What Is Primary Oral Herpes
Primary oral herpes refers to the initial outbreak of symptoms after infection, often presenting with painful sores on the lips, gums, and mouth.
In some people, primary herpes is associated with:
- and sore throat.
These signs and symptoms may last several days. Difficulty in eating and drinking may lead to dehydration. The sores heal completely in 2-6 weeks, usually without scarring. Virus can be recovered from the saliva for days after the lesions heal. Primary herpes usually occurs during childhood.
Not everyone has a severe primary attack when they are first infected with herpes. In most people, the virus infects the body without causing any symptoms. The process generates an antibody response, causing the immune system to produce antibodies against the herpes virus. This antibody response helps reduce recurrences and keep them mild. Antibodies also make it harder for the virus to get a foothold somewhere else in the body. However, it is possible to transfer the herpes virus to other parts of the body .
There are two types of HSV, herpes simplex virus type 1 and type 2.
- In general, HSV-1, also known as herpes labialis or oral herpes, causes infections above the waist, most commonly as cold sores.
- HSV-2 infections occur mainly below the waist, leading to genital herpes.
Recommended Reading: How Fast Can Herpes Be Detected
Antiviral Tablets To Stop The Herpes Virus Multiplying
Antiviral medicines taken by mouth, such as valaciclovir or acyclovir, are the most effective in controlling symptoms, although they cant cure genital herpes. They stop the virus from multiplying in body cells where the virus is present. The medicine only works while you are taking it. The infection can come back when you stop taking it.
Antiviral tablets are used in the following two ways:
- To treat outbreaks as they happen : The aim is to shorten the time each outbreak lasts and to relieve symptoms. This works best when taken as soon as you get symptoms and before the blisters appear.
- To prevent or reduce recurrences : If you get frequent or severe recurrent outbreaks, your doctor may recommend you take antiviral tablets every day to help prevent recurrences. Suppressive therapy is taken continuously, every day, for months or years. Suppressive antiviral therapy may help reduce the risk of transmitting the virus to sexual partners.
Antiviral creams bought over the counter from the pharmacy are not recommended as a treatment for a first episode or recurrent genital herpes as they are of little benefit. Antiviral tablets are the preferred treatment.
How To Treat A Cold Sore With Home Remedies
While prescription and OTC cold sore medication can promote healing and relieve pain, home remedies may also improve your symptoms and possibly reduce the frequency of outbreaks.
These remedies wont fight the virus, but they can help you feel better until a cold sore heals.
To self-treat a cold sore:
- Opt for cool foods that you apply to your mouth area. For example, suck on ice chips or a popsicle to reduce pain in or around the lips.
- Apply a cold or warm compress to painful areas. This can help ease inflammation.
- Avoid trigger foods that may irritate a cold sore. These can include hot beverages, citrus fruits, spicy food, and salty foods.
- Turn to your medicine cabinet. Apply a skin protectant, such as petroleum jelly, to a cold sore and the skin around the sore.
- Wear lip balm with SPF 30 or higher. This protects your lips until a cold sore heals. Applying balm year-round can also help stop recurrent cold sores.
- Tend to your dental health. Use an antiseptic mouthwash when brushing your teeth to relieve pain.
- Drink water. Keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids.
A few alternative therapies might also promote healing and relieve cold sore symptoms, although more research is needed to confirm the effectiveness of these remedies.
For example, applying synthetic beeswax to a cold sore might shorten the duration of an outbreak and get rid of the blister sooner.
You May Like: Can I Get Herpes If My Partner Takes Medication
Stages Of Herpes On Face Cure
The goal of the first stage is to strengthen the patients immune system. Diet plays an important role in this. Thats why the book lists the foods you should eat and those you should avoid during treatment.
Diet is important because if you have herpes, you may be contributing to frequent outbreaks with your diet and lifestyle.
The second stage of the method concentrates on destroying the protective protein layer of the virus so that the immune system, strengthened in the first stage, can eliminate it. This is the most important stage of treatment because its actions eliminate the protection of the virus that prevents its destruction by the cells of the immune system.
The third stage involves actions aimed at preventing the virus from reproducing.
Once the three stages of treatment are over, you will be herpes-free and healthier because your body has also been prepared to fight other diseases that may affect you.
|Stages of The Ultimate Herpes Protocol|
The book in English can be .
If you speak Spanish and are interested in removing the herpes virus from your body quickly and forever, you can by clicking on the link.
If you prefer to read the book in French, you can .
How To Treat The Herpes On Tongue With Echinacea Purpurea
The basic forms of Echinacea are the infusions and the capsules. The dose of the capsules depends on the person, age and body weight. We recommend a dose of 800 mg 2 g per day after the meals and should be taken with abundant water. The time of duration of the treatment should be of seven weeks.
Herpes on tongue treatment with Echinacea should not overcome the recommended dose neither the time required for the achievement of a good effect.
Although the use of Echinacea Purpurea doesnt have noxious side effects, in some people it can cause light digestive problems and nauseas.
Treatment of herpes on tongue using Echinacea doesnt eliminate the virus it only helps to shorten the duration of the outbreaks and the frequency of their appearance.
Read Also: Can Herpes Be One Bump
Is There Herpes On Tongue Cure
Specialists in alternative medicine have advanced in the search for treatments of herpes, and especially herpes caused by type 1 and type 2 viruses. They have been able to provide an answer to the questions: how to cure herpes on tongue? and how to get rid of herpes on tongue fast?
There is an alternative medicine treatment that has had better results, consisting of a protocol created by an experienced British doctor: The Ultimate Herpes Protocol.
This alternative method to cure herpes caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1 and herpes simplex virus type 2 is based on a sequence of three stages, each of which has a specific purpose .
Read Also: What Does Mouth Herpes Look Like
When To See A Doctor
Most of the time, cold sores go away on their own within a couple of weeks. If your cold sore lingers beyond 2 weeks, it might be time to check with your doctor.
If you feel like youre constantly dealing with cold sores several times a year or more thats another good reason to check with your doctor. You may benefit from a prescription-strength antiviral medication.
Other reasons to see your doctor:
- sores near your eyes
- sores that have spread to other parts of your body
If you have eczema, which is also called atopic dermatitis, you may have some cracked or bleeding areas on your skin. If HSV-1 spreads into those openings, it can cause complications.
Read Also: What Antiviral Medication Is Used For Herpes
Don’t Miss: Does Shingrix Help With Herpes Outbreaks
How To Get Rid Of A Herpes Outbreak Fast
How Do You Get Rid of a Herpes Outbreak Fast The most effective treatment method is prescription medication from a doctor. This can be in the form of topical cream or an oral medication. If you suspect you have herpes and would like to speak to a physician and/or get tested and treated online, book an appointment with a PlushCare doctor now.
Recommended Reading: How To Kill Herpes On Surfaces
Symptoms Of A Primary Hsv Infection
For some people infected with HSV, the first infection can cause symptoms. These can include:
- pain inside the mouth and on the gums
- swollen neck glands.
The symptoms can last up to 14 days and may cause dehydration, especially in young children, because it is painful to swallow. Primary infections are more likely to be severe in newborn babies, people with atopic dermatitis and in people whose immune system is suppressed.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Tested For Herpes Simplex 1
Natural Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Cold Sores Fast
- One of the best home remedies for cold sores is applying lysine ointment to the affected area.
- Other effective natural remedies for cold sores include using ice packs, applying lemon balm, and wearing sunscreen.
- There is no cure for cold sores, but most will go away on their own in two to three weeks.
- Visit Insiders Health Reference library for more advice.
Cold sores are a lesion that can appear on and around the mouth. While they arent dangerous, they can be uncomfortable, itchy, and unsightly.
Cold sores usually resolve themselves within a few weeks, but the following home remedies may help you relieve and heal them sooner.
You May Like: What Does Herpes Do To Your Body
Facts And Statistics About Herpes
- According to the World Health Organization, an estimated two-thirds of the global population under 50 years old are infected with herpes simplex virus type 1 .
- Estimates for HSV-1 prevalence in the U.S. among people aged 049 years are 178 million women and 142 million men .
- In total, about 75 percent or more of the American adult population has the HSV-1 virus that usually causes oral herpes , and about 20 percent to 30 percent have HSV-2 that usually causes genital herpes.
- Men and women are affected by HSV-1 about equally. Roughly 6 million women in the U.S. become infected with HSV-1 each year, along with 5 million men.
- Slightly more women than men are affected by genital herpes, whether from HSV-1 or HSV-2. Middle-aged women are most likely to acquire genital herpes.
- Transmission of HSV most often occurs without symptoms, so its estimated that 85 percent of people with genital herpes dont know it. Many dont have any symptoms at all after the initial infection, and only about 15 percent ever receive a HSV-2 infection diagnosis in their lifetimes.
- Most primary oral/facial HSV infections are caused by HSV-1 however, facial infection by HSV-2 is increasingly becoming common.
- Less children are becoming infected with HSV-1 than in the past in high-income countries, mostly due to better hygiene and living conditions.
- After someone comes into contact with an active herpes outbreak on another person, the incubation period takes about one week.
You May Like: Does Lysine Prevent Herpes Outbreaks
What Are The Symptoms Of Cold Sores
Cold sores start with an itchy and tingling sensation usually on the mouth, lips or nose and may form small blisters that crust after 3 days.
Cold sores usually clear up after 2 weeks without leaving any scars. They can be highly contagious, even when the blisters arent present. The virus can spread between people by direct physical contact, such as kissing, skin-to-skin contact and sharing drink containers, eating utensils, towels or toothbrushes with someone who already has a cold sore.
As well as a blister-like spot, the following symptoms are also common:
How To Heal Herpes Sores Faster And Live A Normal Life
You can lead a rich, normal life while living with the herpes simplex virus. Whilst it is quite difficult to get rid of sores quickly, the prevalence of medications, treatments and remedies available today, ensure flare-ups and outbreak effects are reduced. Remember to manage stress levels, maintain a healthy diet, and exercise, in order to slow the progression of herpes. You should always inform sexual partners to help avoid complications further into a relationship.
Living with HSV-1 or HSV-2 should have little bearing on your ability to lead a healthy, productive and enriching existence, thanks to the various treatment options on the market today.
Whilst all of our content is written and reviewed by healthcare professionals, it is not intended to be substituted for or used as medical advice. If you have any questions or concerns about your health, please speak to your doctor.
Don’t Miss: How To Test For Herpes Virus
How Do I Detect A Genital Herpes Outbreak Is Coming
More than half of the patients who experience recurrence of genital outbreaks will experience mild symptoms leading up to the appearance of blisters. This period, marked by tingling, itching or pain in the legs or buttocks is called the Prodrome.
Patients often describe the feeling of a cold or flu coming on as their body attempts to fight back the virus. After several outbreaks, many individuals become confident at identifying these symptoms and are able to take medication during the period which it is most effective.
80% of carriers transmit herpes without knowing it because they are not actively treating the virus with suppressive antiviral medication
Additionally, many individuals who acquire HSV-2 only experience infrequent or mild outbreaks, leading them to believe it is something other than genital herpes. HSV-2 outbreaks are commonly mistaken for genital pimples, razor burn, ingrown hair, or bug bites. Without active antiviral treatment for genital herpes, you can easily transmit the virus during periods where you show no physical symptoms.
Recommended Reading: How To Know If You Have Oral Herpes
Ways To Get Rid Of Herpes On Lip Fast
Herpes is a common disease that occurs due to Herpes simplex virus and can happen to any part of the human body. The most affected part is obviously the lips where HSV 1 and HSV 2 leave its marks. Oral Herpes can be really painful and lead to an excessive infection. It first appears as fluid like blisters and soon creates painful sores all over the lips area.
It can also occur inside the mouth or on gums. We bring some really effective tips that will help all to get rid of herpes on lip fast. All tips are simple and trouble free to apply so to know more go through this article below.
You May Like: How Do You Test For Oral Herpes
What Can I Do If I Have Herpes Simplex 2
Many people who find out they have herpes feel depressed knowing theyll always have the virus and can give it to others. But you arent alone. Herpes is one of the most common STIs, both in the U.S. and worldwide. If you have herpes, you should:
- Learn all you can about it. Information will help you to manage your disease and feel better about yourself.
- Talk about your illness with your doctor.
If you have herpes, you can still:
- Have sex if you use a condom or dental dam , and you tell your partner about your illness. Some couples, who have sexual relations only with each other, may choose not to use condoms even though one partner has herpes. Because each situation is different, you should ask your doctor if this is the right choice for you in your relationship.
- Have children. People with herpes can still give birth to healthy babies. If you have herpes and plan to have children, discuss your illness with your healthcare provider.
If you have herpes, you should also get checked for HIV and other STIs .
Also Check: How To Treat Herpes Outbreak Over The Counter
Cold Sore Home Remedies
When you have a cold sore, you want to act on it quickly. You may end up trying cold sore home remedies that friends, family or health websites recommend but you may find that these arent clinically proven. Some remedies may offer only temporary symptom relief, while others may have the potential to make the cold sore worse. With lots of anecdotal evidence out there, lets unpack what some natural remedies for cold sores can do to help with symptoms, and whether or not they may be effective.
Recommended Reading: Can Herpes Survive In An Alkaline Body
Also Check: How To Know If You Have Mouth Herpes
What Causes Cold Sores On The Lip
Cold sores are caused by the contagious herpes simplex virus , of which there are two types.
HSV-1 is a common and highly contagious virus typically transmitted through skin-to-skin contact involving the mouth like kissing and oral sex while HSV-2 is mostly transmitted through genital-to-genital contact.
Its important to note, however, that you can contract herpes and not have cold sores. In fact, many people dont know they have HSV-1 because theyre asymptomatic.
You may experience recurring outbreaks of cold sores when you first contract the virus. This is when youre most contagious, especially when blisters are oozing fluid. However, these outbreaks often .
After a while, cold sores typically only show up when triggered. Here are some common triggers for cold sore outbreaks, according to Purdy:
- Viral infection, like the common cold or flu
- Sunburn on the lips, or exposure to strong sunlight
- Chapped, cracked skin on or around the lips
- Using harsh, irritating skin or cosmetic products around the lips that disrupt the skin barrier
Everyone who has the herpes virus is different, and some people may simply be more prone to frequent outbreaks, says Purdy.
Herpes Simplex Virus Overview
Herpes is caused by the herpes simplex virus . It takes in two forms, including oral herpes and genital herpes. Both forms of herpes can have some similarities- they all cause sores on the affected skin. But each form can result from a different type of HSV.
Oral herpes is caused by HSV-1. It is responsible for sores in or around the mouth. Many people refer them to as cold sores or fever blisters.
These sores can look like pimples or acne. They are painful, small or red and can fill with clear liquid. Often, they can go along with other symptoms, like pain, itching or burning in the affected skin. If youre first infected with herpes, you may experience flu-like symptoms. These includes fever, headache, body aches, and swollen lymph nodes.
After a few days, the sores will break open, ooze fluid, dry, turn into scabs and heal. After healing, the virus lies dormant and wait to cause a new outbreak. Recurrent outbreaks of herpes tend to be less severe and they can go away quicker.
To treat herpes, you can use ProsurX cream. It is known to offer many benefits for herpes patients:
You May Like: How Soon Can You Tell If You Have Herpes
Don’t Miss: How Much L Lysine To Take For Herpes Outbreak