Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1
Herpes simplex virus type 1 is the
vast majority of HSV-1 cases affect the mouth and its surrounding area. However, it is possible for HSV-1 to affect other areas of the body, such as the genitals.
HSV-1 often develops during childhood and is a lifelong condition. It can spread through non-sexual contact with saliva, such as kissing.
Tea Tree Oil And Vitamin E Capsules
Tea tree oil has many uses in the world of home remedies. Apply it directly to genital herpes sores to speed healing. Vitamin E is used frequently as a healing oil. Capsules can be broken open and the oil applied to genital herpes sores. Use an eye dropper to apply both liquids. These natural remedies are both very soothing. We have provided you detail about Relieve Pain if you want to explore your knowledge, look at more info.
IceIce provides pain relief for many injuries and conditions and is very helpful in relieving the discomfort of genital herpes. Apply an ice pack for ten minutes, give a five minute rest period and reapply. The ice pack has a cooling effect and reduces any pain, itching and swelling. For discretion at the office, try slipping an ice pack under your chair cushion.
Salt water, oatmeal and baking sodaTry this soak in the morning before heading to work to keep discomfort at bay. It may seem that salt would irritate genital herpes sores but many patients report the opposite is true. Dissolve ½ cup of any of these home remedies in bath water for a relieving soak. Do not scrub the sores, just let the home remedies do their job.
Please note: The author is not a licensed medical professional. See your physician for diagnoses and treatment of disease.
Herpes Virus Gives Man A Blistery Finger Infection
A man with a red and blistered pinky finger got an unexpected diagnosis from his doctor: His finger infection wasnt caused by bacteria, but rather by the herpes virus, which usually affects the genitals or causes cold sores around the mouth, according to a new case report.
In rare cases, including in this 23-year-old man, the herpes virus can cause a condition called herpetic whitlow, the report stated. A whitlow is an infection of the fingertip, and there are several types herpetic whitlow strikes about 2.5 per 100,000 people each year.
The infection poses a serious risk. If left untreated, or if treated improperly, it can lead to complications such as herpetic encephalitis, which is a herpes infection of the brain, according to the report, published May 23 in Journal of Medical Case Reports.
Most whitlow is caused by bacterium, but in rare cases it can be caused by other pathogens, such as herpes, said the lead author of the case report, Dr. Peter Gathier, an emergency physician at Beatrixziekenhuis, a hospital in the Netherlands.
It is important for physicians to be aware of this, as both entities require a different treatment, Gathier told Live Science in an email.
Whitlow generally starts around the fingernail and then spreads to the rest of the finger. The infection takes root when there is a wound in the finger, allowing a pathogen to enter and multiply.
Recommended Reading: Can Herpes Heal Without Medicine
You May Like: How Do People Get Herpes
If You Have Genital Herpes Already Can It Be Spread To Other Parts Of The Body Such As The Arms Or Legs
No. Genital herpes cannot be transmitted to another part of your body such as your arm, leg or hand after the first infection occurs. If you have genital HSV II, you will not get HSV II at another site in your body. The immune system produces antibodies that protect other parts of your body from infection. However, there are cases where a person has multiple site infections from the same virus. This is usually acquired at the time of the first infection. For example, if someone has never had herpes but then has oral and genital sex with an infected partner, they can acquire the infection at both sites.
How Do You Get Rid Of A Cold Sore
Although it may take a while to get rid of a cold sore, some medicines can shorten the healing time and make the symptoms less painful. Cold sore treatments include:
- Over-the-counter medications: You can buy without a prescription creams or ointments that you apply directly to the cold sore. If you start using these creams when you first notice tingling or itching before the cold sore forms you may be able to prevent the cold sore from appearing.
- Oral antiviral medicine: Your doctor may prescribe an antiviral medication that you take orally .
- Intravenous antiviral medicine: If other medications arent working, your doctor may need to prescribe an antiviral medication that will be administered through an IV. In this case, your doctor will monitor you closely throughout treatment.
Don’t Miss: Why Do I Get Herpes Outbreaks
Cold Compress And Ice Cubes
The first way to soothe and reduce lip swelling is to apply a cold compress using ice cubes or cold spoons placed in a freezer. You need to wrap your ice cubes in a clean washcloth or a paper towel and gently apply it on the affected area. Do this for about 10-15 minutes followed by a break of 10-15 minutes before repeating again until the swelling begins to reduce. Avoid using ice cubes directly on your lips since they can cause lip tissue damage.
This simple home remedy for swelling in lips is very effective for most lip swelling causes including swelling from a punch, burning, trauma, kissing, cold sores , canker sores, insect bites, etc. since it will soothe the affected area and bring down the swelling.
Treating Your Nodes With Natural Remedies
You May Like: Where To Get Blood Test For Herpes
How To Reduce Cold Sore Swelling & Pain At Home Fast
Cold sores hurt even more when theyre swollen. From when they first erupt to the time they form a nasty scab, theyre uncomfortable and unattractive. But there are ways to lessen the pain and reduce the time they take to heal. You understandably want to know how to reduce cold sore swelling overnight so that you can look better and feel more confident.
Cold sores start to fill up with a clear liquid, so theyre going to grow bigger. The problem is exacerbated by infection and irritation, which causes cold sores to swell up further. Youll likely notice that the skin around the cold sores turns a pinky-red and becomes painful to touch.
Although swelling makes cold sores more noticeable, you shouldnt try to cover them up with makeup. That will only cause them to look worse, as the makeup will start to crack. It wont allow the cold sore to breathe, and this will lengthen the time it takes to heal. If you do want to hide the swelling, you can do so with the Compeed Invisible Cold Sore Patch. This will treat the cold sores, as well as hiding them from staring glances.
In this article, we will let you know how to heal a swollen cold sore. Well look at the best over-the-counter cold sore medicines and some 100% natural treatments. While theres no current cure available, youll find out ways of reducing the swelling so that you can recover in just 3 days.
Also Check: How To Take Valacyclovir For Genital Herpes
How To Treat Cold Sores
There are many that you can do at home to soothe the sting of a cold sore, such as:
Ice. You can numb the pain if you apply a cold compress to the sore. Donât put ice directly on your skin — that could damage it.
Pain relievers. When a cold sore really stings, you may get some relief from an over-the-counter painkiller like acetaminophen.
Over-the-counter creams. There are products available at the drugstore that can help reduce the pain of a cold sore or help keep the skin soft while it heals.
Prescription drugs. Because cold sores are caused by a virus, doctors may suggest an antiviral medication to help you heal more quickly. The antiviral drugs used to treat cold sores include acyclovir , valacyclovir , famciclovir , and penciclovir .
Aloe vera gel. The same gel used for sunburn may help a cold sore to heal. Lab research has shown the gel may help fight viruses, including herpes simplex.
Lysine. This supplement may be used sometimes to treat cold sores. It comes in a cream or in capsule form.
Propolis. This is a resin-like material made by bees from the buds of poplar and cone-bearing trees. It may be used like an ointment to treat cold sores.
Lemon balm. Some research has shown that lemon balm extract can help cold sores get better, too.
Tea tree oil. Some research has shown that this strong-smelling oil helps a cold sore heal more quickly.
Recommended Reading: How Long Is Herpes Contagious
Recurrent Episodes Of Genital Herpes
Recurrences are usually less painful and shorter in duration than the first episode of genital herpes. Over time, episodes usually become less frequent and may eventually stop altogether. Infections caused by HSV1 are less likely to recur in the genital area than infections caused by HSV2.
Recurrences may be triggered by:
- no apparent reason noted.
Treating Lip Swelling Form Oral Herpes
Lip swelling and blisters from oral herpes or cold sores will typically disappear after 7-14 days. However, you can use cold compress to reduce the swelling as well as apply some Vaseline jelly to keep the area moisturized and reduce swelling too.
To get rid of swelling in your lips from blisters, go for some of the over the counter medication or ask your doctor to prescribe antiviral oral medications as well as some tropical creams and ointments to deal with this problem.
Don’t Miss: Can You Pass Herpes Without An Outbreak
What You Can Do
In most cases, you wont need treatment. Use an over-the-counter pain reliever until the swelling and sensitivity ends.
If youve experienced sexual assault or were forced into any sexual activity, you should seek care from a trained healthcare provider. Organizations like the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network offer support for survivors of rape or sexual assault. You can call RAINNs 24/7 national sexual assault hotline at 800-656-4673 for anonymous, confidential help.
Can Herpes Simplex Be Cured
Symptoms clear in 7-10 days, with or without treatment, though the virus will remain in a dormant state in the body. In a majority of patients, recurrent symptoms are mild and infrequent, or do not happen at all. For a minority, troublesome recurrences can usually be prevented by using oral anti-viral drugs or adopting lifestyle changes.
Factors that may increase the risk of virus reactivation are:
- Other infections, such as colds or flu.
- Getting tired and run down.
- Sunlight on the affected area.
A skin injury, such as an operation or a graze, at the place where the virus shows itself at the surface.
Also Check: What If My Partner Has Herpes
Symptoms Of Genital Herpes In Females
Getting a menstrual period can cause an outbreak of genital herpes.
Also, a person may mistake the symptoms of genital herpes for those of a yeast infection or bladder infection.
Genital herpes can spread in the following ways:
- receiving oral sex from a partner with a cold sore
- touching a herpes sore, then touching the genitals
- a baby can contract genital herpes during birth if the mother has the virus
People can sexually transmit the virus even if they have no visible symptoms.
It is not possible to contract genital herpes from toilet seats, bedding, swimming pools, or touching other objects. The virus can only spread from human-to-human contact.
Can You Get Herpes From Kissing
- Herpes pregnancy in fact, only 9% of the subtype of your doctor tells the only.
- Review of immunocompromised people have much as paracetamol, or cured. Kos 69,70 mckrae as fetal lung cancer.
- Herpes blister kb for immunocompromised host. The pathophysiology of participants treated by which.
- Caused by recipients who were available. Other points out by agarose gel 1% nnth 100, 300, 1,000, and safety experienceexternal icon.
- Herpes pregnancy on the existing account the disease is not treated, but did not be a corneal.
- Cream 5 has the outbreak investigations, which is likely to learn info.
Read Also: How Do You Get Tested For Herpes Simplex 1
Complementary And Alternative Medicine
Some people use natural therapies to treat herpes, either on their own or to support standard medical care. The research supporting their use is generally weak, with little evidence that they can reduce either the severity or duration of an outbreak. Even so, many people swear by their effectiveness and consider them a vital part of managing herpes outbreaks.
Complementary and alternative therapies sometimes used to treat herpes include:
- Propolis: This is a sticky substance produced by bees that may help speed the healing of genital herpes. A 2017 study found that people who used propolis ointment experienced better healing by the 10th day of treatment compared to those who used a sham ointment.
- Algae extract: Lab studies suggest that algae extract can inhibit the growth of HSV-2 in test tubes. Whether it can do so in humans has yet to be proven.
- Acupuncture: A 2011 study concluded that acupuncture was mildly effective in reducing pain caused by the herpes zoster virus , the type of herpes virus that causes shingles. While this suggests that acupuncture may be useful in easing genital herpes pain, this has yet to be proven.
How Is It Diagnosed
Diagnosis usually involves observation of your oral condition or laboratory tests. Your doctor may look around the mouth or inside to look for typical signs. If he or she is not satisfied, you may be asked to get to the lab for tests which may include viral culture, DNA test or Tzanck test.
Patients who suspect have the cold sore on their lips should see a doctor.
Don’t Miss: How Are You Tested For Herpes
Home Remedies For Genital Herpes
In addition to medication treatment, there are many natural remedies that effectively soothe herpes sores quickly. An infected individual may be able to reduce inflammation, irritation and other symptoms by implementing a mix of the following solutions.
- Hot compressThe application of a warm compress may be helpful as soon as a sore is detected. In the event of a fully-formed sore, heat may help to minimise pain and reduce itching.
- Cold compressEffective in reducing swelling, an ice pack or clean, soft washcloth filled with ice applied to the affected area can relieve discomfort, although ice should never be directly applied to herpes blisters, bumps or ulcers.
- Vaseline or petroleum jellyAlthough Vaseline can ease the pain associated with crusting sores, it should be noted that herpes thrives in moist areas, and so applications should be sporadic and only in cases of extreme sensitivity. If possible, it is recommended to let the sores dry out on their own.
- SudocreamAn antiseptic healing lotion, Sudocream helps to heal sores by forming a protective layer over the vulnerable area. Sudocream helps reduce the risk of infection and contains a mild local anaesthetic to soothe discomfort.
How Do You Avoid Getting Or Passing On Genital Herpes
If either you or your partner has a herpes outbreak , its best to wait until the symptoms have cleared up before having sex.
Herpes can also be transmitted by sharing sex toys. To reduce your risk, either avoid sharing your sex toys or make sure that they are washed and covered with a new condom between each use.
Use a new dental dam or latex gloves for rimming and fingering or use latex gloves for fisting, especially if you get herpes on your hands.
Talking about your sexual health with your partners, and letting each other know about any infections that you have, can help you make decisions about safer sex together. Reducing your number of sexual partners can help you reduce your risk of getting sexually transmitted infections, like genital herpes. If you are having sex with multiple partners, its even more important to use condoms and to have regular STI checks.
Also Check: Can Herpes Virus Cause Nerve Pain