Upgrade Your Eating Habits
Are you eating a standard American diet, or SAD? That means eating lots of meat, fast foods, and processed foods and few fresh fruits and vegetables. Such habits not only work against living comfortably with herpes, they also raise your risk for many diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Consider upgrading your eating habits through a few, not-so-hard-to-make changes.
Eat more veggies. Try to prepare home-cooked food more often. Eat until you are satisfied, not stuffed, says LeeAnn Weintraub, RD, MPH, a registered dietitian based in Los Angeles. She considers these three tips to be the first steps anyone who wants to eat more healthfully should follow.
When To Get Tested
Consult a doctor about any of the following symptoms:
- tingling or itching around the genitals
- pain when peeing
- unusual vaginal discharge
The World Health Organization describes the risk of the herpes virus passing to a newborn during childbirth. Although this is rare, people who are pregnant and have herpes should let their doctors know.
Using a condom or another barrier method of protection during sex reduces the risk of the virus transmitting. It is also a good idea to avoid sharing sex toys with someone who has herpes.
Several online companies offer STI testing kits, including:
- EverlyWell: This company sells tests for chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, and HIV.
- LetsGetChecked: This company sells tests for several common STIs, and it provides prescriptions at no extra cost if a test result is positive.
- PriortitySTD: This company returns results within 3 days.
Anyone with a positive test result should contact a healthcare professional.
Recommended Reading: What Can You Do To Treat Herpes
How To Heal Herpes Sores Faster And Live A Normal Life
You can lead a rich, normal life while living with the herpes simplex virus. Whilst it is quite difficult to get rid of sores quickly, the prevalence of medications, treatments and remedies available today, ensure flare-ups and outbreak effects are reduced. Remember to manage stress levels, maintain a healthy diet, and exercise, in order to slow the progression of herpes. You should always inform sexual partners to help avoid complications further into a relationship.
Living with HSV-1 or HSV-2 should have little bearing on your ability to lead a healthy, productive and enriching existence, thanks to the various treatment options on the market today.
Whilst all of our content is written and reviewed by healthcare professionals, it is not intended to be substituted for or used as medical advice. If you have any questions or concerns about your health, please speak to your doctor.
Read Also: Is Hpv The Same As Herpes
What Can I Do If I Have Herpes Simplex 2
Many people who find out they have herpes feel depressed knowing theyll always have the virus and can give it to others. But you arent alone. Herpes is one of the most common STIs, both in the U.S. and worldwide. If you have herpes, you should:
- Learn all you can about it. Information will help you to manage your disease and feel better about yourself.
- Talk about your illness with your doctor.
If you have herpes, you can still:
- Have sex if you use a condom or dental dam , and you tell your partner about your illness. Some couples, who have sexual relations only with each other, may choose not to use condoms even though one partner has herpes. Because each situation is different, you should ask your doctor if this is the right choice for you in your relationship.
- Have children. People with herpes can still give birth to healthy babies. If you have herpes and plan to have children, discuss your illness with your healthcare provider.
If you have herpes, you should also get checked for HIV and other STIs .
How Is Herpes Treated
There is no cure for the herpes simplex virus. The blisters usually heal and go by themselves, so you may not always need treatment. If treatment is needed, there are antiviral medicines which can help. These can shorten outbreaks, relieve discomfort and stop symptoms from getting worse.
The antiviral treatment is most effective when you take it within the first five days of symptoms appearing. Avoid touching the blisters as this can spread the infection. If treatment requires you to apply cream to a sore, gently pat the cream on, being careful not to rub around the surrounding area.
You can ease your symptoms by:
keeping the affected area clean using plain or salt water to prevent blisters or ulcers from becoming infected
applying petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline, to any blisters or ulcers to reduce pain when passing urine
asking a healthcare provider to recommend painkilling creams
avoiding tight clothing because it may irritate the blisters and ulcers.
Donât have sex until you or your partner have finished your treatment, and the blisters or ulcers have gone. Recurrent outbreaks are usually milder than the first episode of genital herpes and over time they tend to occur less often.
You May Like: How To Date When You Have Herpes
Is There A Cure Or Treatment For Genital Herpes
There is no cure for genital herpes. However, daily use of antiviral medicines can prevent or shorten outbreaks. Antiviral medicines also can reduce the chance of spreading it to others.
Though several clinical trials have tested vaccines against genital herpes, there is no vaccine currently available to prevent infection. One vaccine trial showed efficacy among women whose partners had HSV-2, but only among women not infected with HSV-1. Efficacy was not observed among men whose partners had HSV-2. Another trial testing the same vaccine showed some protection from genital HSV-1 infection, but none from HSV-2.
How Far Away Is A Cure For Herpes
To date, doctors and medical experts have been unable to find a cure for the herpes simplex virus. Researchers are actively searching for new treatments in order to combat herpes.
While the virus has successfully evaded efforts to isolate and destroy it, there are signs of hope on the horizon. A recent Financial Market Brief press release indicates that a potential vaccine is being actively tested, with two treatments promising up to 93.67% efficacy in stopping HSV-1 and HSV-2 infection.
The proposed vaccine candidates â HerpaGreens and Herpesyl â contain mutations of the herpes virus that could safely replicate and infect new cells at the site of injection. The study, entitled Assessment of Two Novel Live-Attenuated Vaccine Candidates for Herpes Simplex Virus 2 in Guinea Pigs, can be viewed on the MDPI website here.
While both vaccine candidates have been deemed safe, they are still a long way from availability to the public. The stringent testing and clinical trial phases can take up to 12 years, meaning that â while hope for a cure is on the horizon â treatment and prevention efforts are the best course of action to stop herpes from spreading.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Herpes Outbreak
Symptoms Of Genital Herpes
Many people who have genital herpes may not be aware they have the infection, because they may not have any symptoms.
The first episode of herpes can cause considerable pain and distress. Symptoms of the first episode may include:
- flu-like symptoms such as feeling unwell, headaches and pains in the back and legs, with or without enlarged glands in the groin
- small blisters around the genitals these break open to form shallow, painful ulcers, which scab over and heal after one to two weeks
- small cracks in the skin with or without an itch or tingling
- redness or a distinct rash
- some people also have considerable pain and swelling in the genital area, and hence may have additional pain and difficulty passing urine.
Genital Herpes And Pregnancy
Women with herpes before pregnancy can usually expect to have a healthy baby and a vaginal delivery.
If you have genital herpes during pregnancy, theres a risk your baby could develop a serious illness called neonatal herpes.
This can be fatal, but most babies recover with antiviral treatment.
The risk of your baby getting neonatal herpes is low if you have had genital herpes before.
Its higher if you get genital herpes for the first time in pregnancy.
Read Also: How Often Are Herpes Outbreaks
Types Of Herpes Treatment:
Herpes treatment can be administered in several ways depending a lot of the time on the victims own choice. Many people who have suffered from herpes for a number of years have discovered their own effective herpes treatment and these can range from pharmaceutical products either bought over the counter or prescribed by their doctor to home made recipes which they swear by.
Herpes Causes And Risk Factors
Causes of herpes include acquiring the virus through sexual contact, coupled with immune system suppression and sometimes nutritional deficiencies.
HSV-1 is primarily transmitted by oral-oral contact. On the other hand, HSV-2 is considered a sexually transmitted disease and usually passed during oral or vaginal sex.
A scary finding is that more cases of genital herpes than ever before are now being caused by HSV-1 , and about 85 percent of people with genital herpes dont even know it. Studies show that about 50 percent of the new genital herpes infections in young adults are due to HSV-1 and about 40 percent in older adults. The fact that most people dont ever find out theyre infected is one of the reasons that transmission rates are steadily climbing.
Risk factors for acquiring herpes include:
- Kissing someone who has symptoms of an active herpes virus
- Engaging in any form of unprotected sex
- Having sex with multiple partners
- Spreading the virus through contact with cold sores on the eyes, secretions on the fingers, or ulcers/sores on buttocks and upper thighs
- Having certain other illnesses that lower immune function, such as HIV/AIDS, an autoimmune disorder or hepatitis
- Eating a poor diet that causes nutrient deficiencies and lowered immunity
- Smoking cigarettes, drinking high amounts of alcohol or abusing drugs
Recommended Reading: Can You Catch Herpes From Kissing
What Are The Types Of Herpes Viruses
Herpes is a group of contagious viruses. All of these viruses cause blisters and sores. Some of the more common herpes viruses include:
- Type 1: HSV-1, or oral herpes, causes cold sores to form on lips, gums, tongue and inside the mouth. It can cause genital herpes in some cases This type usually spreads through saliva when you kiss someone with open herpes sores. You can also get HSV-1 by sharing items like toothbrushes, lipsticks or eating utensils.
- Type 2: HSV-2 causes genital herpes.
- Herpes zoster: This virus causes chickenpox and shingles.
How To Get Rid Of Herpes On Face With Essential Oils
#how to get rid of herpes sores fast & home remedies for vaginal herpes
- Take some fresh essential oil of your choice.
- Dip the cotton balls in the essential oil.
- Apply the essential oil on to your herpes with the help of cotton balls.
- Let it dry and leave it for overnight.
- Else you can rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat this procedure thrice a day.
How It Works
Essential Oil is another option for hsv2 cure. Because various home remedies for herpes can cause side effects to your skin on the genitals. So, for genital herpes on buttocks, vaginal canker sore, herpes sore on lip etc you can try this essential oils remedy. Hence try our tips on how to get rid of bumps on vag as HSV Cure.
Herpes Prevention or Prevent Herpes Outbreaks
- Avoid and limit having multiple sex partners.
- Try to avoid being prone to any Sexually Transmitted Diseases like Genital Warts, Chlamydia etc.
- Also, try to boost your immune system with good and healthy planned diet.
- Avoid Oral and physical intercourse with your partners as they may also get infected with herpes.
- Ask your partner if he or she has ever had herpes or any other STD.
- Furthermore, take prevention tips and precautions before having intercourse with your partner.
- Also, try to plan a lifestyle which you do not feel stress.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q is herpes curable or can herpes be cured or can you get rid of herpes?
Q does herpes itch?
Q should I pop herpes blister?
Q why no cure for herpes?
Read Also: Can You Take Amoxicillin For Herpes
How To Get Rid Of Herpes Naturally
Not every person with a herpes infection actually experiences breakouts of cold sores throughout his or her lifetime or even after initially becoming infected. How often someone has a herpes cold sore outbreak, how severe the outbreaks are, how contagious someone is after infection and how long the sores take to heal all depend on someones individual immune response.
1. Boost Nutrient Intake
If youre going to keep the herpes virus from frequently causing outbreaks, the first step in how to get rid of herpes is to improve immune function by boosting nutrient intake. Include these healing foods in your diet to keep the virus dormant as much as possible:
2. Avoid Inflammatory Foods
Certain foods can raise inflammation, weaken immune defenses and make skin irritation even worse. Avoid the following foods as much as possible to limit outbreak severity and duration.
3. Consider Supplements
- Antiviral herbs: These include elderberry, calendula, echinacea, garlic, astragalus and licorice root.
- L-lysine : Can help treat and prevent outbreaks.
- Lemon balm extract: Apply as a topical cream for healing.
- Vitamin C : Vitamin C boosts immune function improving herpes.
- Zinc : Zinc benefits include supporting immune function, keeping viruses dormant and rebuilding skin tissue to speed up healing.
- B-complex : B vitamins help your body deal with stress and can prevent outbreaks.
4. Try Essential Oils
5. Ease Cold Sore Pain Naturally
Home Remedies For Herpes Outbreaks: This Is How To Get Rid Of The Annoying Blisters
Herpes is an itchy and unpleasant virus. Although there is currently no cure, there are some natural homemade remedies that can help to alleviate the symptoms of the annoying blisters.
Herpes Simplex Virus 1 , more commonly known as oral herpes, is an infection that affects the mouth and surrounding skin. Herpes causes sores and blisters which can be very itchy and painful. The virus is spread through oral contact, such as kissing, or sharing objects such as toothbrushes, with someone who is already infected. Herpes is very common, with a 2015-2016 study by the Centres of Disease Control and Prevention concluding that 47.8 percent of the US population between the ages of 14-49 have HSV-1.
The virus is not curable, so once you become infected there is not much that you can do. Stress, too much sunlight or a weakened immune system are some of the triggers that can cause a herpes outbreak. There are some natural, homemade remedies that you can use to help alleviate the symptoms.
Don’t Miss: Can You Be Born With Herpes
Use Tea Bag To Cure Lip Sores
You may not know that apart from tea being a beverage it is also a perfect home remedy for mouth sores. Tea relives pain and neutralizes the acid that is responsible for the irritation because of its alkaline nature.
- Take a tea bag and soak it with some water then apply it on the sore. This will relieve the pain temporarily. The sores will clear out gradually within 5 days.
The home remedies for mouth sores discussed above will help get rid of ulcers on the tongue lips and inside of the cheek fast.
Also Check: Can I Have Kids If I Have Herpes
How K Health Can Help
Did you know you can get affordable primary care with the K Health app? K doctors are able to treat herpes with medication, but patients must be diagnosed already. If youre worried that you might have genital herpes, a K doctor can refer you to a physician for an in-person visit. to check your symptoms, explore conditions and treatments, and if needed text with a doctor in minutes. K Healths AI-powered app is HIPAA compliant and based on 20 years of clinical data.
K Health has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. We avoid using tertiary references.
Don’t Miss: Topical Numbing Cream For Herpes
Herbs Supplements And More For Genital Herpes
Scientists have studied herbal extracts and nutritional supplements based on some herpes patients’ claims that they help relieve symptoms. Some study results have been promising, others discouraging.
Many people say that an extract of the echinacea plant helps boost the immune system’s ability to fight infection. Some say it decreases the frequency and severity of genital herpes outbreaks. Researchers in the U.K. compared the effect of echinacea with that of a placebo. They gave echinacea to 50 people with genital herpes for six months and a placebo for another six months. There was no significant difference in the number of herpes outbreaks during the two periods.
Another study showed that an ointment containing propolis, a waxy substance that honeybees make, may help herpes sores heal. Sores healed faster for people using the propolis ointment than in those using ointments containing the antiviral drug acyclovir or a placebo. The ointment was applied to herpes sores four times a day. After 10 days, 24 of the 30 people using propolis ointment said their sores healed, compared with 14 of the 30 people using acyclovir ointment and 12 of the 30 using a placebo.
Researchers have also found that the herb Prunella vulgaris, and an edible mushroom, Rozites caperata , contain chemicals that fight both HSV-1 and HSV-2.