Is There A Cure Or Treatment For Herpes
Theres no cure for the herpes virus yet. A herpes vaccine doesnt currently exist, as the herpes virus has more complicated DNA than most infections, creating challenges for researchers.
However, medication can help with symptoms, like sores, and outbreaks. Medication also lowers the risk of transmission to others. You can take most medications for herpes orally, though you may also apply some as a cream or receive them by injection.
So What Is The Best Herpes Treatment
Valaciclovir and aciclovir have both been proven to reduce the length and severity of herpes outbreaks. Studies show that both treatments are as effective as each other. Aciclovir is a more cost-effective option, however, valaciclovir offers a more convenient dosing regime. Ultimately, this comes down to personal preference, and what works best for you. Before seeking treatment, you should speak to your doctor or pharmacist for medical advice.
Whilst all of our content is written and reviewed by healthcare professionals, it is not intended to be substituted for or used as medical advice. If you have any questions or concerns about your health, please speak to your doctor.
. Only one-third of individuals appear to develop symptoms at the time of acquisition of infection with HSV-2. Incubation of infection from acquisition to first clinical signs and symptoms in this minority of individuals ranges from 2 days to 2 weeks.
. Infection may be primary or non-primary. Disease episodes may be initial or recurrent and symptomatic or asymptomatic. It is likely that the majority of infections are acquired subclinically.
. Prior infection with HSV-1 modifies the clinical manifestations of first infection by HSV-2, usually making symptoms less severe.
. After childhood, symptomatic primary infection with HSV-1 is equally likely to be acquired in the genital area or oral areas.
Best Vitamin D Supplement: Pure Encapsulations D3 Liquid
- Pros: vitamin D can support the immune system, easy to take
- Cons: expensive, delivers above recommended daily dose of vitamin D
This vitamin D3 tincture is free of gluten and genetically modified organisms and suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Pure Encapsulations claims this product may help improve cardiovascular and immune health and support bone, prostate, and colon function.
The serving size of this tincture is five drops. The product labeling states each serving contains 25 micrograms of vitamin D3.
This product is suitable for vegans who want to supplement their food with more vitamin D3, especially those who prefer a liquid form rather than a tablet.
Pure Encapsulations D3 Liquid cost $34.95.
- Pros: may support the immune system, can be added to drinks
- Cons: delivers significantly more vitamin E than daily allowances recommend
These raw vitamin E capsules do not contain any GMOs, synthetic binders, fillers, or artificial flavors. Additional ingredients of this product include fat-soluble vitamins A, D, K, and selenium.
Garden of Life claims these vitamin supplements can help support eye and immune health.
This product is also suitable for vegetarians.
The company recommends people take two capsules daily, either with or without food. A person can also break the capsules apart and add the powder to their drinks.
Each serving size has the following nutritional facts:
- Vitamin A: 900 mcg
Medical professionals may also recommend prescription gels or ointments.
You May Like: How To Stop Herpes Outbreaks During Period
What Is The Best Treatment For Herpes
- What is the best treatment for herpes?
In 2015 the World Health Organization said two-thirds of the world population have oral herpes. Every person has at least once asked himself what is the best treatment for herpes. Not because it is dangerous, but because it hurts and is unaesthetic.
We know that cold sores have nothing to do with a cold. Though they may appear exactly when we catch a cold, like the cherry on top of a cake, the cold is not what causes it.
Cold sores mark an outburst of infection with Herpes Simplex Virus which gives us the disease called Herpes labialis.
Also called fever blisters, they can show up anywhere on your body: outside of your mouth and lips, nose, cheeks, or fingers. I have seen pictures online that completely turned my stomach upside down. So gross, so hideous and surely very painful. But of course these are cases when herpes is associated with other diseases or/and on an immunodeficient system.
Generally the episodes of herpes labialis are self-limiting conditions and would normally heal within 10 to 14 days, if left untreated. But today people dont let them heal by themselves and immediately apply something on it. Like Acyclovir.
The downside of this drug is that it works best ONLY when started at the first sign of an outbreak. It may not work as well if you delay treatment. And thats not such a good thing, as you may be in an area where you cannot find a pharmacy.
Does acyclovir has any side-effects?
Are There Alternative Remedies For Cold Sores
Yes, there are. There are natural antivirals, starting from colloidal silver to numerous essential oils, which we can find today integrated in easy-to-apply lipsticks, creams or lip balms.
Propolis is also an excellent antiviral .My husband is a bearer of the virus and I have always treated his outbursts with propolis tincture . If I apply it from the first signs, he only needs 2 drops applied 3 times per day and thats it.And recently a new study proved this for all non-believers.
Don’t Miss: Is Herpes Part Of Std Testing
Recommendations About Diet For Herpes Sufferers
In this section you will be able to read recommendations including which foods to eat and which to avoid in your diet and why.
The list of recommendations is listed first, followed by an explanation of each recommendation.
If you are infected with the herpes simplex virus, you should commit to the following recommendations:
- Eat a diet high in lysine and low in arginine.
- Say no to coffee, tea and chocolate.
- Do not eat moldy food.
- Avoid alcohol or reduce your alcohol intake to a minimum.
- Reduce sugar consumption.
- Eat a diet without processed foods.
- Avoid dehydration.
List Of Foods High In Lysine And Low In Arginine
Food specialists elaborated a table applying the described procedure which contains an ordered list of foods in which the lysine-arginine ratio is greater than 1, i.e., they are foods that contain more lysine than arginine.
The Ultimate Herpes Protocol
The Ultimate Herpes Protocol.
The information provided in the table is very useful for the conformation of a diet for herpes sufferers.
|Ordered list of some foods according to lysine-arginine ratio|
|Source: The Ultimate Herpes Protocol book.|
Don’t Miss: How Do You Know If You Ve Got Herpes
Aloe Vera Gel For Herpes
Fresh aloe vera gel
What You Have To Do
You can also use organic aloe vera gel that you find in the market.
How Often You Need To Do This
Do this thrice a day.
Why This Works
Aloe vera has more than 70 potentially active components that exert multiple beneficial effects on the skin. Application of this gel will reduce inflammation, soothe and moisturize the skin, have antiseptic and antiviral effects, and also quicken the healing process .
Dont Miss: What Are Some Signs Of Herpes
Who Might Get Herpes Simplex
People of any age can contract herpes simplex. You are more likely to get the virus if you:
- Were assigned female at birth.
- Have had multiple sex partners.
- Started having sex at a young age.
- Have a history of any sexually transmitted infection .
- Have a weakened immune system.
- Dont use condoms for intercourse and dental dams for oral sex.
Who gets HSV-1, commonly known as oral herpes?
Anyone can get HSV-1. Most people contract HSV-1 during childhood. It spreads when an adult who has the virus has close contact with a child, such as when a family member kisses a child.
Who gets HSV-2, commonly known as genital herpes?
Genital herpes affects sexually active teens and adults of all genders and races. It can spread if you have multiple sexual partners and dont use condoms or dental dams.
People assigned female at birth are more at risk. Delicate vaginal tissue can tear, making it easier for the infection to get in. Black people who were AFAB are especially vulnerable, with an estimated 1 in 2 people AFAB between the ages of 14 and 49 infected with HSV-2.
Recommended Reading: Can You Sue If Someone Gives You Herpes
How Can I Best Learn To Cope With Herpes Simplex
Some people feel distressed or embarrassed about their herpes simplex infection. Its important to understand that the herpes virus is common. For most people, herpes doesnt significantly interfere with daily life.
To cope with negative feelings, you may consider:
- Connecting with others through support groups or online forums.
- Sharing your feelings with a trusted friend or loved one.
- Speaking with a therapist.
Why You Should Buy The Best Propolis Ointment For Herpes On Amazon
There is a reason why many people prefer buying products from Amazon. Despite being a credible platform, Amazon has a variety of laptops and also works directly with manufacturers. This means that instead of purchasing your laptop from a retailer, you get it directly from the manufacturing company.
Amazon serves as a third-party and works with various manufacturers across the world. The good thing about Amazon is that it offers a perfect guide about each type of laptop.You will see a clear description of each Propolis Ointment For Herpes. This makes it easy for you to make the right decision.
For instance, the guide has information regarding the specs of the Propolis Ointment For Herpes you want such as brand, size, function among other features. In case you want a Propolis Ointment For Herpes with specific features, then Amazon has the best search tools. All you have to do is to key in the features you prefer and a list of laptops will appear on your screen.
Also Check: Is Herpes Type 2 Curable
How To Cope With Side Effects
What to do about:
- headaches make sure you rest and drink plenty of fluids. Do not drink too much alcohol. Paracetamol is safe to take with aciclovir if you need a painkiller. Speak to your doctor if this does not help or your headaches are severe.
- feeling dizzy if aciclovir makes you feel dizzy, stop what youre doing and sit or lie down until you feel better. Do not drive, ride a bike, or use tools or machinery if you feel dizzy.
- feeling or being sick stick to simple meals and do not eat rich or spicy food. It might help to take your medicine after you have eaten. If youre being sick, try small, frequent sips of water to avoid dehydration. Signs of dehydration include peeing less than usual or having dark, strong-smelling pee.
- diarrhoea drink lots of fluids, such as water or squash, to avoid dehydration. Signs of dehydration include peeing less than usual or having dark, strong-smelling pee. Do not take any other medicines to treat diarrhoea without speaking to a pharmacist or doctor.
- skin being sensitive to sunlight stay out of bright sun and use a high factor sun cream even on cloudy days. Do not use a sun lamp or sun beds.
- burning or stinging feeling after applying the cream this usually goes away after a short time. Ask a pharmacist or your doctor for advice if it continues to be a problem.
- itchy, dry or flaking skin try using an unscented moisturiser. Do not apply the moisturiser at the same time as your aciclovir cream.
Dont Miss: Does Witch Hazel Help Herpes
How To Get Rid Of Herpes The Conventional Way
For most people with herpes, the virus typically represents nothing more than an inconvenience however, the real risk is for immuno-compromised patients who cant easily manage infections. In these patients, such as those with HIV/AIDS, herpes simplex infection is associated with increased morbidity and mortality.
As of 2017, there is not currently a herpes vaccine available to prevent HSV-1 or HSV-2.
Doctors sometimes prescribe medications to help keep the herpes virus suppressed or to speed up healing of cold sores by reducing bacteria that can cause infections. Some medications that are now used to control herpes include:
- Nucleoside analogues and antiviral medications
- Creams/ointment to help lower pain and inflammation near the site of sores
- Over-the-counter painkillers to reduce aches, tenderness or fever
However, its important to understand that even with early detection and prescription medications, either form of the herpes virus cannot be totally cured so transmission is always still possible. Medications for viruses dont always work long term and are not a cure-all.
Read Also: Can Abreva Help Genital Herpes
Herpes And Processed Foods
The list of foods to avoid by herpes sufferers is not complete without processed foods which include canned meats, precooked foods, snacks and bottled beverages.
These foods, in addition to having a low nutritional level, contain artificial ingredients that can be harmful to health and therefore should not be included in the diet for herpes sufferers.
One of these artificial ingredients is sulfite which is added as a preservative. The U.S. FDA declared that safe sulfiting agents are sodium sulfite, sodium and potassium metabisulfite, sodium and potassium bisulfite and sulfur dioxide.
Sulfites can cause adverse reactions, sometimes serious, in asthmatic persons and also in persons without allergic history. The most common symptoms are hives, diarrhea, nauseas, tightness in the chest, flushing and weakness.
The diet for herpes sufferers should be based primarily on foods free of artificial components.
Drug Treatment For Genital Herpes
If you are infected with genital herpes, your doctor may prescribe oral antiviral drugs to help ease your symptoms during both a first episode and recurrent episodes. Your doctor may also suggest taking antiviral drugs daily as a suppressive therapy to reduce symptoms and protect partners.
Remember, though, that antiviral drugs do not wipe out the virus completely. It continues to live in your body, so if you stop taking the drugs that suppress it, you may have more frequent or more intense symptom outbreaks, and the risk of your transmitting the virus to others rises.
Three antiviral drugs, all taken by mouth, are used to treat genital herpes:
Also Check: Can You Tell How Long You Ve Had Herpes
Don’t Miss: Why Is My Herpes Outbreak Getting Worse
How Is Genital Herpes Managed Or Treated
If you have mild symptoms or infrequent outbreaks, you might not need or want treatment. During an outbreak, these steps can ease symptoms:
- Apply an ice pack to your genitals. Wrap the ice pack in a washcloth or apply it over your underwear.
- Keep your genitals dry. Wear cotton or other nonsynthetic underpants and avoid tight-fitting clothes. Moist sores take longer to heal.
- Soak in a warm bath.
- Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve pain.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing.
- Topical 1% or 2% lidocaine may be used as topical analgesic
Antiviral medications can prevent outbreaks. They can also lessen symptoms and help symptoms go away faster. You take this medicine as a pill or intravenous injection. When taken daily, antivirals can prevent an outbreak. They lower the chances of spreading the virus to other people.
Prevention Of Genital Herpes
The best protection against STIs is to always use barrier protection such as condoms, female condoms and dams . Because herpes is spread by skin-to-skin contact, condoms will reduce the risk of transmission, but it will not protect sexual partners completely as condoms do not cover the entire genitals.
Using lubricant with a condom during sex will also reduce the risk of trauma to the genital skin. This has been shown to reduce HSV transmission, especially in the first six months of a sexual relationship. Silicone-based lubricants are recommended.
Remember that herpes transmission can occur when symptoms are present , but may also occur even if there are no genital symptoms through asymptomatic viral shedding.
For people who have frequent episodes of genital herpes, antiviral medication, taken daily, helps to reduce transmission of herpes to a sexual partner.
Read Also: What Can I Use To Treat Herpes
Medicare Coverage Of Std Treatments And Screenings
If youre seeking Medicare coverage for STD treatments, scroll down to the section on prescription drug coverage. According to the National institutes of Health, STD treatments generally include prescription drugs, such as antibiotics.
Prevention and screening may help you avoid having to get STD treatments. Medicare may cover screening for sexually transmitted diseases , also known as sexually transmitted infections , under Medicare Part B as a preventive service benefit.
While it may not cover STD treatment, Medicare Part B may cover screening lab tests for chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis and/or hepatitis B. These screening lab tests may be covered if you are pregnant and/or who have an increased risk for an STD. Medicare will also cover short counseling sessions on STD prevention to those at risk.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends getting screened for an STD if you:
- Have had multiple sex partners
- Have a new sex partner
- Have a sex partner whos infected with an STD
- Are a man who has had sex with men
- Use street drugs and share your equipment with anyone
STD screenings and behavioral counseling may be provided at no cost if your doctor accepts Medicare assignment and determines you are at an increased risk for contracting an STD. If you receive behavioral counseling, you must receive the counseling from a primary care practitioner in a primary care setting, such as a doctors office, or it might not be covered.
Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- Ive had chickenpox. Am I at risk of developing shingles?
- What is the best treatment for my shingles?
- The pain from shingles isnt going away. What can I do to make myself more comfortable?
- Im on treatment for shingles. When should I call my doctor if things dont get better?
- I have shingles and my children havent had the chickenpox vaccine. Should I get them vaccinated?
- Is the shingles vaccine right for me?
- Are there any risks associated with the shingles vaccine?
- Will my post-herpetic neuralgia ever go away?
- If Ive never had the chickenpox, should I still get the shingles vaccination?
Also Check: How To Make Herpes Bumps Go Away