Whats The Difference Between Dermabrasion And Other Skin Resurfacing Options Like Microdermabrasion
Depending upon your skin type, condition and goals, you may want to consider other skin resurfacing options. Work with your dermatologist to figure out which option will work best for you.
Consider the following skin resurfacing alternatives:
- Chemical peels use chemicals to dissolve top layers of skin of all skin types.
- Laser skin resurfacing utilizes a laser to reduce wrinkles or scars on fair skin types only.
- Microneedlinguses a physical device to reduce wrinkles or scars on all skin types.
- Microdermabrasion uses a spray of tiny abrasive crystals to soften all skin types. Its a lighter procedure than dermabrasion and wont work for deep skin issues, such as stretch marks, scars or wrinkles. It doesnt require anesthesia and your skin recovers in 24 hours.
Will Having Herpes Affect My Upcoming Tummy Tuck Healthtap
- Highest rating: 4
- Lowest rating: 2
- Descriptions: If it is oral herpes, for your tummy tuck you will need to be under anesthesia and incubated. You dont want the virus to be spread into the back of your throat
- More : If it is oral herpes, for your tummy tuck you will need to be under anesthesia and incubated. You dont want the virus to be spread into the back of your throat
For Partners Of Pregnant Women
If your partner is pregnant, and she does not have genital HSV, you can help ensure that the baby remains safe from the infection. Find out whether you have a genital HSV . Remember, approximately 20% of sexually active adults have genital HSV, and most do not have herpes symptoms. If you find that you have the herpes virus, follow these guidelines to protect your partner during the pregnancy:
- Use condoms from start to finish every time you have sexual contact, even if you have no herpes symptoms. HSV can be spread even when no symptoms are present.
- If you have genital herpes outbreaks, abstain from sex until the outbreak has completely healed.
- Talk with your health care provider about taking antiviral medication to suppress herpes outbreaks and to reduce the risk of herpes transmission between outbreaks.
- Consider abstaining from intercourse during the last trimester. Explore alternatives such as touching, kissing, fantasising, and massage.
- If you have cold sores , avoid performing oral sex on your partner when a cold sore is present.
- Your partner needs to tell her doctor if you have genital herpes so that all the issues can be discussed.
The best way to protect the baby from neonatal herpes is to prevent contracting genital HSV during late pregnancy, especially during the last six weeks.
Recommended Reading: How To Cure Herpes Naturally Video
Read Also: Can You Cure Herpes Type 1
What Will My Dermabrasion Pre
Once youve scheduled your dermabrasion procedure, your healthcare provider will give you preoperative instructions. To prepare for your procedure, your healthcare provider may instruct you to:
- Stay out of the sun. Your healthcare provider will likely speak to you about how recent sun exposure before your procedure can cause your skin to permanently discolor after dermabrasion.
- Stop certain drugs you take. Ask your healthcare provider how long you should stop blood thinners or other medications you take that have skin discoloration side effects .
- Dont smoke. Stop for at least two weeks leading up to your procedure because it decreases blood flow and slows the healing process.
Laboratory Diagnosis Tests: Figs 355363
|500 mg single dose followed by 250 mg 12/12 h for 2 days
|Up to 1 year
Recommended Reading: Will Herpes Be Cured In My Lifetime
A Quick Note On The Different Types Of Blood Donation
Today, there are several different types of blood donation. For example, The American Red Cross has four different donation categories that are split up depending on the blood components taken:
- Whole Blood: White blood cells, red blood cells, platelets, and plasma all donated
- Power Red: 2 units of red blood cells donated platelets and plasma returned to your bloodstream
- Platelet donation: Only platelets extracted donated other blood components are returned to bloodstream
- Plasma donation: Only plasma extracted and donated other blood components are returned to bloodstream
If you intend to take advantage of a blood donation type other than whole blood donation, keep in mind that these donations may be subject to additional restrictions and rules.
What Are The Dos And Donts Before Donating Blood
Have you explored the ins and out of giving blood restrictions, know youre eligible to donate, but not sure how to proceed with preparing to donate? There are several steps you can take to ensure that your donation goes smoothly. The American Red Cross provides a guide for first-time donors and a FAQ list. Complete Care has also created a handy guide for what to do before giving blood.
Read Also: What’s Good For Herpes Outbreaks
Why Is It Important To Have A Sexual Health Check
Sexually transmitted infections are passed from one person to another through sex or genital contact. They are sometimes referred to as sexually transmitted diseases .
If you have a new partner, or you have any symptoms or are worried about STIs it is important to get tested. STIs can affect your chances of getting pregnant, as well as your baby.
Common symptoms of an STI include:
- pain when peeing
However, most STIs have no symptoms or only mild symptoms that you may not realise are caused by an infection. This means that many people who have an STI will not know they are infected and can pass it on to any sexual partners.
If they are not treated, some STIs can:
- cause health problems for you and your baby during pregnancy
- be passed on to your baby
Most STIs can be treated with antibiotics, special creams or shampoos. But some treatments are not suitable if you are pregnant. Its a good idea for you and your partner to get checked before you try for a baby.
Recommended Reading: Does This Look Like Herpes
Genital Herpes And Hiv Treatment Issues
Its more difficult to treat genital herpes if you also have HIV. Higher doses of antiviral drugs are often needed to treat herpes in people with HIV. Also, many people with HIV have strains of the herpes virus that are resistant to treatment with the standard antiviral drugs.
If you take antiviral drugs for genital herpes and the treatment isnt working, your doctor can test the virus you have for resistance. If the virus is resistant, there are other possible treatment alternatives, including the drugs Foscarnet and cidofovir.
If you have HIV, ask your doctor if you should be tested for genital herpes. If you already know that you have herpes and HIV, discuss treatment options with your doctor.
Dont Miss: Is L Lysine Good For Genital Herpes
Read Also: Cure For Herpes Hsv 1
Youve Just Had Another Treatment
People often talk about combining skin treatments to get the best results. But if youve just had a chemical peel or microdermabrasion, its best to hold off on considering treatment with lasers. The reason is pretty simple: you dont want to over-exfoliate your skin. After a peel or microdermabrasion, your skin will be fairly delicate for a few days.
Generally speaking, its a good idea to wait at least three months before getting a laser treatment after youve had another type of skin resurfacing treatment. The exact length of time you should wait depends on the depth of the first treatment. In the case of a very superficial peel, you might be ready for another treatment after just a month. But deeper peels usually require at least three months.
Can A Person With Herpes Get Butt Implants And Have A Safe Surgury
My sister have genital herpes and she wants to get butt implants because she don’t have enough fat on her body. I’ve never heard of a person with an permanent STD getting butt implants is it even possible, and if so, is it safe knowing her condition or will it put her at higher risk for infections?
You May Like: Is There Any Treatment For Genital Herpes
Answer: Makes No Differnce
Your herpes will have no effect on your breast augmentation. The stress of the surgery can occasionally cause dormant viruses that make cold sores to arise but even an active outbreack won’t prevent you from having a successful outcome form surgery.
Everything you need to know about Breast Augmentation
High Blood Pressure Or High Cholesterol: Can I Donate
High Blood PressureAs long as your blood pressure is 180/100 or below at the time of donation and you are feeling well, you can donate. Medications for high blood pressure do not disqualify you from donating.
High CholesterolHigh cholesterol levels do not disqualify you from donating. You can also donate if take medication to control your cholesterol.
Oklahoma Blood Institute screens for both of these and notifies donors of their results.
You May Like: How To Relieve Itching From Herpes
Suppressive Therapy For Recurrences
To suppress outbreaks, treatment requires taking pills daily on a long-term basis. Acyclovir and famciclovir are taken twice a day for suppression. Valacyclovir is taken once a day. The doses for these antiviral drugs are reduced in people with impaired renal function.
Suppressive treatment can reduce the frequency of outbreak recurrences by 70% to 80%. It is generally recommended for people who have frequent recurrences . Because herpes recurrences often diminish over time, you should discuss annually with your provider whether you should stay with drug therapy or discontinue it.
There is some evidence that valacyclovir may help prevent herpes transmission, particularly in situations where one heterosexual partner has HSV-2 and the other partner does not. However, this drug does not completely prevent transmission. While taking any suppressive therapy for genital herpes, it is still important to regularly use latex condoms and to avoid any sexual activity during recurrences.
What Should I Expect After The Procedure
Be sure to arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery. You wont be able to operate a vehicle.
Before you leave the healthcare providers office, youll receive instructions about when to return for a follow-up visit and how to change the dressing. Your healthcare provider will prescribe an antiviral and an antibiotic to help you avoid infections. They also may suggest you use a retinoid ointment . This vitamin A treatment can boost skin rejuvenation.
After dermabrasion youll have to do the following to avoid any problems:
- Cleanse your skin several times a day. This will remove the crusting caused by the normal healing process, and help avoid infection.
- Keep the area moist and help the healing process by changing the ointment or dressing regularly.
- Avoid sun exposure.
Youll attend one or more follow-up visits so that your healthcare provider can monitor your condition. They will want to double-check that youre healing that there are no signs of infection.
Don’t Miss: How Often Will Herpes Outbreaks Occur
What Happens During The Procedure
Your skin will be cleansed with an antiseptic and your healthcare provider will give you any or a combination of the following to make you comfortable during the dermabrasion procedure:
- Topical anesthetic gel.
- Local anesthetic injection.
Once the numbing medication has taken effect, your healthcare provider will use a high-speed rotary instrument with an abrasive diamond wheel or wire brush to scrape away the outer layers of skin and reveal the fresh layers underneath. Once the procedure is complete, your healthcare provider will apply a moist dressing to your skin to keep it protected while it heals.
Are There Any Complications That Can Arise With Herpes Simplex
Serious complications rarely occur in healthy people with herpes simplex.
Complications occur most often in unborn babies, newborns, and people who have a long-term illness or weak immune system. If you have cancer or HIV/AIDS, or you have had an organ transplant, seek medical help right away if you have signs or symptoms of a herpes infection.
If the herpes virus spreads to the eye, it can cause an eye infection called herpes keratitis. Pain, light sensitivity, discharge, and a gritty sensation in the eye can occur. Without prompt treatment, scarring of the eye may result, leading to cloudy vision and even loss of vision. Talk with your dermatologist if you are experiencing these eye symptoms.
Also Check: Which Virus Causes Genital Herpes
Are You Able To Take The Appropriate Time Off To Recover
Depending on your procedure, you may need days or even weeks to recover. You will need the time off to recover after your procedure. And it isn’t just the initial aches, pains, and bruising, that you will experience, but after those have faded you may still have restrictions ordered by your plastic surgeon.
If you work, can you afford to take time off of work? This includes stay-at-home moms, as their work is so varied in the course of the day. If you choose to use your vacation time, you have to decide if its really worth exchanging rest and relaxation for recovery time.
Oral Sex Cold Sores & Genital Herpes Infection
Susan Olender, MD, is board-certified in internal medicine. She is an assistant professor at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City, where she is also on staff in the Division of Infectious Disease.
Many people are not aware that cold sores or fever blisters are the symptoms of oral herpes. Nor do they realize that the virus that causes these sores is extremely closely related to the virus that causes genital herpes.
Thats why people with oral herpes often unknowingly transmit their cold sores to their partners genitals during oral sex. Ironically, the person with cold sores may even unfairly blame their partner for getting infected. They may not realize they are the source of their partners infection.
You May Like: Home Remedies For Genital Herpes Outbreaks
Will You Be Able To Hide The Scars
Yes, you should expect scars with plastic surgery! You should know where your scars will be placed. This is especially important if you wear low-cut pants or shirts, bikinis, etc., or if your line of work involves skin exposure .
Dont believe the hype that plastic surgeons perform scarless surgery. Plastic surgeons know where to hide or camouflage scars, and take pride in their incision closures. This is what the patient often uses to define whether or not a procedure is successful. Don’t be afraid to ask about them.
How Can I Manage Herpes During Pregnancy
There is no evidence to suggest pregnancy causes flare-ups. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists says 75% of pregnant women who have herpes, however, can expect to have an outbreak during pregnancy.
During pregnancy, you should watch for symptoms of the virus becoming active, such as tingling, itching, or burning around where the sore will eventually appear.
If you have a history of herpes , your provider may prescribe an antiviral medication such as acyclovir to reduce the risk of spreading the virus or having an outbreak around the time of your delivery.
We typically recommend starting an antiviral at 36 weeks or sooner if you are at risk for preterm birth. The antiviral medications are safe during pregnancy. In fact, we can give the same medications to your baby if needed.
Read Also: Is Apple Cider Vinegar Good For Herpes
How Does A Bullhorn Lip Lift Work
A bullhorn lip lift procedure shortens the space between the upper lip and the nose, pulling the lip upward, so more pink tissue is visible.
While it doesnt physically change the volume or size of the lips, or give that duck-bill look that sometimes occurs from overdone lip augmentation, a lip lift makes it so that more of the upper lip is visible. This makes the mouth look fuller and more pronounced.
After a bullhorn lip lift, your teeth will also be more visible when smiling. If you use your finger to pull your upper lip up slightly, you can approximate what a lip lift might look like.
A bullhorn lip lift is an in-office procedure. You may need to be medically cleared in the weeks before it.
On the day of your procedure, heres what you can expect:
- Youll be given topical or local anesthesia to numb the area.
- Once youre numb and the surgeon has cleaned the area, theyll make an incision from one nostril to the other.
- Theyll then cut the skin and close the area with stitches or sutures.
Preventing The Spread Of Herpes
Even when you do not have sores, you can pass the virus to someone during sexual or other close contact. To protect others:
- Let any sexual partner know that you have herpes before having sex. Allow them to decide what to do.
- Use latex or polyurethane condoms, and avoid sex during symptomatic outbreaks.
- Do not kiss or have oral sex when you have a sore on the lips or inside the mouth.
- Do not share your towels, toothbrush, or lipstick. Make sure dishes and utensils you use are washed well with detergent before others use them.
- Wash your hands well with soap and water after touching a sore.
- Consider using daily antiviral medicine to limit viral shedding and reduce the risk of passing the virus to your partner.
- You may also want to consider getting your partner tested even if they have never had an outbreak. If you both have the herpes virus, there is no risk for transmission.
Recommended Reading: Can You Get Tested For Herpes Without Symptoms