What Foods Trigger Herpes Outbreaks
Should I Supplement Daily With Lysine?What should you do if you have frequent herpes outbreaks?
What foods are high in Lysine?
Most Vegetables and fruits
What foods are high in Arginine?
All nuts and nut products
Dried beans including soybeans and tofu
Protein shakes, multivitamins and body building supplements that contain arginine
The above food recommendations are meant to point you in the right direction towards managing your outbreaks and living a vibrant, healthy life. As discussed, there are many known triggers when it comes to herpes and certain foods. Each person with herpes is unique in their body and what things trigger a herpes outbreak. For those who are sensitive to foods, I highly recommend a Paleo style diet.
Feeling Overwhelmed? Book A Free Call With Dr. Kelly And Reclaim Your Vitality And Joy Today!Feeling Afraid, Guilty, Or Shameful? Allow Me To Support You In Reclaiming Your Power And Joy. Book A Free Coaching Call With Me Today! No Strings Attached!Feeling Overwhelmed? Book A Free Call With Dr. Kelly And Reclaim Your Vitality And Joy Today!
Complementary And Alternative Medicine
Some people use natural therapies to treat herpes, either on their own or to support standard medical care. The research supporting their use is generally weak, with little evidence that they can reduce either the severity or duration of an outbreak. Even so, many people swear by their effectiveness and consider them a vital part of managing herpes outbreaks.
Complementary and alternative therapies sometimes used to treat herpes include:
- Propolis: This is a sticky substance produced by bees that may help speed the healing of genital herpes. A 2017 study found that people who used propolis ointment experienced better healing by the 10th day of treatment compared to those who used a sham ointment.
- Algae extract: Lab studies suggest that algae extract can inhibit the growth of HSV-2 in test tubes. Whether it can do so in humans has yet to be proven.
- Acupuncture: A 2011 study concluded that acupuncture was mildly effective in reducing pain caused by the herpes zoster virus , the type of herpes virus that causes shingles. While this suggests that acupuncture may be useful in easing genital herpes pain, this has yet to be proven.
How Can I Best Learn To Cope With Herpes Simplex
Some people feel distressed or embarrassed about their herpes simplex infection. Its important to understand that the herpes virus is common. For most people, herpes doesnt significantly interfere with daily life.
To cope with negative feelings, you may consider:
- Connecting with others through support groups or online forums.
- Sharing your feelings with a trusted friend or loved one.
- Speaking with a therapist.
Recommended Reading: Herpes Test How Long For Results
Otc Medication For Herpes
When it comes to using medication, prescribed antibiotics can seem very attractive and hard to resist. However, the side effects can often exaggerate the symptoms or cause other problems for the victim.
An alternative to consider if youre needing the strength of medication are over the counter products.
Consider ibuprofen, such as Advil, and acetaminophen, such as Tylenol, to bring down inflammation and reduce the pain.
Always use as directed, and never overdose no matter how tempting it is to pop more to get faster relief it doesnt work that way.
There is one FDA-approved OTC cream called Abreva thats only used for blisters on the face and cold sores around the mouth. It works best when you rub it in to the infected area five times a day every 3-4 hours.
Do not use this cream for longer than directed, and always follow the directions. Orajel ointments can also help with canker sores in the mouth due to herpes by numbing the pain.
This is a great option since you cant put Abreva inside your mouth. Lysine lip balms are excellent products to use for HSV-1 on the lips and around it.
But, when it comes to the Southern region, you need something thats safe to use down there. Consider numbing gels and sprays, such as Bactine. You can also try out local anesthetic ointments, like lidocaine 5 percent ointment.
It does numb the area, but it cant be overstated that you use these OTC products as directed.
Recommended Reading: How To Heal Herpes On Lips Fast
The Best 13 Herpes Supplements Final Thoughts
Even with no current cure for herpes, it is possible to support the immune system and take the right herpes supplements to reduce outbreaks and help the body to reduce the effects that herpes can cause. The right ingredients can make a big difference, and the formulas in this list are perfect examples of some of the easiest ways to take care of the body.
The links contained in this product review may result in a small commission if you opt to purchase the product recommended at no additional cost to you. This goes towards supporting our research and editorial team and please know we only recommend high quality products.
Please understand that any advice or guidelines revealed here are not even remotely a substitute for sound medical advice from a licensed healthcare provider. Make sure to consult with a professional physician before making any purchasing decision if you use medications or have concerns following the review details shared above. Individual results may vary as the statements made regarding these products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The efficacy of these products has not been confirmed by FDA-approved research. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Also Check: Does Herpes Get Better Over Time
How To Cope After Diagnosis
Many posters were occupied with the issue of passing on the infection. Yolandayw points out that you can minimise the risk of transmission by postponing sex until all the sores have healed. She also mentioned that condoms should be used. They won’t completely prevent transmission but they will help.
Ending on a positive note, many posters emphasised that there was light at the end of the tunnel. Learning of the diagnosis may feel stressful at first, but it’s a manageable condition and certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Lucy03934 has had genital herpes for 25 years. She’s been married for 18 years and has two sons – living proof that there is life after herpes.
Are Antiviral Medications Safe
Antiviral medications are considered to be very safe. They are nearly always well tolerated because the active ingredients only have an effect in cells that have been infected by the virus.
People who have kidney failure may need to take a lower dose because the medication is removed from the body through the kidneys.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Herpes Around The Mouth
What Can I Do If I Have Herpes Simplex 2
Many people who find out they have herpes feel depressed knowing they’ll always have the virus and can give it to others. But you arent alone. Herpes is one of the most common STIs, both in the U.S. and worldwide. If you have herpes, you should:
- Learn all you can about it. Information will help you to manage your disease and feel better about yourself.
- Talk about your illness with your doctor.
If you have herpes, you can still:
- Have sex if you use a condom or dental dam , and you tell your partner about your illness. Some couples, who have sexual relations only with each other, may choose not to use condoms even though one partner has herpes. Because each situation is different, you should ask your doctor if this is the right choice for you in your relationship.
- Have children. People with herpes can still give birth to healthy babies. If you have herpes and plan to have children, discuss your illness with your healthcare provider.
If you have herpes, you should also get checked for HIV and other STIs .
Bonus: Top 4 Herpes Remedies Guides And Home Tests For 2021
When taking care of herpes, the magical solution wont just be the right supplement for the body. Other changes might have to be made, which is where these following four guides will come in.
HSV Rapid Remedy: Fight the Herpes Virus
HSV Rapid Remedy provides users with instructions on the best ways to use alternative medicines to deal with herpes. Dr. Christine Buehler is the author. Dr. Buehler says that it is possible to eliminate the herpes virus with these methods, even though the methods wont necessarily work for everyone. Thats why they offer a 60-day money-back guarantee.
The program is designed to work for individuals infected with HSV-1 and HSV-2, and it should take no more than three weeks to work. Plus, theres no medication that users will have to take.
Herpes Cleaner has a recipe that introduces essential and potent ingredients to the body. According to the claims in the guide, the use of the ingredients can put herpes to sleep, which stops additional outbreaks from happening.
The whole program takes 17 days to pursue, but this time should be enough to stop the outbreaks and all of the symptoms that come with it. It will stop cold sores, scars, and painful itching, focusing on supporting the immune system. Users dont have to take any medication with the program, though users that currently have a prescription may want to check with their doctor first.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Herpes Naturally Forever
How Do You Manage Herpes Long
Management with treatment:
- You may need to consider suppression treatment if you experience many outbreaks in a year
- You can buy antiviral creams for cold sores from a pharmacy, but should see your doctor if the sore lasts more than 5-7 days
- For genital herpes treatment, your doctor may refer you to a sexual health clinic
- Treatment of an acute short-term infection is simple and involves taking a course of antiviral tablets. There are different types of antiviral tablets which can be used. Some courses are higher strength and only need to be taken for 1 to 2 days, and some are taken for 5 days. You may need longer treatment if new symptoms develop during treatment or of your treatment doesnt completely heal your symptoms. You should speak to your doctor if this happens
Managing oral herpes :
- avoid direct physical contact with people
- avoid sharing items that can pass the virus on such as cups, cutlery, make up or lip balm. You can still use communal facilities such as showers, toilets or swimming pools.
- dont participate in oral sex or kissing
- wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly after applying antiviral cream or after touching the sore avoid touching the sore unless you need to apply treatment
Managing genital herpes donât have sex during an outbreak of genital herpes or during the initial signs of an outbreak . The following preventative steps will reduce the risk of passing it to partners:
Telling a partner about herpes:
Apply Hot And Cold Treatment
The application of warm and cool temperature on the painful blisters can help provide relief. The gentle heat stimulates blood circulation in the area, reducing inflammation and promoting healing.
Meanwhile, topical cold helps numb the underlying nerve endings to make you feel less pain, but this only lasts a short while. It also helps bring down swelling.
How to use:
- Take warm showers or soak your body in a warm bath like a sitz bath.
- Apply a cold compress over the affected skin for 10 minutes, every few hours. The simplest way to make your own cold compress is by wrapping a few ice cubes in a soft, clean tea towel.
Note: Dont bathe in hot water as that can be too harsh and drying for your skin. Similarly, dont apply ice directly to your skin as it can cause further damage and even lead to frostbite.
You May Like: Is Herpes Part Of Std Testing
How Do You Treat Herpes
Theres no cure for herpes, but prescription medications can ease symptoms, end outbreaks sooner, and lower the chances of passing the virus to other people.
You can also help ease the pain caused by herpes outbreaks by taking a warm bath, wearing loose clothing and putting an ice pack on the sores.
Can Steroids Bring On A Herpes Outbreak
In a new study published in Journal of Virology, a team of researchers at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., found that prednisone, doxorubicin and vincristine, three immunosuppressive chemotherapy drugs also used in managing bone marrow transplants and severe allergies, are capable of activating
Reduced Inflammation And Joint Pain
The GLA found in black currants supports eye health but it also promotes joint health. GLA is a type of omega-6 fatty acid that helps to reduce inflammation in the body, particularly in the joints. As such, black currants may help to reduce joint pain, stiffness, and soreness it may even help to repair joint damage caused by rheumatoid arthritis.
Improved Immunity And Protection From Pathogens
Black currants contain plenty of Vitamin C which is a proven immune booster. In fact, a single cup of these berries provides more than three times your recommended daily dose of this powerhouse vitamin!
In terms of its immune-boosting properties, Vitamin C has been shown to shorten the duration of colds and other respiratory tract infections in addition to protecting against pneumonia, malaria, and others. In fact, a study conducted by the Department of Public Health at the University of Helsinki in Finland determined that increased Vitamin C intake can reduce the incidence of the common cold by 91%.
Not only does Vitamin C boost the immune system, but it acts as an antioxidant to protect your cells against free-radical damage and it fights of numerous pathogens with its antimicrobial properties. These antimicrobial properties are so strong that a Japanese study published in Microbiology and Immunology showed that a black currant extract of just 1% concentration was enough to block several strains of common viruses like influenza and adenovirus.
Don’t Miss: What Can You Do To Treat Herpes
Other Triggers For Genital Herpes Outbreaks
Other triggers of genital herpes may include:
- Sexual intercourse. Some people find that the friction of sexual intercourse irritates the skin and brings on symptoms. Using a water-based lubricant can help reduce irritation. Don’t use one that contains the spermicide nonoxynol-9, however. Nonoxynol-9 can irritate mucous membranes, such as the lining of the . Oil-based lubricants are a no-no, too. They weaken latex, making condoms more likely to break. Even if the friction of intercourse seems to be a trigger for symptoms, it probably won’t cause a flare-up every time you have sex.
- Colds and sunlight. The common cold and sunlight seem to trigger outbreaks of oral herpes , but no proof exists that they trigger genital herpes outbreaks.
- Hormones. Hormonal changes, like those that occur in the menstrual cycle, can affect genital herpes outbreaks. No one knows why.
- Surgery, weak immune system. Trauma to the body, such as having surgery, may make herpes symptoms appear. It’s possible that having a weakened immune system does, too. People whose immune systems are weakened by HIV, for example, tend to have outbreaks more often than people with normal immune functioning.
Remember that triggers may not be the same for everyone, and doctors are not certain how much lifestyle affects outbreaks of herpes symptoms. If you think something in particular triggers symptoms, ask your doctor what you should do about it.
How Is Genital Herpes Spread
If you do not have herpes, you can get infected if you come into contact with the herpes virus in:
- Saliva or genital secretions
- Skin in the oral area if your partner has an oral herpes infection, or skin in the genital area if your partner has a genital herpes infection.
You can get herpes from a sex partner who does not have a visible sore or who may not know he or she is infected. It is also possible to get genital herpes if you receive oral sex from a sex partner who has oral herpes.
You will not get herpes from toilet seats, bedding, or swimming pools, or from touching objects around you such as silverware, soap, or towels. If you have additional questions about how herpes is spread, consider discussing your concerns with a healthcare provider.
You May Like: What Is Herpes Type 2 Picture
Herbs Vitamins And Other Supplements
It isnt always possible to eat foods containing the high levels of nutrients your body needs to fight genital herpes, but herbs, vitamins, and supplements can help. The following choices are known to boost immune system function and help the body combat herpes outbreaks.
Zinc. Chickpeas, pork, lamb, and wheat germ all contain high levels of zinc. Research shows that zinc ions are active against the herpes simplex virus and may even extend the time between outbreaks.
Lysine. Research is still ongoing, but recent reports suggest that daily lysine supplementation may reduce the recurrences of herpes outbreaks. Though lower doses of lysine show little effect, high doses of up to 3,000 mg a day may be beneficial.
Probiotics. Probiotics are well known for their immune-boosting abilities. Now research also shows that certain probiotic strains can limit herpes infections as well.
Vitamin B Complex. The full range of B vitamins serves many critical roles in your body, including healthy cell growth, metabolism, and energy. You need all of these functions in full force to respond to an active outbreak of herpes.
Aloe vera. Aloe vera isnt just for sunburn! Pure aloe vera offers antimicrobial, antifungal, and wound healing properties that soothe herpes symptoms and encourage rapid healing.