pregnant with a partner.
What Is Genital Herpes
Genital herpes is one of the common sexually transmitted infections or STIs. It is caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus . Genital herpes causes blisters or sores and can be passed on from one person to another through skin-to-skin contact, including genital contact.
Although genital herpes is commonly found on the genitals or mouth, blisters can occur on any other area of your skin as well. The infection can be managed with medication and lifestyle changes.
Image Source: Allure
Types Of Antiviral Drugs
There are three oral antivirals recommended for the treatment of oral or genital herpes:
|Famvir, 250 mg||Twice daily|
Preventing genital herpes recurrence is important as it reduces the risk of HIV. According to the CDC, having an active genital herpes infection increases the risk of HIV by 200% to 300%.
You May Like: How To Soothe Herpes Pain
Treatment The First Time You Have Genital Herpes
You may be prescribed:
- antiviral medicine to stop the symptoms getting worse you need to start taking this within 5 days of the symptoms appearing
- cream for the pain
If you have had symptoms for more than 5 days before you go to a sexual health clinic, you can still get tested to find out the cause.
What Are The Signs Of Herpes In Children
The herpes virus can be spread to babies and children if they are kissed by someone that is infected and has active cold sores. Although rare, it is also possible to spread herpes to a child or infant by touch if a person touches their cold sore and then touches the baby or child.
Precautions can be taken to protect infants and other children from getting the virus. Avoid kissing children if you have a cold sore and ask other people not to as well. Wash your hands frequently if you have a cold sore and you are around children.
Read Also: How Are You Tested For Herpes
How To Get Rid Of Herpes 13 Home Remedies To Treat Herpes Outbreak Naturally
BySponsored by Impower Solutions onWed, Mar 17, 2021 at 6:02 am
What is Herpes and its symptoms? Herpes Simplex Virus 1 and 2 Herpes Simplex Virus 1 Herpes Simplex Virus What triggers an outbreak?Common triggers for outbreaks are a weak immune system 13 Home Remedies to Treat Herpes Naturally
How Long Do Herpes Symptoms Take To Show
On average, it takes about 4 days after exposure to start showing the symptoms of herpes. The herpes incubation period ranges between 2 and 12 days. The most common early sign of herpes is sores around the genitals or mouth.
The first time you get the herpes virus, it may cause flu-like symptoms, such as a fever, headache, and body aches. Then, subsequent outbreaks may cause sores and less severe symptoms. Generally, the frequency of outbreaks lessens over time.
Read Also: How To Get Tested For Mouth Herpes
How Is Genital Herpes Treated During Pregnancy
- Oral antiviral medications may be used during pregnancy.
- One serious concern with genital herpes in pregnancy is the transmission of the infection to the baby during delivery. In an infant, a genital herpes infection can spread through the bloodstream and have serious consequences.
- Cesarean delivery is performed for women who go into labor while there is an active outbreak of genital herpes in order to prevent infection of the baby during birth.
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends that pregnant women with recurrent genital herpes be offered oral antiviral medication at or beyond 36 weeks until delivery in order to increase the chances of being able to deliver vaginally.
Find Out More Tips To Get Rid Of Herpes Today
Natural treatments for all strains of herpes often work better than prescription-strength medications, as they dont trigger unwanted side effects. This is why we wish more people knew about the power and potential of natural herpes treatments. The key to unlocking superior self-care is downloading Herpes Cure Secrets eBook today. Once youve done so, youll discover every secret of fighting herpes, without drugs or surgery.
When you get in an innovative e-book of this type, youll gain amazing benefits without needing to spend money for prescriptions, antibiotics or any medicines. The tips that you learn will be yours to use for a lifetime. Without a natural herpes cure e-book, you may find that you become dependent on harsh medications and ointments which are loaded with lab-created chemicals. Sometimes, these medications and ointments cause side effects which are almost as bad as what they are trying to fix.
Related: Herpes Cure 2019 Research
A lot of people are fed up with prescription meds for herpes and other lab-created treatments. They want natural care and believe that the answers to stopping herpes are holistic ones. We believe the same and this is why we encourage you to download Herpes Secret Cure eBook today. Doing so will help you to enjoy better health.
Now that you know the value of this e-book, why not treat yourself to copy today? Its the best thing that you can do for your health and well-being, as well as your self-esteem.
Don’t Miss: How Much L Lysine To Take For Herpes Outbreak
Herpes Symptoms And Signs
In order to diagnose herpes, a health care provider can swab an area of visibly active herpes infection or, if symptoms arent active, a blood test can be given that measures the number of herpes antibodies present in the body. The antibodies dont indicate herpes itself, but rather show the immune systems response to the presence of the virus in the body. Its important to note that sometimes a swab can give false negative results since herpes lesions need to be large enough to yield enough detectable virus and if the outbreak is already healing it also may not be detected in a swab.
The most common herpes symptoms include:
- Developing either a single cold sore or cluster of multiple cold sores that form on the lips, inside the mouth, or on the genitals, buttocks and upper thighs.
- Sores can sometimes be severe, painful and rupture and cause fluid to be secreted out.
- Some herpes canker sores develop a thin, white coating and burn when touched while they healing.
- Around herpes cold sores, its common to feel pain, tenderness and other symptoms of a rash, such as redness or signs of swelling.
- Some people are able to tell before an outbreak if one is going to occur because they feel tingling, itchy sensations near the affected area.
- Some people develop other symptoms during herpes outbreaks that are similar to those caused by a cold or the flu. This may include fatigue, irritability, aches or a slight fever.
What Prescription Drugs Treat Cold Sores
Prescription-strength topical medications: Treatment with topical acyclovir or penciclovir will reduce healing time by approximately half a day and decrease pain associated with the lesion. Topical treatment is limited in its effectiveness because it has poor penetration to the site of replication of the virus and therefore is restricted in its healing ability. Acyclovir cream should be applied five times per day for 4 days, and penciclovir cream should be applied every two hours while awake for 4 days. A cream containing 5% acyclovir and a topical steroid called Xerese is also available.
Treatment for the first outbreak of oral herpes in an otherwise healthy person may include:
- Acyclovir, 400 mg orally three times a day for 10 days or until the lesions have crusted
- Valacyclovir, 2,000 mg orally every 12 hours for 1 day
- Famciclovir, 250 mg orally three times a day for 7-10 days
- Treatment doses for recurrent oral herpes are as follows:
- Acyclovir, 400 mg orally three times a day for 5 days: It may also be given as 800 mg orally twice a day for 5 days or 800 mg three times a day for 2 days.
- Valacyclovir, 2,000 mg orally every 12 hours for 1 day
- Famciclovir, 1,500 mg orally once
- Suppressive treatment for those with frequent outbreaks may be given for 12 months, but it may be extended if needed:
- Acyclovir, 400 mg orally twice a day
- Valacyclovir, 500 mg orally once a day
- Famciclovir, 250 mg orally twice a day
Recommended Reading: Can You Have Sex With Herpes
Epsom Salt For Herpes
What You Have To Do
How Often You Need To Do This
Repeat this twice a day.
Why This Works
This is one of the best home remedies for herpes that works well for genitals. The salt soak will soothe the itching and pain caused by the sores . It will also dry out the sores because of its hygroscopic nature .
Is There A Cure Or Treatment For Herpes
Theres no cure for the herpes virus yet. A herpes vaccine doesnt currently exist, as the herpes virus has more complicated DNA than most infections, creating challenges for researchers.
However, medication can help with symptoms, like sores, and outbreaks. Medication also lowers the risk of transmission to others. You can take most medications for herpes orally, though you may also apply some as a cream or receive them by injection.
Also Check: How To Cure Mouth Herpes Fast
Preventing The Spread Of Herpes Is A Loving Act
Herpes infection can cause serious complications. Serious complications may be associated with herpes infection. Along with human papillomavirus , herpesvirus has been implicated as a cause of cervical cancer. The presence of herpesvirus in the expectant mother’s birth canal is a great danger to the infant. Unless the baby is delivered by Caesarean section, there is a risk of meningitis, blindness, chronic herpes infection, and even death to the newborn. There are several natural therapies that make herpes outbreaks more bearable. One of the most important is diet. People who have genital herpes need to:
- Avoid foods that are high in the amino acid arginine and
- Eat foods that are high in the amino acid lysine.
Scientists have long believed that arginine acts as a “trigger” telling the herpesvirus to replicate itself. Lysine, on the other hand, is so chemically similar to arginine that it can keep the virus from absorbing arginine. This action prevents the virus from multiplying.
Boosting Your Immune System
Another way to potentially speed up healing for herpes outbreaks and reduce the frequency of future outbreaks is to strengthen your bodys natural immunity. When your immune system is strong, it will be more capable of suppressing the virus.
Some of the recommended ways to boost your immunity include:
- Minimize stress.
- Eat a diet with lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise regularly.
- Get an adequate amount of sleep every night.
- Drink in moderation and avoid smoking.
You May Like: How To Not Get Herpes
Facts And Statistics About Herpes
- According to the World Health Organization, an estimated two-thirds of the global population under 50 years old are infected with herpes simplex virus type 1 .
- Estimates for HSV-1 prevalence in the U.S. among people aged 049 years are 178 million women and 142 million men .
- In total, about 75 percent or more of the American adult population has the HSV-1 virus that usually causes oral herpes , and about 20 percent to 30 percent have HSV-2 that usually causes genital herpes.
- Men and women are affected by HSV-1 about equally. Roughly 6 million women in the U.S. become infected with HSV-1 each year, along with 5 million men.
- Slightly more women than men are affected by genital herpes, whether from HSV-1 or HSV-2. Middle-aged women are most likely to acquire genital herpes.
- Transmission of HSV most often occurs without symptoms, so its estimated that 85 percent of people with genital herpes dont know it. Many dont have any symptoms at all after the initial infection, and only about 15 percent ever receive a HSV-2 infection diagnosis in their lifetimes.
- Most primary oral/facial HSV infections are caused by HSV-1 however, facial infection by HSV-2 is increasingly becoming common.
- Less children are becoming infected with HSV-1 than in the past in high-income countries, mostly due to better hygiene and living conditions.
- After someone comes into contact with an active herpes outbreak on another person, the incubation period takes about one week.
Genital Herpes Treatment In Pregnancy
You may be offered antiviral treatment:
- to treat outbreaks in pregnancy
- from 36 weeks to reduce the chance of an outbreak during birth
- from diagnosis until the birth if you first get herpes after 28 weeks of pregnancy
Many women with genital herpes have a vaginal delivery. You may be offered a caesarean, depending on your circumstances.
You May Like: Can You Get Herpes From Blood
Can You Get Herpes On Your Tongue
While you may associate herpes type 1 with cold sores on your lips, it is possible to suffer from the symptoms of herpes on your tongue. This is referred to as oral herpes and usually affects more of your mouth than just your tongue. More than half of all adults in the United States are thought to have oral herpes.
Herbal Remedies May Help Cold Sores Disappear Faster
According to Russell, a chapped-lip stick made with the herb lemon balm is soothing and seals the cold sore. Your best bet for finding such a cold sore treatment is the local health-food store. While there, Russell says you may also want to check out an herbal combination known by the acronym WTTCGE , which appears to reduce the amount of time youll have to suffer a cold sore, according to research from the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Herpes On Lip At Home
Who Is Prone To Genital Herpes
People who are prone to genital herpes include:
- people with a history of prior sexually transmitted diseases
- those who are too young of age for first sexual intercourse
- those who have a high number of sexual partners
- those of poor socioeconomic status
- those with compromised immune systems, notably patients with HIV
- patients who have undergone transplants
Soaking In A Warm Bath
Soaking in a warm bath is often recommended online as a home treatment for speeding up the healing process if you have genital herpes. The theory behind this home remedy is that the hot water in the bathtub kills the virus and helps the skin heal faster.
The scientific side of this claim simply isnt true. Herpes is a viral infection that isnt affected by hot water. It remains dormant in nerve tissue inside the body, meaning that no amount of warm bathing is going to have any effect on actually treating the virus.
As such, you shouldnt expect a hot bath to reduce the amount of time required for herpes sores to disappear.
However, soaking in a warm bath isnt necessarily a bad thing if you have herpes. Warm water can soften your skin and dull the itching and discomfort that often accompanies genital herpes, making it a good way to relax if youre being bothered by a herpes outbreak.
As far as how to heal herpes sores faster goes, for that, youll need to take valacyclovir or another antiviral medication.
Don’t Miss: How To Treat Herpes Lesions
Home Remedies For Genital Herpes
Genital herpes is a common sexually transmitted disease caused by two types of viruses: herpes simplex type 1 and herpes simplex type 2 .
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about one out of every six people between the ages of 14 and 49 in the United States have genital herpes.
This kind of infection can affect anyone, but women are at a higher risk than men. Having multiple sexual partners also increases the risk of this infection.
Some common symptoms of genital herpes include pain, itching, small red bumps or tiny white blisters, sores in the genital area and painful urination. Other symptoms may include headaches, body aches and fever.
However, some people have genital herpes without any signs or symptoms.
The infectious virus spreads mostly through sexual contact. After the initial infection, the virus may remain dormant in the body and can reactivate after some time.
In fact, the signs and symptoms may recur, off and on, for years. Recurrences are generally less painful than the original outbreak, and sores generally heal more quickly.
While there is no cure for genital herpes, many home remedies can ease symptoms and reduce the risk of infecting others.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for genital herpes.