What Can I Do If I Have Herpes Simplex 2
Many people who find out they have herpes feel depressed knowing they’ll always have the virus and can give it to others. But you arent alone. Herpes is one of the most common STIs, both in the U.S. and worldwide. If you have herpes, you should:
- Learn all you can about it. Information will help you to manage your disease and feel better about yourself.
- Talk about your illness with your doctor.
If you have herpes, you can still:
- Have sex if you use a condom or dental dam , and you tell your partner about your illness. Some couples, who have sexual relations only with each other, may choose not to use condoms even though one partner has herpes. Because each situation is different, you should ask your doctor if this is the right choice for you in your relationship.
- Have children. People with herpes can still give birth to healthy babies. If you have herpes and plan to have children, discuss your illness with your healthcare provider.
If you have herpes, you should also get checked for HIV and other STIs .
What Is Neonatal Herpes
Neonatal herpes can be a very serious infection. Babies generally contract the virus from their birthing parent during childbirth even if the parent doesnt have active lesions. They may also get HSV-1 if an adult with an active cold sore kisses them. Breastfeeding babies can also get HSV-1 from the breast if there are lesions present. But babies cant get herpes from breast milk, so its safe to pump and feed.
Herpes simplex can be more dangerous for young babies because they dont have a fully developed immune system. But most babies with neonatal herpes can recover fully with treatment.
The dangers of neonatal herpes are much higher if the infection spreads to the babys organs. If youre pregnant and have herpes, speak with your healthcare provider about how to lower the risk of passing the infection to your baby.
Ii Best Home Remedies For Genital Herpes
1. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes With Epsom Salt
Scientifically, Epsom salt is also known as hydrated magnesium sulfate. Epsom salt is not salt. It looks like salt, however, is pure mineral. Epsom salt contains magnesium and sulfate minerals. It is an exfoliating scrub and a natural anti-inflammatory ingredient that helps fight genital herpes. Epsom salt can contribute to reducing the symptoms of genital herpes effectively. It can help speed up the healing of blisters in affected areas. When you have genital herpes, you will surely have fluid-filled blisters. In the cases of these breakouts, the blisters will cause a rapid burst of genital herpes. But with the use of Epsom salt, you will no longer be susceptible to these blisters. In addition, Epsom salt not only kills harmful bacteria in the diseased area but also provides moisture to the affected areas, which make you comfortable and relaxed during the illness. Besides, together with the use of treating genital herpes, Epsom salts can also keep you away from the side effects of antiviral drugs. Taking a bath with Epsom salt is an excellent home remedy for removing genital herpes.
How to do:
2. Home Remedies For Genital Herpes With Coconut Oil
Also Check: How To Prevent Getting Genital Herpes
Palmarosa Oil And Herpes
Palmarosa, whose scientific name is Cymbopogon martinii, is a kind of herbaceous plant belonging to the gender Cymbopogon. It is also known with the name of Turkish rose.
An essential oil is extracted from the air part of palmarosa which is very used in the industry of cosmetics. It has antiviral, antibacterial, antiseptic and moisturizer properties.
Essential oil of palmarosa can be used for the topical treatment of herpes. You should not use the pure oil, dissolve it in some vegetable oil and later apply the blend on the affected area.
The use of the essential oil of palmarosa is contraindicated in pregnant women and people allergic to pollen.
If you are allergic to some herbs you should consult your dermatologist before using the palmarosa oil.
Is There A Way To Prevent Getting Herpes
You can protect yourself and your partner by taking steps to prevent an outbreak of herpes. Some things that you can do include:
-If you already have herpes, dont have sex until the outbreak is completely gone, even with a condom.
-Try to learn the signs of an impending outbreak, such as itching, tingling and burning, and stop having sex as soon as you notice.
-If you wear contact lenses, dont wet your lenses with your saliva. This could spread your herpes infection to your eyes.
-Dont have sex with your partner until your herpes sores are completely healed.
-Always tell your partner if you are infected with the herpes virus before you have sex. Even though it can be embarrassing and difficult, herpes is very common, and telling your partner will help keep the infection from spreading.
Don’t Miss: How To Keep Genital Herpes From Spreading
How To Manage Genital Herpes With Compresses
Warm and cold compresses are the simplest natural treatment for genital herpes. Though the idea of a compress might sound old fashioned, research shows that topical therapy can effectively alleviate symptoms of genital herpes outbreaks and even contribute to the prevention of outbreaks when used promptly.
Here are a few tried-and-true natural compress ideas to get you started:
- -Dry, warm compress using warmed rice in a sock
- -Cold compress using an ice pack or soft washcloth filled with ice
- -Baking soda paste
- -Crushed garlic cloves mixed with olive oil
- -Topical apple cider vinegar using one-part ACV and three-parts warm water
When Should You Call Your Doctor About Genital Herpes
With an initial outbreak, if an individual has signs or symptoms of a genital herpes infection, he or she should seek the care of a doctor as soon as possible, particularly if the diagnosis of genital herpes has not been previously established. Although genital herpes infections generally are not medical emergencies, treatment is more effective when it is started within the first few days of the outbreak.
Subsequent outbreaks rarely need immediate medical attention.
- If an individual has had a genital herpes outbreak before, discuss options for preventing further outbreaks with a doctor.
- People with severe underlying medical problems are at higher risk of severe illness if the disease is untreated. These individuals should contact a doctor immediately upon noticing genital herpes sores.
- A pregnant woman with signs or symptoms of genital herpes must inform her doctor as soon as possible. Prompt medical therapy may reduce the risk of transmitting the disease to newborn children by exposure in the birth canal.
In otherwise healthy people, genital herpes outbreaks rarely require hospital visits. If an individual is experiencing an initial episode of genital herpes and cannot be seen by a regular doctor within the first few days of the illness, it is advisable to go to a hospital’s emergency department to have medical treatment started.
You May Like: Is It Harder To Get Pregnant With Herpes
The Course Of The Infection
The beginning of the disease reminds of a common flu. The infection does not always develop into a blister on the lips. Sometimes you fight flu-like symptoms for a few days, but no blister appears. The virus never leaves the body, it stays there and usually becomes active when the organism has been weakened by another illness or stress. Then a typical cold sore forms. The first type of herpes often occurs in babies and later in adult and old people. The second type occurs at the beginning of sexual maturity, between 14 and 29 years.
Wikimedia Commons, author: BruceBlaus, CC BY-SA 4.0
A worldwide infection
The infectious herpes disease with typical blisters is the most common infection in the world. The most common types of herpes are called HSV1 and HSV2.
The first type is responsible for the onset of herpes in the facial area, especially on the lips. It is often transferred while kissing. The second type is transmitted during sexual intercourse and results in blisters in the genital area. In certain cases, HSV1 may also cause a blister in the genital area and HSV2 may cause a blister on the lips.
Also Check: What To Put On Herpes On Buttocks
Endnotes About How To Get Rid Of Genital Herpes Fast
I hope this article about treatments for genital herpes in men and women has met your expectations for the information you need to get rid of the disease.
The most useful information in the article refers to the cure for genital herpes using The Ultimate Herpes Protocol.
If you have read the full article you will have taken an important step because knowing about the diseases that affect us is the first step to a cure.
I only need to ask you to share this article with your friends on social networks, if you have found it useful, because then they can benefit from the information it contains.
Also Check: What Does The Beginning Of Herpes Feel Like
Recommended Reading: What To Do When You Think You Have Herpes
Things To Know About Genital Herpes
- Genital herpes is a common sexually transmitted disease caused by a virus that infects genital areas.
- Herpes simplex virus is the cause of genital herpes.
- Genital herpes causes lesions in the form of blisters or groups of small ulcers on and around the genitals in both men and women.
- There is no cure for genital herpes, but medications are available that can treat outbreaks, minimize the symptoms, and decrease recurrences.
- Genital herpes is highly contagious. Carriers can transmit the disease without having any symptoms of an active infection.
- Signs of genital herpes develop within 3-7 days after contact with an infected person.
- Most people with genital herpes have recurring outbreaks.
How Does Genital Herpes Affect Pregnant Women
While genital herpes rarely causes serious health problems in healthy men and women, HSV-2 can be dangerous for pregnant women and the neonate, particularly during the last trimester of pregnancy. The virus may cause premature labor and babies can contract the virus in the womb or when passing through the birth canal.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Test For Herpes Type 2
Dab On Some Zinc Oxide Skin Cream For Relief
Yes, the same thick white cream that lifeguards put on their noses and you put on a babys diaper rash can be an effective home remedy for cold sores. Apply some every day to speed recovery and relieve the aggravation of the infection. Gels or creams that contain lidocaine are also helpful in reducing your overall discomfort by slightly numbing the area.
Read Also: Can You Catch Herpes From Saliva
Genital Herpes Is Spread By Skin
The virus can be spread when someone with HSV has an episode or an outbreak characterised by having a sore, blister, ulcer or skin split . It can also be spread between episodes, when there is no sore, blister, ulcer or skin split present called asymptomatic viral shedding.
During viral shedding the virus is on the skin surface and can be spread through genital skin-to-skin contact, or from the mouth or face to genital skin during contact.
Read Also: How Does Vaginal Herpes Look
Soaking In A Warm Bath
Soaking in a warm bath is often recommended online as a home treatment for speeding up the healing process if you have genital herpes. The theory behind this home remedy is that the hot water in the bathtub kills the virus and helps the skin heal faster.
The scientific side of this claim simply isnt true. Herpes is a viral infection that isnt affected by hot water. It remains dormant in nerve tissue inside the body, meaning that no amount of warm bathing is going to have any effect on actually treating the virus.
As such, you shouldnt expect a hot bath to reduce the amount of time required for herpes sores to disappear.
However, soaking in a warm bath isnt necessarily a bad thing if you have herpes. Warm water can soften your skin and dull the itching and discomfort that often accompanies genital herpes, making it a good way to relax if youre being bothered by a herpes outbreak.
As far as how to heal herpes sores faster goes, for that, youll need to take valacyclovir or another antiviral medication.
Recommended Reading: How To Live With Herpes Type 1
Are There Any Home Remedies For Genital Herpes
Home remedies are often natural and quick ways to deal with ailments. Are there any home remedies for genital herpes, or is medication the only option? Find out here.
Contracting an STI like genital herpes can be embarrassing. You may feel uncomfortable going to your doctor or a sexual health clinic, but also need to know for sure that you have the virus, as well as what to do next. As Herpes is a virus, there is no known cure, but thankfully it can be treated. There are a number of home remedies that can reduce discomfort, but these are no substitute for a course of antiviral medicine that will stop the virus from multiplying. Here we are going to detail both so you can get the best possible treatment
A Little About the Condition
Physical symptoms include blisters and other marks which can appear around your genitals as well as around the mouth, as cold sores and herpes are actually caused by the same virus. Given the nature of this particular virus, anyone who engages in sexual activity with someone they know to have herpes should get tested immediately even if they show no signs or symptoms.
While the following can only be considered as complimentary treatments, these home remedies will certainly help reduce inflammation, swelling and itching, while a proper course of antivirals are getting to work.
Hot and cold
Take Action Today
Official Online Doctor since 2009
Don’t Miss: How Do You Know If You Ve Got Herpes
What You Need To Know
- Fifty percent to 80 percent of U.S. adults have oral herpes.
- Oral herpes can be spread through intimate contact with someone who is infected.
- Oral herpes can be difficult to diagnose. Often confused with many other infections, it can only be confirmed with a virus culture called PCR, blood test or biopsy. PCR is the preferred test for diagnosing herpes infections.
- The best treatment for oral herpes is antiviral oral medication. Symptomatic treatment may include antiviral ointment, over-the-counter topical anesthetics or over-the-counter anti-inflammatory agents.
Whether you call it a cold sore or a fever blister, oral herpes is a common infection of the mouth area that is caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 . Fifty percent to 80 percent of U.S. adults have oral herpes. According to the National Institutes of Health, about 90 percent of adults have been exposed to the virus by age 50.
Once infected, a person will have herpes simplex virus for the rest of his or her life. When inactive, the virus lies dormant in a group of nerve cells. While some people never develop any symptoms from the virus, others will have periodic outbreaks of infections.
You May Like: How Long For Herpes To Go Away
How Do Doctors Manage Genital Herpes During Pregnancy
Oral antiviral medications as described above may be used during pregnancy. One serious concern with genital herpes in pregnancy is transmission of the infection to the baby during delivery. In an infant, genital herpes infection can spread through the bloodstream and have serious consequences. Cesarean delivery is performed for women who go into labor while there is an active outbreak of genital herpes in order to prevent infection of the baby during birth.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends that pregnant women with recurrent genital herpes be offered oral antiviral medication at or beyond 36 weeks until delivery in order to increase the chances of being able to deliver vaginally.
Dont Miss: What Cream To Use For Herpes
You May Like: How To Reduce Herpes Outbreaks
Facts And Statistics About Herpes
- According to the World Health Organization, an estimated two-thirds of the global population under 50 years old are infected with herpes simplex virus type 1 .
- Estimates for HSV-1 prevalence in the U.S. among people aged 049 years are 178 million women and 142 million men .
- In total, about 75 percent or more of the American adult population has the HSV-1 virus that usually causes oral herpes , and about 20 percent to 30 percent have HSV-2 that usually causes genital herpes.
- Men and women are affected by HSV-1 about equally. Roughly 6 million women in the U.S. become infected with HSV-1 each year, along with 5 million men.
- Slightly more women than men are affected by genital herpes, whether from HSV-1 or HSV-2. Middle-aged women are most likely to acquire genital herpes.
- Transmission of HSV most often occurs without symptoms, so its estimated that 85 percent of people with genital herpes dont know it. Many dont have any symptoms at all after the initial infection, and only about 15 percent ever receive a HSV-2 infection diagnosis in their lifetimes.
- Most primary oral/facial HSV infections are caused by HSV-1 however, facial infection by HSV-2 is increasingly becoming common.
- Less children are becoming infected with HSV-1 than in the past in high-income countries, mostly due to better hygiene and living conditions.
- After someone comes into contact with an active herpes outbreak on another person, the incubation period takes about one week.
A Quick Look At The 6 Best At
- Best herpestest subscription:LetsGetChecked
- Best STI panel test for herpes:Everlywell
- Best convenient herpestest:MyLAB Box
- Best affordable herpes test:HealthLabs
- Best test for early herpes detection:Priority STD
- Best herpes test for quick results: STDcheck
MNT chooses at-home tests that meet the following criteria where possible:
- Laboratories: Where possible, MNT will choose companies that process test samples in labs. This means they follow state and federal regulations.
- Budget: MNT chooses at-home tests that suit a wide range of budgets.
- Privacy: MNT includes companies that offer robust and transparent privacy measures, such as data protection and discreet packaging.
- Test result speed: MNT selects companies that inform customers when they will receive their test results and whether they will receive them via email, app, or phone.
- Further support: MNT will indicate whether a company offers further support, such as a follow-up phone consultation with a doctor to discuss test results.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Also Check: Does Herpes Make You Sick