How Is Herpes Simplex Treated
Some people have few to no herpes outbreaks and choose not to have treatment. But many people prefer to use medications that shorten outbreaks and reduce symptoms.
During an outbreak, you may use an antiviral ointment or cream to help lessen your symptoms and help them go away faster, but it only works if you start it soon after you start an outbreak. Many people with HSV-2 take daily oral medications to keep outbreaks at bay.
Your provider may prescribe a topical medication or oral medication such as:
Coconut Oil For Genital Herpes
Besides being great for cooking, coconut oil can provide some significant health benefits. In some cultures, the coconut tree is even referred to as the tree of life. Clinical studies on coconut oil and its components have even backed some of these benefits:
Not enough evidence exists yet on coconut oil for genital herpes to prove that it directly treats herpes lesions however, its many beneficial qualities may soothe irritated skin around outbreaks and moisturize dry herpes scabs.
Monolaurin, a coconut-oil-derived fatty acid, has also shown some promise as a natural treatment for genital herpes.
A Quick Look At The 6 Best At
- Best herpestest subscription:LetsGetChecked
- Best STI panel test for herpes:Everlywell
- Best convenient herpestest:MyLAB Box
- Best affordable herpes test:HealthLabs
- Best test for early herpes detection:Priority STD
- Best herpes test for quick results: STDcheck
MNT chooses at-home tests that meet the following criteria where possible:
- Laboratories: Where possible, MNT will choose companies that process test samples in labs. This means they follow state and federal regulations.
- Budget: MNT chooses at-home tests that suit a wide range of budgets.
- Privacy: MNT includes companies that offer robust and transparent privacy measures, such as data protection and discreet packaging.
- Test result speed: MNT selects companies that inform customers when they will receive their test results and whether they will receive them via email, app, or phone.
- Further support: MNT will indicate whether a company offers further support, such as a follow-up phone consultation with a doctor to discuss test results.
Please note that the writer of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based and correct at the time of publication.
Medical News Today follows a strict product selection and vetting process. Learn more here.
Also Check: How To Treat Herpes Without Medication
Licorice Root For Herpes
What You Have To Do
How Often You Need To Do This
Repeat this every few hours.
Why This Works
Domeboro powder is a commonly used astringent in hospitals, especially for ulcers, sores, and lesions. It also relieves the pain and itchiness .
Let us now take a look at a few frequently asked questions regarding herpes.
How To Get Rid Of Herpes The Conventional Way
For most people with herpes, the virus typically represents nothing more than an inconvenience however, the real risk is for immuno-compromised patients who cant easily manage infections. In these patients, such as those with HIV/AIDS, herpes simplex infection is associated with increased morbidity and mortality.
As of 2017, there is not currently a herpes vaccine available to prevent HSV-1 or HSV-2.
Doctors sometimes prescribe medications to help keep the herpes virus suppressed or to speed up healing of cold sores by reducing bacteria that can cause infections. Some medications that are now used to control herpes include:
- Nucleoside analogues and antiviral medications
- Creams/ointment to help lower pain and inflammation near the site of sores
- Over-the-counter painkillers to reduce aches, tenderness or fever
However, its important to understand that even with early detection and prescription medications, either form of the herpes virus cannot be totally cured so transmission is always still possible. Medications for viruses dont always work long term and are not a cure-all.
Recommended Reading: Can You Donate Blood If You Have Genital Herpes
Know What Triggers An Outbreak
Cold sores are an outbreak of the herpes simplex virus and learning what most often triggers your outbreak can help reduce how long they last and how severe they are. Common triggers include emotional stress, exhaustion, a weakened immune system , infections, hormonal changes, and exposure to ultra-violet radiation .
Recommended Reading: Can Abreva Help Genital Herpes
How To Treat Genital Herpes Rash And Genital Herpes Sores By Epsom Salt Bath
Epsom salt bath is the most effective natural treatment of genital herpes sores, rashes, and blisters.
How to use?
- Add a few tablespoons of Epsom salt to a bathtub filled with hot water
- Soak yourself in the Epsom salt bath water twice a day for genital herpes to heal
Benefits of using Epsom salt
Epsom salt works on the alleviation of pain and inflammation and helps in the natural treatment of rashes.
Also Check: How To Treat Herpes 1
What Prescription Drugs Treat Cold Sores
Prescription-strength topical medications: Treatment with topical acyclovir or penciclovir will reduce healing time by approximately half a day and decrease pain associated with the lesion. Topical treatment is limited in its effectiveness because it has poor penetration to the site of replication of the virus and therefore is restricted in its healing ability. Acyclovir cream should be applied five times per day for 4 days, and penciclovir cream should be applied every two hours while awake for 4 days. A cream containing 5% acyclovir and a topical steroid called Xerese is also available.
Treatment for the first outbreak of oral herpes in an otherwise healthy person may include:
- Acyclovir, 400 mg orally three times a day for 10 days or until the lesions have crusted
- Valacyclovir, 2,000 mg orally every 12 hours for 1 day
- Famciclovir, 250 mg orally three times a day for 7-10 days
- Treatment doses for recurrent oral herpes are as follows:
- Acyclovir, 400 mg orally three times a day for 5 days: It may also be given as 800 mg orally twice a day for 5 days or 800 mg three times a day for 2 days.
- Valacyclovir, 2,000 mg orally every 12 hours for 1 day
- Famciclovir, 1,500 mg orally once
- Suppressive treatment for those with frequent outbreaks may be given for 12 months, but it may be extended if needed:
- Acyclovir, 400 mg orally twice a day
- Valacyclovir, 500 mg orally once a day
- Famciclovir, 250 mg orally twice a day
What Happens If You Take The Wrong Probiotics
Iâll also show you the only probiotics you really need to keep in your medicine cabinet.
Probiotics are microorganisms that live inside your gut and influence your metabolism and overall health.
They can even trigger allergies. Their effects are so widespread that you donât want to have the wrong probiotics and risk messing up your gut flora. I personally know people who gained a lot of weight taking bad probiotics.
A good probiotic, on the other hand, can make all the difference: It can improve your digestion, help you get rid of gas, absorb the maximum amount of good nutrients from the food you eat, and take care of both diarrhea and constipation.
Don’t Miss: Can You Kiss Someone With Herpes And Not Get It
What Happens If You Dont Get Herpes Treatment
The good news about herpes is that its not deadly or even very dangerous. It might be annoying, but herpes doesnt get worse over time or cause serious health problems like other STDs can.
If you dont get treated for herpes, you might keep having regular outbreaks, or they could only happen rarely. Some people naturally stop getting outbreaks after a while.
There are a few reasons people may decide not to get treatment. They might not have that many outbreaks, or their outbreaks dont really bother them. Or maybe theyre not having sex, so theyre not that worried about having herpes right now. Whatever your situation is, getting treatment for herpes is your choice.
Having herpes can make it easier to get HIV, because the sores give HIV an open pathway into your body. So always use condoms to help prevent the spread of both herpes and HIV.
Read Also: What Cream Can You Use For Herpes
Interesting Home Remedies From Our Grandparents That Could Help You
Youâll also rediscover 40 home remedies our grandparents taught us that doctors still use or prescribe. These have once again become very important for people who like try a more natural approach. For example, you can tackle some headaches using a potato, deal with bug bites using toothpaste, lower fever with vinegar, detox over night sleeping with half an onion in socks, make cough syrup from black radish, and many others.
Also Check: Frequent Outbreaks Of Genital Herpes
How To Treat Herpes
This article was medically reviewed by Luba Lee, FNP-BC, MS. Luba Lee, FNP-BC is a board certified Family Nurse Practitioner and educator in Tennessee with over a decade of clinical experience. Luba has certifications in Pediatric Advanced Life Support , Emergency Medicine, Advanced Cardiac Life Support , Team Building, and Critical Care Nursing. She received her Master of Science in Nursing from the University of Tennessee in 2006.There are 13 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. In this case, several readers have written to tell us that this article was helpful to them, earning it our reader-approved status. This article has been viewed 1,634,244 times.
Herpes is an outbreak of painful, itchy blisters caused by a viral infection. While there is no cure for herpes, antiviral medications can relieve symptoms and shorten an outbreak’s duration. There are also steps you can take on your own to ease your discomfort. To reduce the risk of subsequent outbreaks, maintain a healthy diet, get 7 to 9 hours of sleep nightly, and try to keep your stress levels in check.
The Early Warning Signs Of Genital Herpes
Once you learn to identify the early warning signs of a genital herpes outbreak, you can take action to avoid the worst outbreak symptoms.
The most common sign of genital herpes is the development of blisters around the genital area. Herpes simplex blisters are often itchy and painful.
Other symptoms may accompany the blisters to indicate early warning signs of genital herpes:
- -Difficult or painful urination
Recommended Reading: Does Urgent Care Do Herpes Testing
Complementary And Alternative Medicine
Some people use natural therapies to treat herpes, either on their own or to support standard medical care. The research supporting their use is generally weak, with little evidence that they can reduce either the severity or duration of an outbreak. Even so, many people swear by their effectiveness and consider them a vital part of managing herpes outbreaks.
Complementary and alternative therapies sometimes used to treat herpes include:
- Propolis: This is a sticky substance produced by bees that may help speed the healing of genital herpes. A 2017 study found that people who used propolis ointment experienced better healing by the 10th day of treatment compared to those who used a sham ointment.
- Algae extract: Lab studies suggest that algae extract can inhibit the growth of HSV-2 in test tubes. Whether it can do so in humans has yet to be proven.
- Acupuncture: A 2011 study concluded that acupuncture was mildly effective in reducing pain caused by the herpes zoster virus , the type of herpes virus that causes shingles. While this suggests that acupuncture may be useful in easing genital herpes pain, this has yet to be proven.
How To Get Rid Of Herpes Symptoms Naturally
By Joe Boland
Herpes is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases , prompting many to wonder how to get rid of herpes naturally.
The herpes virus can live dormant inside a persons immune system for a lifetime, periodically causing blisters that burst and turn into open cold sores or ulcers before healing. When left alone, herpes cold sores usually last about 1014 days and are uncomfortable for a variety of reasons causing redness, pain, burning and often embarrassment.
Many people wonder if there is a natural cure for herpes or are looking for ways on how to get rid of herpes for good. While technically the virus that causes herpes is not curable, there are many natural herpes remedies that can put herpes into remission. In fact, many people with herpes dont experience any symptoms at all, especially long term, once they learn to manage triggers of outbreaks. So while theres no guide for how to get rid of herpes naturally, there is a method for how to get rid of herpes symptoms the natural way and keep breakouts at bay.
Don’t Miss: Why Is My Herpes Flaring Up
Cold Sores On Lips Vs Angular Cheilitis
These two are:
Cold sores or herpes labialis
img source: prod-carehubs.net
What causes cold sores or fever blisters? They are caused mainly by the herpes simplex virus type 1 .
Symptoms of HSV-1 on lips usually start with a burning, itchiness and tingling or tautness on lips or around the mouth. Due to irritation, the area is likely to turn red and small blister or tiny clusters of blisters that itch.
How long do cold sores last? They usually heal after a period of 2 to 3 weeks from infection time or when transmission of the HSV -1 virus occurs.
The symptoms will tend to vary with each stage of herpes simplex on lips. For instance, if individuals show the early signs of fever blisters during the first episode, they usually develop fever or illness depending on how severe the infection is.
If you have recurring fever blisters or cold sore symptoms, the following may be responsible for the activation of the virus after initial breakouts on your lips or face.
- Medical conditions like anemia, and Down syndrome
- Overactive salivary glands or if your mouth holds a lot of saliva
However, angular cheilitis is not a symptom of HIV since it is due to the compromised immune system that puts one at risk of it. Angular cheilitis can also last for days or possibly years.
Angular cheilitis symptoms
Like cold sores on lips, AC can also be symptomized by blistering, redness and swelling on the mouth corners.
Treatment For Genital Warts
It is possible to have a genital wart and not be aware of its presence. Most of the times, these warts clear up on their own. Due to the risk of transmission and cancerous growth that it entails, visible genital warts should be treated appropriately. Visible genital warts can be treated by the following methods and procedures:
- Topical treatment: This is the direct application of a chemical agent in the form of a cream, lotion, or liquid on warts until warts wear off. It is a time-consuming process.
- Surgical therapy: This procedure involves excising the wart by using different techniques, namely, cryotherapy, surgical excision, electrocoagulation, and laser treatment. There are chances of recurrence in surgical therapies.
Also Check: How Do You Get Herpes 2
What Are The Signs Of Herpes In Children
The herpes virus can be spread to babies and children if they are kissed by someone that is infected and has active cold sores. Although rare, it is also possible to spread herpes to a child or infant by touch if a person touches their cold sore and then touches the baby or child.
Precautions can be taken to protect infants and other children from getting the virus. Avoid kissing children if you have a cold sore and ask other people not to as well. Wash your hands frequently if you have a cold sore and you are around children.
Can I Treat Herpes Simplex At Home
Avoiding known triggers, such as illness or stress, can help reduce how often you have herpes outbreaks.
How can I ease my symptoms during an outbreak of HSV-1 ?
- Over-the-counter creams such as L-lysine, benzocaine or docosanol .
- Applying ice to blisters or sores.
How can I ease my symptoms during an outbreak of HSV-2 ?
- Apply an ice pack to your genitals. Wrap the ice pack in a washcloth or apply it over your underwear.
- Keep your genitals dry. Wear cotton or other nonsynthetic underpants and avoid tight-fitting clothes. Moist sores take longer to heal.
- Soak in a warm bath.
- Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve pain.
- Topical 1% or 2% lidocaine may be used as a topical analgesic.
You May Like: How Soon Can You Get Tested For Herpes
How Can I Reduce My Risk Of Herpes Simplex
You can reduce your risk of contracting HSV-1 by avoiding physical contact with someone who has a cold sore. People can still spread HSV-1 when cold sores arent present, but its less likely.
If someone has an active HSV-1 infection, avoid:
- Sharing utensils, cups, lip balms or other personal care products.
- Touching the skin near their mouth.
If youre sexually active, you can take these steps to protect yourself and others from the herpes virus and other STIs:
- Be monogamous with one sexual partner or limit your number of partners.
- Get tested for STIs and complete any prescribed treatment.
- Tell your sexual partners if you have genital herpes so they can get tested.
- Use condoms during intercourse and dental dams during oral sex.
Wash your hands often if you have an outbreak or are around someone with symptoms.
If your sexual partner has genital herpes, these actions can lower your risk of getting the virus:
- Dont have sex when your partner has active symptoms. Condoms may not cover all sores, so you may still get the virus.
- Make sure your partner takes antiviral medication as prescribed.
- Wait to have sex until scabs fall off active lesions.